Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #21
Registered Users
Re: When does fresh milk expire?

Originally Posted by Bethannp View Post
Where should I look to see if I can get in on a milk share or something like that in my area? has a great list of places to get it by state, as well as info on what's allowed where. it's a great resource for this sort of stuff!

as for the original question, raw milk doesn't really "go bad" like storebought milk which gets rancid. it just sours, and while it's not unsafe to drink at that point, we don't really love the taste, so we use it in cooking, baking, or making yogurt or something similar. you can also leave it out to clabber like a pp said. we've had milk up to 2 weeks before it starts to sour before. average is probably about a week for us. i don't think there's a set length of time. it all depends on the cow, the storage methods, etc. but like i said, even after it starts to sour, you can still do a lot of things with it we haven't had raw milk in forever! we had an awesome farmer when we lived in texas that we got the milk from, but since we've been in IL i just haven't had the chance to source it again, and of course, the price here is sooo much more expensive soon though! it's a priority for me to get some this spring!

Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote