Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-11-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
e_roehm23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
On the fence about solids...

DD is 7 mos and I am exclusively pumping, so she gets a 6 oz bottle about every 3 hrs and before naps/bedtime. Plus she wakes 1x a night for a 6 oz bottle. I've tried giving her baby purees but it just pools in the front of her mouth, then she quickly sticks her two middle fingers (she's a finger sucker) in her mouth. It's like she is using that as a means of pulling the food to the back of her mouth and swallowing, kwim?

On the other hand, I have tried just giving her soft table food, but either she doesn't seem interested, or she just keeps knocking off the tray. I really don't know much about BLW, so I don't feel very confident in the types of food, food size, etc. I feel like I need to get her started on solids, but I'm not sure if she is just not ready or if I'm doing something wrong. We started my son on store bought baby purees when he was like 4-5 mos and I don't remember it being this complicated. Like I said, I'm just on the fence.

Advertisement

My ISO/IHA http://diaperswappers.com/forum/show....php?t=1327857
e_roehm23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Re: On the fence about solids...

We are doing BLW this time around (did purees with my older 2) and I am LOVING it. She has been EBF and we started solids a few days before she turned 9 months. We have done avocados (cut sorta like french fries), Bananas, canned green beans (from my gma's garden, YUM) and this week we started carrots. For the carrots I got frozen crinkle cut carrots and I steam them. She has done well with all of it. It did take her an entire week before she even took a bite though. The first week she felt the food and she licked it. I honestly think BLW is SO much easier.

Your not a woman until people come out of your vagina and step on your dreams. Louis C.K.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
My daughter was not remotely interested in solids until almost 8months.

Sounds like he's just not ready yet. Follow his lead and wait until he shows an interest. Some babies wait until almost a year before they want food.

The whole BLW thing has less to do with table foods vs purees. It just gets distorted that way.

The idea is simply that you let baby lead in the milk to solids weaning process. So no forcing purees into an uninterested baby. If you wait until they are interested, believe me, they will get it into their mouths.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
hibiscus869
Registered Users

I tried offering food to my LO (purees and regular food) staring at around 8 months, but she actually didn't eat more than a half teaspoon of anything until I fully weaned her at 19 months. Like others have said I think you have to follow their lead.
hibiscus869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #5
AddaboysMom
Registered Users

I also exclusively pump for my 9-mo-old and he's totally uninterested in being spoon fed. He does seem to like solids such as the squash "crackers" I make for him in the food dehydrator, but he doesn't so much eat them as "cookie monster" them. I found it really liberating when we finally decided not to worry about it and figured he'll get what he needs from milk until he chooses to start eating.
AddaboysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
smeadows
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm not sure what BLW means but thank you for posting! I'm reading and trying to learn what to do for our LO when he starts. Sorry I don't have anything to add for help
smeadows is offline   Reply With Quote