Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #11
Squig'sMumMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Home birth mamas I have a million questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
Get peroxide for any carpet stains! I got blood on my carpet and my midwife cleaned it before she left without me knowing! Wonderful woman!
Quote:
Originally Posted by javabarnes View Post
My midwife did the same! She also did the laundry (towels used and what I was wearing) and made me some wonderful lavender bath stuff!
Wow. You mamas are so lucky! Mine left things a bit messy (and cleaned a few things out of my fridge w/out asking... Us feeding them was never discussed prior to the birth). Luckily DH & MIL cleaned it all up, but they weren't happy about it >_> And since I had just food shopped before the birth and we're on a budget, food stuff was tight for a couple weeks

Advertisement

If there are any typos or grammatical errors I was probably NAK, apologies in advance!
Squig'sMumMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #12
junejay4life
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squig'sMumMum View Post
Wow. You mamas are so lucky! Mine left things a bit messy (and cleaned a few things out of my fridge w/out asking... Us feeding them was never discussed prior to the birth). Luckily DH & MIL cleaned it all up, but they weren't happy about it >_> And since I had just food shopped before the birth and we're on a budget, food stuff was tight for a couple weeks
Aww Sorry about that mama. My midwife did disclose to please have healthy snacks available for them and they cleaned up everything for me and did my laundry. I really did my midwifes
June wife to Jason. Mom to Kianna(8/4/02), Kody (4/23/04), Katalina (born at home 5/16/07) and Kaden (born at home 11/23/09) and baby #5 due 11/27/12

junejay4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #13
junejay4life
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaelynsmommy61607 View Post
At my appointment this week we talked about labor and birth. I still can't believe I have 9 weeks left! Anyhow I got my sheet if supplies I need to buy. One is the birth kit which is specific to my midwife. That's easy. But then the list of other things its vague.

It says at least 5 towels that you don't mind getting dirty...more for a water birth. So how many towels will I need for a water birth? And a small bottle of olive oil for babys butt and mom...what is this used for? It also mentions making your bed with your sheets, then a plastic liner and old sheets on top. Should I do that in labor? Or rather should DH the only other thing I can think of atm is if your birth pool was down the hall from the bathroom would you put down plastic in the hall to the bathroom?
For a Water birth I think my sheet said double the towels. I just brought a bunch out and my midwife knew where our extras were. I don't have any towels that I cared if they got stained or anything.

My birth kit came with the small bottle of olive oil. It was to help lube ya up as the head is crowning and to rub on the baby's butt to help with the meconium.

For the birth I did my sheets. Shower curtain, then old sheet. I didn't end up with anything on the bed so I left the old sheet and shower curtain on for the night because of any leaks.

Part of my birth kit had these large shaped diapers with no closure. I put that between my legs to get and and move to the bathroom ect with the help of my midwives.

Good luck to you mama!! My 2 homebirths were my best births
June wife to Jason. Mom to Kianna(8/4/02), Kody (4/23/04), Katalina (born at home 5/16/07) and Kaden (born at home 11/23/09) and baby #5 due 11/27/12

Old 04-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #14
almostcrunchy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The olive oil is for perineal massage (for you) and for getting meconium off (for babys bum)

My dh made the bed once I was in labor (funny because I'm pretty sure my homebirth supply list read the exact same as yours).

Good luck!
Old 04-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #15
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Silly question...is olive oil ok to use with cloth?
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #16
junejay4life
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaelynsmommy61607 View Post
Silly question...is olive oil ok to use with cloth?
I'm sure people would say no it's not. But I did. I used some fitteds and prefolds and I had no trouble at all.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:00 PM   #17
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used 2 towels.

I did not use olive oil on anyone's bum.

I did not make my sheets up with plastic, eventhough it was suggested, and my water did break in the middle of the night, it was a gush, but didn't get on my bed. After birth I just kept some spare chux pads in my bed so I could sleep naked and then slept with a pad in my underpants until lochia stopped for the rest of the time.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:05 PM   #18
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We had what seemed like a million towels for our planned waterbirth! Birth is messy. We had probably a dozen. Under the birth pool we had painters plastic, and then lined the bottom with towels all around. Our bathroom was close to the tub, so we didn't put any down the hall. One towel to dry off with next to the birth tub is a good idea. We lined our bed and our living room futon with painters plastic then put on old sheets. Even if you think you're going to give birth in the pool or a certain bed, never be too sure. We did end up having him on the living room futon, and I'm glad it was covered. Another thing to think about - old pillows and pillowcases. 2 of our nice pillows and cases were detroyed with birth fluid and blood when my water was broken, and they were really no where near that end. Make sure and use old sheets, pillows, pillowcases, blankets - ANYTHING you don't want stained. We used the olive oil to help me stretch when the pushing time came. I also reccommend a hot compress if there is time and you're not in the tub.

ETA: I re-read and it makes it sound like a messy disaster, it really wasn't until they artifically broke my waters at 9cm. It literally EXPLODED..everywhere. That's probably not the norm. Just something to consider.

Last edited by bigmamakelsey; 04-15-2012 at 10:08 PM.
bigmamakelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #19
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think your questions have been answered already, but I'll just throw my experience out there. I've had one home waterbirth and laboured in water and delivered on land for my second homebirth. We used one towel for me, and one for the baby (although I had more available). They were navy blue, and didn't stain at all. I did make up the bed with a set of sheets, a shower curtain, and another set of sheets. It wasn't necessary, but nice for peace of mind. And, I left it that way for a few days until my bleeding slowed down. (I did make the bed myself - good distraction in early labour.)
If your floors are carpeted, you might want to protect them with old towels, blankets, whatever. Mine are wood, and it was no problem at all.
We did not use olive oil. I'm not opposed to vaseline, so we used a bit of that on baby's bum to make for easier diaper changes. I use disposables for the first little while, and switch back to cloth when we're all back on our feet again.
My midwives give a pretty long list of supplies, including everything from bendy straws to enemas. I haven't gotten everything on the list. You can ask your midwife what her "essentials" are, and why, and go from there.

All the best for a great birth!