Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #11
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLump
It's not logical to say that hospitals shouldn't have formula. If a mother isn't going to breastfeed, then there has to be something to feed the baby. It would be like a hospital expecting you to provide your own food while there. Not gonna happen. What makes sense is having educated and trained nurses that don't offer formula to breastfeeding moms. And don't send it home with a breastfeeding mom. I was not offered any samples in the hospital and there were no samples in my gift bag. I think there were some coupons, but those are easily disposed of.
My friend had a baby in a baby-friendly hospital and they had milk bank BM. In the nicu they dont give formula, only BM.
They charge for EVERYTHING in the hospital. They should charge for formula if it is requested.
The other issue is that really it's not free. They charge more at the store to cover all the FREE formula they give away. In the end it doesn't help anyone because it might be free for a week but you then pay for it for at least the next year.

Advertisement

Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #12
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLump
It's not logical to say that hospitals shouldn't have formula. If a mother isn't going to breastfeed, then there has to be something to feed the baby. It would be like a hospital expecting you to provide your own food while there. Not gonna happen. What makes sense is having educated and trained nurses that don't offer formula to breastfeeding moms. And don't send it home with a breastfeeding mom. I was not offered any samples in the hospital and there were no samples in my gift bag. I think there were some coupons, but those are easily disposed of.
They should have it but only for a NEED. Even if the need is moms wants to formula feed. It shouldn't just be offered to every mom (especially breastfeeding moms) as a top off or in the form of gift bags. It does undermine breastfeeding and one missed feeding and bottle tends to lead to another forcing moms supply down and sabotaging the relationship. A lot of the "free" formula is provided by the formula companies because it is marketing and makes them more money in the long run.