Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Help me get this stuff out of here!

I had to come to a place where people would understand...
I have all this stuff 'to sell' sitting around... not selling. Because I don't have it listed. Because II"m too stressed out/busy to list them... rgh.

Anyway, I keep going back and forth. I need advice.

1. Tulle - tons... no really TONS. I was making tutus to sell on etsy and at craft fairs and while they were selling just fine I decided the time it took to make and sell them wasn't worth it (too much time away from kids/telling DD1 I couldn't play). I need it to go, but I keep thinking 'well I could make DIY tutu kits to sell' or 'I could list the tulle on etsy' blah blah blah. I'm thinking of trying to sell it as a lot on craigslist but I keep chickening out.

2. Wings. From same business. Like 90 pairs. I listed them on a local shop n swap but no one's biting. I should just list these on craigslist too...

3. Wood blanks... another thing I thought I was going to do... finish wood pieces (stars eggs, etc) for montessori/waldorf type activities and sell them. I keep thinking I could sell the blanks on etsy but I don't know...

4. Scarves - two apple boxes full. One box is NWT the other is second hand (silk, vintage, etc). I was selling them on ebay but I haven't listed anything in ages... My mom bought them for me to help me make money so I can't really just donate them...

I think part of the problem with the tutu stuff is that I'm having a hard time letting go of that business emotionally... but I need to. The scarves, like I said, is more because my mom bought them. We could really use the money. We can pay our bills but have debt to get rid of... So it keeps sitting there, but the guilt of it sitting there is so heavy on my shoulders and it stresses out DH so bad that some days I just want to toss it in my truck...

WWYD?

Advertisement

ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

I'd take one afternoon and list it all. That way when things sell it'll only take like two minutes to pack it up and ship it out.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
MattiMaman
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help me get this stuff out of here!

I just had a big garage sale and was so pleased with what I made. I listed the garage sale on CL and listed specific items at the sale under the correct categories on CL, too. That brought in several extra shoppers and emails. It was SO much easier than I anticipated.

I would say try everything on CL, first, if you live in a large-ish area. It literally took me 15 minutes to post all of my ads (like 10 of them). Give yourself a deadline for selling or listing through another site. Best of luck!
MattiMaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:32 AM   #4
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would list it all on CL like a crafting garage sale, so everyone that goes to your "sale" will get first crack at what you have. This will limit the emailing and no-shows. Then after your "sale", you can individually meet some people that couldn't make the sale. Then when that dries up, I would consider donating the tulle, wings, and blanks to a school theater/art department or any sort of boys/girls club that puts on plays or has dance classes.

The scarves you can list on ebay/etsy again closer to Mother's day and market them as Mother's day gifts. Then if they don't sell, consider donating to a women's shelter or nonprofit that gives women career clothes to get jobs.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:38 AM   #5
SenoraE
Registered Users
seller

Or you can list the wings in groups of 10 (or a minimum of 10 at a time) in the baby & kids section on CL for b-day parties? Or as photo props?
Old 04-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenoraE View Post
Or you can list the wings in groups of 10 (or a minimum of 10 at a time) in the baby & kids section on CL for b-day parties? Or as photo props?
Ooh, that's a good idea for any of the items, do them in lots. The thing that bogs me down with CL is the tons of photos and answering all the emails of people who never buy or show up. Doing them in lots reduces that a bit.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:47 AM   #7
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylchoo View Post
I would list it all on CL like a crafting garage sale, so everyone that goes to your "sale" will get first crack at what you have. This will limit the emailing and no-shows. Then after your "sale", you can individually meet some people that couldn't make the sale. Then when that dries up, I would consider donating the tulle, wings, and blanks to a school theater/art department or any sort of boys/girls club that puts on plays or has dance classes.

The scarves you can list on ebay/etsy again closer to Mother's day and market them as Mother's day gifts. Then if they don't sell, consider donating to a women's shelter or nonprofit that gives women career clothes to get jobs.
I like these ideas... I keep thinking a garage sale type thing would be so much easier, but getting the right audience might be tough... If I advertised it as a craft sale and posted it on CL & FB that might work... of course then I might be tempted to sell other things too, lol.

Donating to a theatre group or something is also a great idea, I don't know why I didn't think of it but I bet the group I used to help direct would love some of that stuff!
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #8
JMFutures
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i'd love to see pics and prices of the scarves...pm me if that interests you.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:38 AM   #9
sasra_nu
Registered Users
seller

I'd honestly list the tulle on ebay, either as 1 BIN auction w/ single rolls of what you have so people can buy however many rolls of whatever colors they want, or maybe in lots of 10 rolls. I make tutus too, and I never really worry about buying too much tulle, because if I needed to sell, I know I could make most if not all of my $ back on ebay. You could even do etsy instead, although I think you'd get rid of it faster on ebay.
sasra_nu is offline   Reply With Quote