Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
TripleMbride
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
new truck car seat install help

we just bought a 2011 toyota tundra crew max (plenty of room for 3 across) now i just need help with placement we have 3 kids and 3 seats

5 years old 39lbs graco nautilus (harnessed)
2 years old 26lbs graco nautilus (harnessed)
7.5 months old 20lbs RF Britax Decathlon

their current install order is 5 year old behind passenger, rf britax 7.5 month old in the middle and almost 3 year old behind driver

the anchors are only on the outboard seat and the middle seatbelt is what is being used for the install of the britax (i also have it tethered in the rf position to the base of the drivers seat)

i'm open to new seats but what can i do to get the best install for safety i'm completely open to suggestions on fixing what i have as well

TIA!

Advertisement

Old 04-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
What exactly is wrong with what you currently have? Does it not fit? And are you talking about LATCH only outboard? If the seats you have don't fit have you tried installed the Nauti's with the seat belt? That usually gives more room than a LATCH install since you can kinda position the seats out more if needed.

Eta: do you have a 2 year old or 3 year old? You state both ages in your op.

Last edited by TalkinBoutMyGirl; 04-18-2012 at 11:01 AM.
TalkinBoutMyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
ksingh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: new truck car seat install help

Go to your local fire station. This is what they are trained for and it is free.
ksingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
TripleMbride
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkinBoutMyGirl View Post
What exactly is wrong with what you currently have? Does it not fit? And are you talking about LATCH only outboard? If the seats you have don't fit have you tried installed the Nauti's with the seat belt? That usually gives more room than a LATCH install since you can kinda position the seats out more if needed.

Eta: do you have a 2 year old or 3 year old? You state both ages in your op.
the nautilus are installed fine but the rf britax the female part gets caught up in the lock off things on the seat (Can't remember exactly what theyre called) so i'm not 100% sure its in there right :/
i have a 2 year old but she will be 3 next month guess it doesnt really matter how old she is but that she is 26lbs sorry for the confusion
Old 04-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #5
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksingh
Go to your local fire station. This is what they are trained for and it is free.
If they aren't true CPST's then they haven't been properly trained. And even then a lot of the time they are very misinformed or simply don't care.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMbride

the nautilus are installed fine but the rf britax the female part gets caught up in the lock off things on the seat (Can't remember exactly what theyre called) so i'm not 100% sure its in there right :/
i have a 2 year old but she will be 3 next month guess it doesnt really matter how old she is but that she is 26lbs sorry for the confusion
So the buckle is going up in the belt path? You can turn the female end up to 3 times (360* turns) to try to change the position. This will shorten the stalk and hopefully pull the buckle down out of the way. Also make sure each seat is independently installed. In other words install one seat then another then take out the first seat. If it is still a solid install (moving less than one inch at the belt path) then your fine. Do this with all the seats because of they are dependent upon one another for a proper install then they are installed improperly.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
TripleMbride
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
So the buckle is going up in the belt path? You can turn the female end up to 3 times (360* turns) to try to change the position. This will shorten the stalk and hopefully pull the buckle down out of the way. Also make sure each seat is independently installed. In other words install one seat then another then take out the first seat. If it is still a solid install (moving less than one inch at the belt path) then your fine. Do this with all the seats because of they are dependent upon one another for a proper install then they are installed improperly.
yes thank you! and when i've gone before to get them checked i get looked at like a loon....they could care less :/ i've yet to find a truly dedicated car seat advocate where i live that i trust.. thank you for the 360 tip i'm definitely going to try that!
Old 04-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #8
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:

yes thank you! and when i've gone before to get them checked i get looked at like a loon....they could care less :/ i've yet to find a truly dedicated car seat advocate where i live that i trust.. thank you for the 360 tip i'm definitely going to try that!
Let us know if it works! Take a pic and post it if your unsure.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #9
TripleMbride
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Let us know if it works! Take a pic and post it if your unsure.
it worked PERFECT! thank you again!
Old 04-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #10
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:

it worked PERFECT! thank you again!
glad I could help!