Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #11
TigersBabygirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Expat mamas how do you make friends?

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's job loss! It's great that he found something new but it sucks that you guys had to move so far away for that.
Yeah, I know the different dialects in Germany are hard to understand sometimes. I had a friend in college who was from up north (where they speak proper German - Hochdeutsch) and she could hardly understand the older locals in Bavaria.
So are you planing on moving to the US some day or are you going to stay in Germany? Are you raising your son bilingual? If so, how is that working out so far?

I am from a small village about an hour away from Nuernberg, Bavaria.
Before my husband and I moved to the States almost one and a half years ago we went to the Schwarzwald on vacation. It's a beautiful area and it reminds me a little of Bavaria.

Advertisement

TigersBabygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:59 AM   #12
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

For now we are here for the long haul. I would like to be in the US but it would be very hard to do.

Now he has a job in offenlicherdienst for the state of Baden Wurrtemburg so we are better of here.

To move to the US he would need work lined up in advance and an employer willing to cover the move. Otherwise we would be coming with no income, no health insurance, and just hope with no resources to fall back on.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:52 AM   #13
Marbie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Sorry to hear it's been so tough to make friends! I agree, making friends when you move is tough enough in the same country, let alone a different country!

I was wondering if there is a sports club you could join. It seems like every German town has some tennis, volleyball, etc. clubs. Or what about a Wandern group? I joined a step aerobics class and a community language class and got some good social interaction that way. Are you religious at all? Churches are also a good way to meet people and they often have activities. Viel Glueck!

Last edited by Marbie; 04-11-2012 at 01:55 AM.
Marbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:32 AM   #14
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I found in Emmendingen they offer migrationsberatung, which is basically emigration counseling for free since I am a resident. They say they offer counseling services and cover topics such as integration problems. So i plan to call them once I get my car. i am sure I am not the first immigrant who had trouble intergating into my community an din turn isolating themselves.

I am also looking at vereins our area has over 40 of them. The catholic church has a huge womens group, I really was tempted to call and ask if they would allow me to join if I am protestant but i am not sure if they will since we are registered and pay tax to our affiliated religion which entitles us to benefits there, but we are in a catholic area so the protestants are itsy bitsy.

i was going to look for a bilinguial church in a bigger city. I like the ones that do social events, sunday school ect, but the small village ones just dont seem to do any of that.

So I am looking around.

I am waiting for them to finish my car and then I will have much more options. I have extreme anxiety traveling on public transport, so I am hoping with a car I get out more.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:21 AM   #15
waitingforbaby
Registered Users

I'm in Korea. I also wanted from the beginning to get more integrated and make Korean friends. I've been here three years and don't have any expat friends. Nothing against other expats, but I think in the long run it helps me adjust, although the first year was quite lonely for me.

I've made friends from mostly two places... church--our church has only 40 people, and actually no one my age, but they are so welcoming they have really made Korea home for me. Also, I don't understand the sermon perfectly, but my language skills are always improving.

The other way I've made friends, which I don't think anyone has mentioned, is through my husband's coworkers. He invites other young couples/young families over for dinner quite often, which I really enjoy. Before I became pregnant and got hit with morning sickness, we also invited groups of coworkers over for "English cafe." Koreans love practicing English, so it was quite popular, and we would just serve coffee and cookies and think of a few icebreakers and conversation topics for each night. It was just casual fellowship together~ something I really needed.
waitingforbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:18 AM   #16
gringuitica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Are there any online communities/forums that might have membership in your area? I got active on Couchsurfing, even though I didn't actually couch surf; my area group was very social, and that's how I met a lot of my current friends. I also reached out on Facebook, believe it or not, and one of my best friends here is someone I "met" via FB.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #17
andyoly82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenajean1
I am not affiliated with the military. We moved away from DH's home town. IN our last city I made a few friends when I did the german integration course and one friend in my birthing course.

But we moved again and I have no clue where to start trying to network.

I was curious how you as an expat got involved in the community and made friends.

There is supposed to be a play group starting in our village next month and I am on the call list for that. But aside from that, I am at a loss.
J
Old 04-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #18
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

J?
Old 04-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #19
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

J?
Old 04-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #20
SunshineMami
Registered Users

I know what that is like, I had a really hard time making friends when we lived overseas. I found most of my friends through a military wifes group. Itīs not easy in a small German village Iīm very sure. Groups would probably be your best bet to get the ball rolling, anything of your interest, other mommies so play groups or knitting or cooking or sport.

Itīs not so easy as an adult, you cant exactly walk up to someone and say "would you be my friend?" like one did as a child in the sandpit...Though, after quite some time, I pushed myself to do something close to that. When I had a quick chat with someone I thought was nice, a shop assistant or so , I asked "This may sound odd, but Iīm new in town with my husband and I donīt know anyone yet. Would you maybe like to catch up for a cup of coffee or so sometime?" Cost me a lot of courage but I actually made a couple of friends like that Germans arenīt really great with smalltalk but if you engage them many are quite friendly. What a shame you donīt live in a bigger city everyone woul be excited to test their English on you
SunshineMami is offline   Reply With Quote