Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #21
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: If you WOH and have a toddler, how do you keep your house clean?

Yeah, I think this is one of the things that SAH or WOH is about the same. Because if you SAH your house just continues to get dirty all day long. If you WOH it is in the same condition you left it when you get home. In general the majority of the cleaning in my house is done before my two get up or after they go to bed. I get up to give myself an extra 30 minutes every morning if they haven't gotten up by their earliest time. In the evenings I'm up for several hours after they go to bed. If I clean for the first 30 minutes nonstop after they go to bed the house will be spotless.
If they're playing happily I do take the opportunity to clean up. Or if I'm heating up dinner and waiting on the microwave for 2 minutes (for example) I'll use those two minutes to clean the kitchen. Little things like that really help!

Something I've just figured out in the last couple weeks is to clean the bathroom while they take their bath. First I bath them and once we're done with that they play in the tub and I clean the tub (just with their bath water...no chemicals), sink area and toilet. That really helps because I used to spend my 30 minutes after they go to bed thorougly cleaning the bathroom. Now that I wipe it down during each of theirs baths I no longer spend any 'extra' time cleaning it!

Advertisement

Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #22
MJLViper
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyria2
I don't! lol. We do most of our cleaning on the weekends bc we are too tired at night to really do anything. I've also found that having company over is a good motivation to clean. Otherwise I don't really have much of a reason to.

Dh does the vacuuming and mowing. I do laundry and *most* dishes, he might argue that though. Everything else is as needed, or when it really starts to bother me.

Yes dh is a sahd (3days/wk anyway) but he is terrible at multitasking and usually naps during ds's nap bc he can't seem to go to bed before 1am.

eta, we also have 2 dogs, plus a cat, 3 people and soon to be another person. Honestly it really makes me feel better to know that other people struggle with this too. Sometimes I think if we had more space it would be easier to keep things at least looking picked up, but who am I kidding?
This. We do quick pickups every day. Dishes are always done, and things are cleaned if they need it. Sweeping is every other day. Laundry on weekends. One day during the weekend we do a "deep scrub", where we go room by room sweeping under furniture, dusting, washing floors.

I think what really keeps the mess down is that we have a "one toy limit'' in the living room. They can play as much as they want in their room, but it limits the mess to their room. When they were smaller wed have one small box of favorite toys in the living room. Our house stays pretty neat on an average day but my kids are 6, 6 and 4.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #23
diana51
Registered Users
seller
seller

I found a house cleaner who comes every other week for $40 a visit for 2 hours. I found her on Craigslist and she is a good amount cheaper than Molly maids. (I work from home so i'm not worried about her alone in the house). Even if she just came once a month and cleaned the showers and mopped all the floors that would be a big help. I've found that I have more time to organize and declutter now that I'm not constantly behind on the cleaning.

Last edited by diana51; 04-14-2012 at 07:19 AM.
diana51 is offline   Reply With Quote