Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #11
ninny7
Registered Users
seller

Re: Cancelling Cable/Dish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teexie View Post
We got rid of cable about 3 months ago and do not miss it. We had the intention of getting an antenna and restarting Netflix, but we never did. I am so used to it now that I don't care anymore.
This

We cancelled about 6 years ago and just used local channels but 2 years ago we decided to go without any tv except movies with the kids and it has been great for our family.

Advertisement

ninny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #12
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

I keep trying to cancel cable and it never seems to work out. I cancelled it two years ago, it came off my bill (had it bundled with internet) but they never shut it off. My parents cancelled it when they moved out and we just moved into their old house and lo and behold they didn't shut it off here either. I don't get it, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. A girlfriend of mine shut off all her extraneous services when she moved out of her house for major renovations, and when she plugged everything in when they moved back in to make ready to call and have everything hooked back up they still had cable. She was pregnant at the time with her now 4 year old, and they still have cable.

Last edited by Computermama; 04-12-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #13
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We kept lowering our satellite pkg over the course of 2-3 years. Then last summer we finally dropped it altogether. We had a cheapy set of rabbit ears and the converter boxes you got "free" from the govt. when every station had to do the big digital switch. Last August, we were unimpressed with the quality of tv programming in general and we sold our TV's. After Christmas we got Netflix and watch it on our laptop and Kindle. We love it. It provides us enough quality control and there are tons of options for the kiddos.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:38 PM   #14
HRM's MOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post
I keep trying to cancel cable and it never seems to work out. I cancelled it two years ago, it came off my bill (had it bundled with internet) but they never shut it off. My parents cancelled it when they moved out and we just moved into their old house and lo and behold they didn't shut it off here either. I don't get it, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. A girlfriend of mine shut off all her extraneous services when she moved out of her house for major renovations, and when she plugged everything in when they moved back in to make ready to call and have everything hooked back up they still had cable. She was pregnant at the time with her now 4 year old, and they still have cable.
we have had the same problem we got the premium package when we signed up because it had the 6 month deal, well the deal ended and we cancelled it but still have it. We have called them 3 time to tell them about it and nothing has changed we even got more channels last year so we tried.

on a different note I am wondering how you are cancelling cable but still using netflix or roku because ours is a package deal I think we have to have the cable to have the internet. We did call and get the internet portion downgraded because it had gone up to 50.00 a month we cut back the amount of bandwidth we got and it is suppose to only be 19.99 now but I have not got the bill yet for this month so we shall see.
HRM's MOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:52 AM   #15
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRM's MOM View Post

on a different note I am wondering how you are cancelling cable but still using netflix or roku because ours is a package deal I think we have to have the cable to have the internet. We did call and get the internet portion downgraded because it had gone up to 50.00 a month we cut back the amount of bandwidth we got and it is suppose to only be 19.99 now but I have not got the bill yet for this month so we shall see.
When I called to drop the cable and phone, I got the customer retention department because I pushed the button for "change or drop services." I told them I was looking online at the offer for 20Mbps for 29.99 for the first six months then goes up to $44.00 a month. I was looking at the offer as I was talking to him. I told him that was what I wanted. He tried once to tell me that he couldn't do it because I wasn't a new customer. I just very calmly repeated that I was looking at it right online and that that was the deal I wanted. He then tried to suggest keeping a basic cable package, that with the internet would be like $50 or $60, I just again repeated that that was the deal I wanted. He told me he could do that, then was talking to himself as he was working on it and said "let me just reset you up as a new customer..." and got me all set.

I will say, he was like the third or fourth rep I talked to. The first two I got were stupid and I could hear the attitude in their voice when they first answered the phone. No, I am not going to be talking to someone who is full of attitude, so I made a token attempt, then hung up on them.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:36 AM   #16
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

In Germany basic tv is built in under a part of the rent. We have never had expanded cable or sattelite.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:56 AM   #17
Dawndelion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We were really concerned about dropping our satellite, especially since where we are we can't get any antenna reception because of the hills and trees. And we are a big TV family, we just like to watch it. But we finally took the plunge about a month ago, and we've been perfectly happy.

We stream Netflix through our Blu Ray player, and so far there have been plenty of choices for the kids. Our month free trial is up this weekend, so I am going to put it on hold and give the Hulu Plus free trial a shot. Then we'll make a decision as to keep one or the other or both or some combination of the above in addition to a mail service. Even if we kept both and went with the three disc out plan through Blockbuster, we'd be paying $36/month which is about $60/month less than we were paying before.

We may end up adding in a basic cable for a couple of weeks during the Olympics, or maybe during the winter when DH wants to watch football, but that should be pretty easy since we have our internet and phone through the cable company.
Dawndelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #18
Greenebean214
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawndelion
We were really concerned about dropping our satellite, especially since where we are we can't get any antenna reception because of the hills and trees. And we are a big TV family, we just like to watch it. But we finally took the plunge about a month ago, and we've been perfectly happy.

We stream Netflix through our Blu Ray player, and so far there have been plenty of choices for the kids. Our month free trial is up this weekend, so I am going to put it on hold and give the Hulu Plus free trial a shot. Then we'll make a decision as to keep one or the other or both or some combination of the above in addition to a mail service. Even if we kept both and went with the three disc out plan through Blockbuster, we'd be paying $36/month which is about $60/month less than we were paying before.

We may end up adding in a basic cable for a couple of weeks during the Olympics, or maybe during the winter when DH wants to watch football, but that should be pretty easy since we have our internet and phone through the cable company.
I checked antennaweb.org (or maybe webantenna.org?) And we should be able to get all basic channels plus some. We live in a flat area with no interferences. If we do cancel, I think we are going to get both huluplus and netflix. Let us know how you like huluplus!

Welcomed Liberty Grace May 12, 2011!
Greenebean214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:23 PM   #19
HRM's MOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
When I called to drop the cable and phone, I got the customer retention department because I pushed the button for "change or drop services." I told them I was looking online at the offer for 20Mbps for 29.99 for the first six months then goes up to $44.00 a month. I was looking at the offer as I was talking to him. I told him that was what I wanted. He tried once to tell me that he couldn't do it because I wasn't a new customer. I just very calmly repeated that I was looking at it right online and that that was the deal I wanted. He then tried to suggest keeping a basic cable package, that with the internet would be like $50 or $60, I just again repeated that that was the deal I wanted. He told me he could do that, then was talking to himself as he was working on it and said "let me just reset you up as a new customer..." and got me all set.

I will say, he was like the third or fourth rep I talked to. The first two I got were stupid and I could hear the attitude in their voice when they first answered the phone. No, I am not going to be talking to someone who is full of attitude, so I made a token attempt, then hung up on them.
good to know, funny as I did not tell you that when my DH called the lady on the phone said we could stick with what we got or go to the lowest bandwith as that was all they had, when he asked if it would run Netflix she gave some blah blah blah about how Netflix is a different company blah blah blah but my DH was like I know but I need to know if your service is going to be able to play netflix, she said just a moment and came back and offered him a 3rd option which I guess they did not have 3 mins ago when he asked Hahaha!! But that is the one we needed to play netflix.
HRM's MOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:16 AM   #20
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Just fyi, if you have an actual satellite dish and are no longer under contract, all you need is a friend, family member, etc that uses the same company. Say you have a dish satellite, find a friend (doesn't have to be local) that has dish. They call dish and request an additional receiver(s), you set it up at your house. As long as they are paying a bill with the satellite company you will also have satellite
You can agree to split the costs, or whatever agreement you work out. However if the account holder isn't local you will receive their local channels (like news stations.)