Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #81
sleepydaisy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Vegetarian/vegan chat and support thread. *April*

Quote:
Originally Posted by marenmccoy View Post
I don't know about the milk or yogurt, but the ice cream is awesome!
Well I wanna try that too, :-) Just not for everyday use. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janine View Post
The milk is okay. The yogurt is good, but thin. The ice cream is delish, but I still prefer their soy ice cream.
Well my son can't have soy..so looking for other options. SO far this is the only one I have found.

Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #82
sleepydaisy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody82414 View Post
I got a jar of tahini!

Now, what do I do with it?

Hummus!! Yummy. :-)
1 can garbanzos drained
2 Tbsp tahini
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 clove garlic (or more if like garlic)
salt to taste
1/2 cup water (approx).
Blend til smooth. Or you can use a food processor.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #83
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:
Red face Re: Vegetarian/vegan chat and support thread. *April*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmomma View Post
Janine--sounds so yummy

Michelle--uh-oh I bought kettle chips today. I never buy chips but I figure it will be a nice surprise for dh and the boys. I know I will eat to many though

So the one thing my grocery store does have is an amazing asian food section--this is extremely odd to me bc most of the products are organic and perservative free and there is no other organic food in the rest of the store except for sprout baby food.

So anyway does anyone have amazing asian food recipes? I do fried rice alot but looking to venture out lol!
I was sick to my tummy all night.....no more I tell ya. That grocery clearance store near me is really good about putting things like that for 1 or 2 bucks a bag so I usually snag them up thinking, oh we will use this for our upcoming party or trip. Then they sit in the cubbord just calling my name, I crack them open and pay the price. I really need to institute a no chip policy for myself.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #84
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:
Smile Re: Vegetarian/vegan chat and support thread. *April*

Quote:
Too true! This made me think about the time I went to a chinese place and ordered deep fried tofu and sweet sauce over white rice and some guy looks over and says- "Oh, tofu- healthy lunch!" Um, in that case, not really!
We get fried tofu at a snack fast food place at our local asian supermarket mall, the store is called First Tofu. They will put little soft noodles with mushrooms or onions inside. The tofu is so delicious and you get 5 pieces for a buck. I try my hand at making them at home, but without the stuffings inside because I have no idea how they do that. I just batter mine and fry them up. They go quickly!
Old 04-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #85
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Lundberg sea salt rice chips by the bagfull is common here

As for the tahini you can use it to make hummis and I know some people will but it on toast.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #86
MommaLEB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hello! My daughter, my husband, and I (Manda) are not strictly anything, but we try to keep animal products to a minimum in our house. DH and I were almost entirely vegan as part of our TTC journey, however, I ended up with hyperemesis which really messed with our eating. Right now we have our own crazy food rules which put emphasis on whole foods, very limited meat (mostly seafood) and limited dairy. We cook at home a vast majority of the time and all my baking (working on the bread) is vegan. I'm excited to see others with little ones living a veggie heavy lifestyle. One of my biggest concerns is packing veggie lunches. I'm really into bento style right now, but I can't wait to share ideas and recipes!

ETA: One of my biggest challenges is that L loves hummus, but chickpeas don't agree with her. I'm always on the lookout for hummus like recipes without chickpeas!

Last edited by MommaLEB; 04-12-2012 at 11:14 AM.
MommaLEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #87
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaLEB View Post
ETA: One of my biggest challenges is that L loves hummus, but chickpeas don't agree with her. I'm always on the lookout for hummus like recipes without chickpeas!
Have you tried using white beans instead? Like great northern or cannellini or navy beans? There's a restaurant near my house that does this and I actually prefer it.
marenmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #88
MommaLEB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Have you tried using white beans instead? Like great northern or cannellini or navy beans? There's a restaurant near my house that does this and I actually prefer it.
I haven't! I'm honestly very new to beans. I used to stick mostly to black and kidney, but I'm trying to expand my horizons.

MommaLEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #89
cody82414
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I eating a so delicious strawberry coconut milk.
Tastes like a jelly filled doughnut
Old 04-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #90
kismetbaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
That sounds so yummy, as does that veggie loaf! Gotta get into the kitchen- I can't believe you find the time for these thigns with a 3 month old, but I become useless with any young infant around, I find.
Well, i don't normally get much done at all with a 3mo and a 2.5yo! But that was for passover, so it called for some real cooking.

Quote:
I got a jar of tahini!

Now, what do I do with it?
mmmm, tahini. Besides hummus, I use it in salad dressings sometimes. You can also make a nice dip with it just add some hot water, lemon juice, salt and stir it up--good to drizzle over veg or falafel. You could also use it wherever you would use peanut butter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaLEB View Post
Hello! My daughter, my husband, and I (Manda) are not strictly anything, but we try to keep animal products to a minimum in our house. DH and I were almost entirely vegan as part of our TTC journey, however, I ended up with hyperemesis which really messed with our eating. Right now we have our own crazy food rules which put emphasis on whole foods, very limited meat (mostly seafood) and limited dairy. We cook at home a vast majority of the time and all my baking (working on the bread) is vegan. I'm excited to see others with little ones living a veggie heavy lifestyle. One of my biggest concerns is packing veggie lunches. I'm really into bento style right now, but I can't wait to share ideas and recipes!

Welcome and Hi! I second the white beans to make hummus with.

I love the So Delicious coconut stuff. The yogurt is a fav at our house, but I always get the plain b/c I find it a bit over-sweetened otherwise. Oh, they also do a kefir that is great!

Our current "project" is to ban all sugar and processed food from our house. So big purge next week. This means cooking almost entirely from scratch which will be challenging, but worth it I think. We're keeping ketchup and honey around, but almost everything else in a package or with any added sweetener is going to go. It's just too hard to resist when it's around.