Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-07-2006, 08:37 PM   #11
brayg
Registered Users

Re: Diaper prices

It all depends. And it's all relative. Is buying a $50 diaper ridiculous? Maybe. Is driving an SUV ridiculous? Maybe. Is buying steak instead of ground beef ridiculous? Maybe. Is throwing away $15-20 per week when using disposables ridiculous? It all depends on what your motivation is, I guess. And what else you spend your money on.

My dh and I don't go out. We don't pay a babysitter or spend money in restaurants. We don't drink or smoke. So I guess if I were to choose between a meal at a restaurant or a more expensive diaper (a gift that keeps on giving, IMO), I would probably opt for the diaper because it's not a one time use thing.

Advertisement

Old 07-07-2006, 08:51 PM   #12
sunshineandlove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am so stinking cheap. I like to keep fitteds around $10, I love being a tester for fitteds too. Since I like HH I would pay $15 for new if I couldn't find one used.
Wool, I can't speak to. $30 sounds reasonable as a limit to get a functional product but I totally understand why certain wool items cost much much more. I could never afford something like that but I do understand the craftsmanship it entails.

Happily cloth diapered 2 babies!
sunshineandlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:20 PM   #13
zonapellucida
Registered Users
seller

Location: Diligently working on getting out of the hellish state of FL
My Mood:

Just to add--I budget diaper mnoey I have spent LOTs this month which is why I ask
Old 07-07-2006, 09:46 PM   #14
Tymommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When I first started cd'ing I thought it was crazy! I couldn't believe I had to spend $15.00 on a pocket. Now though in speaking to more WAHM's I realize why some of the diapers are more expensive. I know right now I would never buy an expensive diaper (20.00+) just because I don't have the funds. If I did have the xtra money though and I loved the diaper I would spend it!
Old 07-07-2006, 10:05 PM   #15
MomsHelpingMoms
Registered Users
Formerly: teresaarrington
seller

I understand both sides. I started out cd'ing with only 3 fuzzi bunz (that is all I knew of the cloth world ). I would literally throw the diaper after a change into the washer and wash after 2 were in there, but I loved cd'ing and hated sposies. Then, I started making my own. Fabric is expensive! I buy only good stuff and a lot of times, I am barely making anything off of my diapers (not going under, but not making big bucks either). I feel that there should be great quality diapers and customer service for mommies to rely on. I would much rather sell 100 diapers at $9.00 (they're on sale right now) than 2 at $50. I cater to moms out there, just like me, that want good quality with out going broke. This cannot be said for everyone, but I certainly went into this thinking "save money". Now it is more like cuteness, and save money and planet, get it?

Miley Rae was born July 29, 2008 6lb3oz 19"
MomsHelpingMoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:20 PM   #16
Sarah
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I guess I'll spend whatever I have to in order to get what I want.

I recently spent well over $50 to get a soaker,yeah there are less expensive soakers out there,but I wanted this one.
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:38 PM   #17
kissum
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I once spent $100 on a set of Fluffymail shorties and a dipe.
kissum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:10 AM   #18
Adamsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My limit has slowly increased over the past 4 years of diaper shopping. I started out with 4 small FB and 2 doz infant prefolds and 6 proraps--now I don't use prefolds but only use fitteds/wool/pul covers and FB.

I will spend up to $20 for a fitted but like to stay around $15. For wool, I buy a lot used but would pay as much as $30 for wool.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:19 PM   #19
lararum
Banned

My limit has increased too. After having my not so successful diaper making experiments, I realized it's worth the money to spend 15-20 on a really good fitted. I bought an Ah May shorts set for 63 recently. Very worth it. You should absolutely notice a fabric quality difference. I do in the stash I have.
I'm on the wagon though(until next pay day! ). I'm trying to be good until it's time to order longies. We really do have enough dipes.
lararum is offline   Reply With Quote