Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #41
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

Re: April Showers~ \*/ Garden Chat \*/

so fun seeing what everyone else is planting! it's probably a little early here, but i dunno, all of my seedlings were starting to die off, and i think they just needed to be put in the ground, so all the cold weather stuff went out this weekend. i planted my broccoli, cauliflower, and lettuce seedlings, and direct seeded radishes, onions, spinach, and kale (my spinach and kale seedlings were too far gone to save ) and, i expect seedlings to take a couple days to acclimate, and not look great at first, but i have to tell you, even though it's been chilly here the last couple days, many of the broccoli and cauliflower seedlings that were starting to die off have perked right back up now that they're in the ground and have some room to stretch! they probably just needed to be potted up, but i really didn't want to spend the money on a whole bunch of bigger pots for all of them. especially because, we're only a few weeks out from when i would have planted them anyways. and, according to a couple websites i've looked at, everything except the broccoli and cauliflower should mostly be fine right now anyways. but, we'll see. it's supposed to be cold again tonight, but then it should go back up a little higher, not as warm as it was a few weeks ago, but not near freezing anymore.

tomatoes, peppers, and tomatillos are still inside though. way too cold for them! i planted the peppers maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago, and my jalapenos still haven't come up. how long would you wait until you give up on them and replant?

Advertisement

Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #42
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My darn japenos took like 3 stinking weeks? I gave up on the bells and reseeded, nothing yet. I purchased good seeds, not sure what's going on because that's one of my main crops! Yellows and grean. I need those peppers. Not sure what to tell you other than they tak ea while. Mylong horn peppers never came up? I'm haveing a time with the peppers and cucs this year. My cabbage was looking rough, but it much better now. It's just been an off year for some plants here with the weird weather.

Wish I was more helpfull. Sorry to hear the kale and spinach didn't make it.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #43
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

ugh, yea i know peppers take longer, so i've been patient up until now. but seriously, i need to get these big enough to put out by mid-may before this baby comes or it's not happening! and my husband is mexican, promising him the makings for delicious homemade salsa and fresh peppers is a big part of my persuading him to go along with my crazy gardening schemes! plus, i just freaking love them. i think i'll go ahead and replant, but keep what i've already got and see if they come up after all. i'm pretty sure the seed is good, i did have one pop up, but my plant-murdering 2 yr old was so excited he plucked it out in his effort to "love on it"
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #44
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Haha! We love them too! I picked them and we eat tons of beans/pork/rice and tons of jalapenos with them!

Poor little fella just wanted to say welcome to the new plant! Sounds like my William!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 04-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #45
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liadan23
i did have one pop up, but my plant-murdering 2 yr old was so excited he plucked it out in his effort to "love on it"
Hahaha! I have one of those, too.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #46
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

aww, I have a almost two year old and he's so serious about the plants. LOL I swear he pets them like his kee-kees (kitties). I had really good luck getting my California bells to sprout indoors but the birds thought they were tasty and ripped them right out. The plants I got to sprout really well all came from the "seeds of change" packages.

got my little chicks today! One had pasty butt but he seems to be recovering. My "big girls" (almost 2wks) are having a hard time adjusting to the change. I feel so bad.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:46 PM   #47
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Are they in the coop now? Or with the new lo's? You will have to post some pics of the girls soon! I want to show Cayden some pics of what they will look like when they come. I haven't even had time to google some pics for him.

Well the freeze warning is ending after tonight, no more for tomorrow or next week!
Looks like some of the plants will be headed to the garden this week! Wish me luck! The cabbage is doing the best so it will be first. Then the pupmpins and watermellons will go down the hill. OOOOOO I can't wait to get out there! I'm excited to go check the grean beans in the morning. I didn't even get a chance to head down there today. They were cracking the ground and pushing through yesterday. The onions are all comeing up, yay!

I was potting some of the trays the other day and Cayden left William at the play area and came over to offer his help! He put all the dirt in the pots for me, did a great job
Old 04-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #48
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
Are they in the coop now? Or with the new lo's? You will have to post some pics of the girls soon! I want to show Cayden some pics of what they will look like when they come. I haven't even had time to google some pics for him.

Well the freeze warning is ending after tonight, no more for tomorrow or next week!
Looks like some of the plants will be headed to the garden this week! Wish me luck! The cabbage is doing the best so it will be first. Then the pupmpins and watermellons will go down the hill. OOOOOO I can't wait to get out there! I'm excited to go check the grean beans in the morning. I didn't even get a chance to head down there today. They were cracking the ground and pushing through yesterday. The onions are all comeing up, yay!

I was potting some of the trays the other day and Cayden left William at the play area and came over to offer his help! He put all the dirt in the pots for me, did a great job
Yay for no more freezing temps! I'm a bit worried, we have a storm coming in now and there's low night temps for the next couple days. I'm praying it doesn't freeze... please don't let it freeze! I'll lose a good chunk of what I've started. We don't normally get a freeze this late but with all the crazy weather who knows?

They're all inside right now, with a heat lamp in their boxes condo. It's still far too cold here at night and they're too little to go out yet. My "big girls" the 2 Rhode island reds and the 2 black sexlinks are only about halfway feathered out. They are around 2 weeks old. The little ones I just picked up are brand new, 2-3 day olds. Two still have remnants of their yolk sac and some shell on them. I misunderstood the guy, I thought when I spoke to him that they were already 3 day olds, and was thinking they'd be a week by the time I got them. I guess when I spoke to him they had *just* hatched. I cut a passage in between two boxes and taped them together so that I could position the heat lamp to have one room a little cooler and as a retreat for the big girls so that the littles would stop cornering them. Seriously, I think they forgot they were chickens. They were cowering in the corner like I'd released a pile of fluffy demons into their home. Well... they sorta are little terrorists. Awfully cute ones! There's one yellow/silver, two light tan and two darker brown all with the cute little poofy cheeks and chipmunk-y marking EE's are known for. Dh says I'm spoiling them too much. HA!
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:07 PM   #49
Bethannp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just planted my peppers a couple days ago. I'm worried about them though, IIRC they need it pretty warm to germinate and it's been so dang cold in my house (because it's been chilly outside, but I don't want to turn the heat back on)

I think some of my tomato seedlings may be out-growing their pots, but it's really to soon to plant them outdoors

I also have a plant-murdering 2 yo. He had done so good for the first couple weeks we'd had the seedlings indoors, he knew not to mess with them. Then I took them all outside when it was really warm a couple weeks ago to get extra air and sunlight and next thing I know, my 4 yo is running up to me tattling on the 2 yo for throwing the pots. I was able to save most of them though, and they've survived.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:12 AM   #50
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
Yay for no more freezing temps! I'm a bit worried, we have a storm coming in now and there's low night temps for the next couple days. I'm praying it doesn't freeze... please don't let it freeze! I'll lose a good chunk of what I've started. We don't normally get a freeze this late but with all the crazy weather who knows?

They're all inside right now, with a heat lamp in their boxes condo. It's still far too cold here at night and they're too little to go out yet. My "big girls" the 2 Rhode island reds and the 2 black sexlinks are only about halfway feathered out. They are around 2 weeks old. The little ones I just picked up are brand new, 2-3 day olds. Two still have remnants of their yolk sac and some shell on them. I misunderstood the guy, I thought when I spoke to him that they were already 3 day olds, and was thinking they'd be a week by the time I got them. I guess when I spoke to him they had *just* hatched. I cut a passage in between two boxes and taped them together so that I could position the heat lamp to have one room a little cooler and as a retreat for the big girls so that the littles would stop cornering them. Seriously, I think they forgot they were chickens. They were cowering in the corner like I'd released a pile of fluffy demons into their home. Well... they sorta are little terrorists. Awfully cute ones! There's one yellow/silver, two light tan and two darker brown all with the cute little poofy cheeks and chipmunk-y marking EE's are known for. Dh says I'm spoiling them too much. HA!
My just mad eme lol! Love it! What a great idea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethannp View Post
I just planted my peppers a couple days ago. I'm worried about them though, IIRC they need it pretty warm to germinate and it's been so dang cold in my house (because it's been chilly outside, but I don't want to turn the heat back on)

I think some of my tomato seedlings may be out-growing their pots, but it's really to soon to plant them outdoors

I also have a plant-murdering 2 yo. He had done so good for the first couple weeks we'd had the seedlings indoors, he knew not to mess with them. Then I took them all outside when it was really warm a couple weeks ago to get extra air and sunlight and next thing I know, my 4 yo is running up to me tattling on the 2 yo for throwing the pots. I was able to save most of them though, and they've survived.
Wow, nice save! I can't stop laughing at the term, "plant murdering" HAHA!!! Love it

I have yet to check the plants. I'll be doing that soon, prob when I get home from dropping Cayden off. I'm seriously hopeing the sheets protected my babies! It's 27 out right now. I hope it didn't get lower. The stupid weather is always off here. It wasn't supposed to get so low. Now I'm wondering about tomorrow night?