View Poll Results: were you told you could not have kids and why?
no, i havn't been told that 13 40.63%
yes, I have PCOS and was told that but i have kids 5 15.63%
yes, i have other reproductive issues and have kids 4 12.50%
yes, I have a messed up uterus but have children 2 6.25%
No, I am unable to carry my own child 0 0%
other 8 25.00%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #21
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: were you told you couldn't have kids and have since carried a child to viability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
Well I voted other. My situation is a bit different and am not sure how applicable it is.

I never had any reason to expect any fertility issues. I got pregnant at 17, while using protection, and carried to full term with no complications.

When she was 17, I got married and DH and I began to try right away. We TTC for 6 yrs. We had lots of tests. In the end, we were able to get pregnant with an IVF. During the course of the IVF, we were told that DH had antisperm antibodies and that my eggs were prematurely aging and that we were not likely to ever conceive on our own together.

During DD2's first year we tried to save for another IVF, sure we weren't going to have any more kids without it. But then when she was 13 months old, we got pregnant on our own, not even trying, and in fact under quite a bit of stress from other things.

My youngest is now 19 months old, and amazingly, I am pregnant again, on our own, not trying but not preventing.

I do have to say, I haven't ever heard of "an underdeveloped uterus" so I wonder just what they mean by that.
My step DD's grandmother has an 'infantile' uterus. Basically when she was a fetus herself the docs thought that she may be twins and they did an x-ray to see for sure. It ended up that her uterus never developed past an infantile stage. They adopted DSD's mother and brother.

I guessing it the same sort of condition.

Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #22
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

I wasn't told that I would never conceive just that it was going to be super hard due the graves and pcos... On my first cycle with a different dr that prescribed femera I conceived, I'm considered high risk bc of the thyroid issues I've had but so far baby is doing perfect and none of the issues have come up

I agree that she needs a 2nd opinion!

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #23
RedheadMom09
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: were you told you couldn't have kids and have since carried a child to viability?

I have Stage IV endometriosis (the most advanced it gets) and was told by an OB that getting pregnant would not be difficult. NEVER get reproductive advice from an OB, go to a reproductive endocrinologist. Three years, 3 surgeries, 6 months of medically-induced menopause, and one IVF cycle later, I was pregnant - carried to term.

I also have a tilted uterus, but that has no impact whatsoever on a woman's ability to get pregnant. Doctors used to think it did, so all these patients got told they'd never conceive, but they were wrong. A tilted uterus is just a normal variation, it would be like telling someone that brown hair is the most common hair color, so if she's blond she'll never conceive. Stupid. (Of course, if it's tilted not from a normal variation but because of a disease process like endometriosis, that's different, but it's still the endometriosis that causes the difficulty getting pregnant, not the tilted uterus.)

It sounds like your sister has some sort of mullerian anomaly. There's a wide range of problems - and solutions - associated with these. Hopefully she's seeing a reproductive endocrinologist. As an infertility patient myself, the MOST ANNOYING THING was when family members or friends who didn't have severe fertility problems just assumed that they knew the solution to our problem (less stress, do it at the right time, quit trying so hard, etc.) It made me mad and it made them look stupid. Other than helping her get to a RE if she isn't already seeing one, don't try to advise her.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #24
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedheadMom09 View Post
It sounds like your sister has some sort of mullerian anomaly. There's a wide range of problems - and solutions - associated with these. Hopefully she's seeing a reproductive endocrinologist. As an infertility patient myself, the MOST ANNOYING THING was when family members or friends who didn't have severe fertility problems just assumed that they knew the solution to our problem (less stress, do it at the right time, quit trying so hard, etc.) It made me mad and it made them look stupid. Other than helping her get to a RE if she isn't already seeing one, don't try to advise her.
oh no, i know that part! It took us a year to conceive our first, and people kept saying "oh, you're young it will happen!" or "make sure you do it around day 14" or in this position or whatever thing they'd heard that made them an expert.....but thankfully, our others have come quickly.

I talked to my mom more this morning and she said it was just a gyn doctor. I told her she needed to run, not walk, to an RE b/c gyn's almost always go with a generic solution for fertility issues before they will refer (like, for example "we don't' know what's wrong, but lets throw some clomid at it for a few months and see what happens", when they could have been getting ACTUAL treatment for their specific issues and not generalized care, kwim?). My brother and SIL are the "whatever the doctor said is rule" type of people and are likely to accept whatever answer is given to them and not push further so I'm trying to help them get to a RE.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #25
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not me, but my SIL who is just one year older than me (she's 25) was told she couldn't conceive or carry a child because of something with her uterus. I forget what it was. They still tried anyway, just clinging to blind faith. Took a long time but last August my nephew was born a couple of days before his due date.