Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-17-2012, 08:06 AM   #1
mom2corag's Avatar
Registered Users
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 720
Toddler Tooth Trauma

My 2.5yo dd did a faceplant two weeks ago and knocked one of her front top teeth loose. There was a lot of bleeding and screaming... but we both calmed down pretty quickly and I took her for an emergency appointment with her pediatric dentist. Boy was I glad that I had taken her for a few regular dental checks before this - she was perfectly happy to sit in the chair and let the dentist take x-rays. I was amazed. The dentist told us that it looked like there was a good chance that the tooth would heal itself back up, gave us a prescription for an antibiotic, and a list of restrictions (soft foods, no sippy cups, no sucking thumbs, etc.) and sent us on our way with a follow-up appointment scheduled for two weeks (yesterday afternoon).

Since the injury, she's done rally well. The tooth has firmed back up. It did slightly change colors, which I knew might be expected (looks somewhat yellow/purple, which is basically a bruise in the tooth). Yesterday at the appointment, the dentist took more x-rays - she did really well with this again, sitting in the chair by herself and holding perfectly still - and said that the root looks infected and he needs to extract the tooth. I was not at all prepared to hear that! Has anyone had an experience with this kind of a situation? From the reading I've done online, infections are usually associated with pain in/around the tooth and redness and swelling of the gums, but she doesn't have any of that. If it's inevitable that there will be a problem and we can take care of it now by pulling the tooth, okay, that makes sense to me... but my mom-sense is going crazy. Pulling the tooth will require sedation, which to me is even scarier than the extraction itself! I'm taking her to another dentist this afternoon to get a second opinion, since I feel like I need to be really confident that it's the right choice before doing something as drastic as pulling the tooth.

I should add that while I'd like her to keep the tooth to avoid her having a more difficult time with speech and eating for the next five plus years, the look/vanity consideration is a very small part of my concern. I know that some dentists offer a pulpotomy / baby root canal type procedure; I would opt to have the tooth pulled rather than put her though that.

I guess I'm looking for any advice from any moms who have had this happen? TIA!
mom2corag is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.