Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-14-2012, 03:23 AM   #11
Registered Users
I agree with everyone else. Your baby is doing perfectly fine and you're doing a great job! I'm appalled that a midwife would give such crappy advice. You could risk messing up your supply and I can't even fathom letting a tiny baby CIO like that.

napua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:07 AM   #12
Registered Users
I'm a schedule momma (with 3 under 4 it helps me keep my sanity) and think I your midwife is nuts! Baby should nurse usually every 1.5 to 3 hours. Sounds like your LO is doing great. If you stretch out feeding to 4 hours at that age you will surely have supply issues. Even the babywise book says wait till around 6 months to stretch to 4 hours between feedings.
Babies don't have the ability to self soothe at that age, so no way no how to CIO!!! I've always followed the eat, play, sleep routine and then put my babies in their bed at the the first sleepy sign. For me having a routine helped them fall into their own schedule when they were older.
DS3 is 5 months and he is just now getting himself on a predictable schedule. Putting them in bed BEFORE they are over tired helps them learn to self soothe. But, there are plenty of times I rock them to sleep or lay with them till they are asleep.

It will come in time. I agree with PP that if you worry about it now it will stress both of you out and possibly cause issues. Enjoy your beginnings of motherhood! Follow your babies cues and nurse as often as they want and snuggle them to sleep.
JennyAnneC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #13
Registered Users
Re: scheduling?

Thank you everyone for the replies. I really need the affirmation that I was doing the right thing by ignoring the midwife's advice. New mama hormones and lack of experience had me questioning my judgement and had me very upset. I'm glad I'm doing the right thing and will stick by my intuition!
lotstolearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #14
el's mama
Registered Users
Re: scheduling?

Trust your heart mama, you're doing it right! Babies get hungry every 2 hrs because they have teeny tiny tummies that empty very quickly. has fantastic info and he has great tips for pumping mamas. Even when your baby is bottle fed, there isn't a need to schedule. She can have a bottle when she's hungry. The best way to keep your milk supply up is to feed on demand (or cue feeding as I like to call it). It's can be very confusing when someone you trust gives you information like that...but mama knows best! I think your Midwife is the one who could learn a thing or two!
In with my DH, crunchy, attached Mama to 4. Homeschooling, long term breastfeeding, CD'ing, babywearing, homebirthing. Could I BE anymore addicted to cloth?!
el's mama is offline   Reply With Quote