Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #21
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy
My Mood:
Re: Help with night-training a older bedwetting child who sleeps like the dead

Actually in the book he doesn't recommend that...that's just something that has been done in the past. He recommends an x-ray, specifically looking at the rectum. (He says that if you don't specify "rectum" the radiologist may overlook it.)

I might have been too shy to approach a doctor and request an x-ray based on having read something in a book. I just lucked out that I already had radiographic evidence.

He also goes into some detail about why he thinks an x-ray is safe, and that there's a minimal amount of radiation for something like this.

Then he says he would be concerned about something like a CT, and (paraphrasing) that he'd have to be hit over the head with a bat to allow his kids to get a CT in most cases, due to the amount of radiation they get. Unfortunately I didn't know that when I had DS in the emergency room and he had a CT. But DS had an unusual day of getting injured in his abdomen and throwing up a ton, which turned out just to be coincidental, but I was worried he had a serious injury in there. Anyway, it was serendipitous because we would have never known about the constipation, much less his enlarged kidney (which turned out to be functioning okay so it's not an emergency, but it's good to know and keep an eye on it).

momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #22
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Help with night-training a older bedwetting child who sleeps like the dead

Hang in there...I have a 14 yo dd that still wets without her medication. Started taking it about 2 years ago when sleepovers bacame the "thing" and she was afraid to participate. She sleeps super heavy and still has an occassional accident after drinking soda, while ill or extremely tired. Try to find an absorbant night-time product that you can afford and wait it out. We kept thinking that it would happen any day so waited way to long to search for a reusable. We are now struggling with the same issue with our 4 1/2 year old. We are researching reusables early and know that this too shall pass...
Christian SAHM to Collin, Carissa & Mikhayla
mikabryce is offline   Reply With Quote