Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #1
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
How many activities for a 2yo party?

We are having an art party for DD this weekend, and I have a ton of activities planned. Does this seem like too much going on for 8-10 toddlers?

-Handprint Poster Guest Book
-Crayon Car Drawing
-Painting/Vegetable Stamping
-Sidewalk Chalk
-Paint-filled Water Balloon Toss
-Bubbles
-Water/Sand Table

Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Yes, to me it seems a bit over whelming for everyone not just the kids For dd1 2nd bday we did a pin the nose on elmo game and then i laid out crayons and print offs of seasem street charactors. We did have side walk chalk available but i just let me do what they wanted after the pinning game. They all had a blast. We just had a cake for dd2s party for just us four and then the next day we took the girls to seaworld. Also a blast. Structured acitivites are fine! Just dont be surprised if the toddlers dont want to join. I would get rid of the paint filled.ballooons-that makes me picture a bunch of sugar highed kids.running around throwing paint balls on every thing and everyone lol

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
alabamafamily
Registered Users
seller

Re: How many activities for a 2yo party?

I would be concerned that anything with paint could get quite messy with that many toddlers involved. I do LOVE the idea of the sidewalk chalk and bubbles, though. That's pretty much all we've done for our two on their 2nd b'days. I think we added a few riding toys and maybe a ball to the mix. Good luck!
Old 04-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamafamily
I would be concerned that anything with paint could get quite messy with that many toddlers involved. I do LOVE the idea of the sidewalk chalk and bubbles, though. That's pretty much all we've done for our two on their 2nd b'days. I think we added a few riding toys and maybe a ball to the mix. Good luck!
We do have smocks for everyone and it's outdoors so mess isn't an issue. We are actually aiming for messy fun. Which of the art activities would you keep?
Old 04-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We're having ds2's 2nd birthday this weekend. However, we're having it an at awesome park (it's awesome, but no one really goes there so it will be pretty private). The kids will be mostly playing and I'll bring kites, frisbes, balls, etc. But we're not doing planned activities, toddlers just don't hold their attention that well.

So to answer the qustion, that seems to be a bit much. I know my 2 year old would be done after 1 activity, especially since he's really not into painting or getting messy.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #6
alabamafamily
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiiki View Post
Which of the art activities would you keep?

All of those things sound like a lot of fun! Maybe the handprint poster.....using a washable stamp pad rather than paints???? Or thumbprint bugs on paper (you or the parents would have to draw the legs) using the same stamp pad. I would just panic a little myself if I showed up to a toddler birthday party where open paint was involved - especially if we had somewhere to go afterwards. Even if their clothes are covered, inevitably someone with paint covered hands is going to touch something the shouldn't (like mommy's new blouse!).

Good luck! It's so much fun to plan b'day parties, isn't it????
Old 04-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #7
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I would keep them all but only do one or 2 stations at once and see how your time goes. I have planned parties with a few games thinking the kids would love the games or they would take a long time only to find myself with an hr to kill....so now I always overplan. If we don't get to them all, it's fine! At least I have back-ups. And I always do the ones my kids had specifically requested 1st.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Ok, so we are paring it down a little. We are going to do four "stations" with free play, plus the food table and seating areas. The party is 1.5 hours, so hopefully this will work:
Painting Station - one long piece of paper, brushes, stamps
Play-clay Station - plastic sheet, molding/rolling tools
Drawing Station - individual sheets of paper, stencils
Handprint Station - one long piece of paper, paint trays

Each kid will get a smock and we will have several wash-up stations with buckets and spray bottles (and plenty of rags!).