Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #171
boobmommi
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Does anyone actually LIKE being a WOHM?

I love being a WOHM My son is 4 and is here with me throughout the day so in the beginning it was a bit of a balancing act to get everything in sync through out the day. Now I've even mixed in a homeschool curriculum to spice things up and I have to say that I feel like it's help the day flow even better. When I was away from him all day it was very hard and every day that we have our hiccups I remind myself of the moments that I was tucked away in a stuffy office missing him dearly. I pray everyday that I can continue to be blessed with the opportunity to do this

Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 07:51 AM   #172
GodLover
Registered Users
seller

I wish it wasnt full time but I love it, its a good balance I get adult conversation and socialization plus some sanity but still get the mommy time as well. Would change it for the world!!
GodLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #173
spacetygrss
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I absolutely love being a WOHM. It's just as gratifying to me to help my patients every day as it is to help my children grow into healthy, ethically and morally sound people.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:29 PM   #174
jalbrecht89
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDahlia View Post
I personally think working makes me a better mom. I need to be doing something that makes me feel productive. Working also helps me appreciate and manage my time with her. I love looking forward to coming home to her everyday and our time on weekends. I also believe that she enjoys interacting with other people. But I think everyone is different and makes the best of their situation.
Completely agree with you mama! After I had my first baby, DD, I went back to work full time for 2 weeks and couldn't handle NEVER getting to see her. I would come home, fix dinner, bathe me and her, do housework and it was bedtime. It was absolutely killing me never getting to see her. So, I became a SAHM at that time (2007). Loved it, but finally went back to work as a part timer in nursing and it was perfect. Only work 1-2 days a week. Just enough to have some "time away" from kids, DD and DS, and yet still have plenty of time to do things with them.

I think that either being a strictly SAHM or strictly a work full time mom can drive you crazy and be highly stressful. Working 1-2 days a week is so perfect to recharge your adult time at work and kid time at home.
jalbrecht89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:42 PM   #175
MuffinMania
Banned

LOVE it. I love being self-sufficient, not having to 'mooch' off of others, and it helps me organize my time much more efficiently when I am home. I have earned everything I have, and it's a great feeling.
MuffinMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #176
AW-R
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, you can tell from my siggy what I think, but I like being a WOHM, never wanted to be a SAHM (I had a SAHM and I didn't think I was advantaged by her staying at home with me, but we have a working-on-no-longer-being-strained relationship), and am passionate about my career. I have a relatively flexible job, so I do sometimes just take time off to do special things with my kids, and sure, I wish storytime at the library wasn't only at 10am on Tuesdays when I can't take my kids, but we make up for those experiences in other ways.
Allyssa--mom to Bennett (09/2007) and Lachlan (11/2010), 2 dogs & 2 cats, wife to Arty (14 yrs)--a done-with-diapers , searching for zen, trying to be more green, loves trades, happy-having-a-career mom who tries to do it all!
AW-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #177
jessicalev8
Registered Users
seller

I love working. After I had DD1 I couldn't imagine going back to work, so I stayed home. I got a job when DS was almost a year old and now I have no desire to be a SAHM (which makes me sound horrible!)

I have REALLY bad social anxiety - have had it my whole life and working at a job that forces me to interact with strangers has really helped. Being a SAHM only made things worse. BTW, I work in a hospital admitting patients into the ER. But I'm hoping to get a job at the doctors office in town!

I started work again today, actually
Old 05-09-2012, 07:06 AM   #178
mom2corag
Registered Users
seller
seller

I like working. I think that I'd love to WOHM, but less (part-time?). However, I have a great career/ job I love that wouldn't allow me to go part time, and I wouldn't enjoy anything part time anywhere nearly as much as my job now. I don't know if it's self-justification, but I also think that getting the time away from the kids during the day makes me a better, more energetic mom when I do see them. I find that on the days that I am home all day with them (weekends, or days when daycare can't watch them) we do less educationally-valuable play than we do for the hour before I leave for work in the morning and the hour between dinner and bedtime.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:34 AM   #179
rohirette
Registered Users
seller

My answer to this has changed!

I used to want to be a SAHM. I disliked my job... cried like a baby the first day I went back to work after DD1 was born. Basically, the entire year + between the birth of DD1 and my pregnancy with DD2, I was scheming and plotting to be able to quit.

Once I did quit- worked very part time from home- it wasn't as super awesome as I thought. I mean, it was great while DD2 was a newborn and I could nurse her. But money issues and being with two little kids almost all of the time was not enjoyable.

So now I'm back at work. I actually make a little more money than DH... for unknown reasons, they love me at work and I make $10k more annually than when I left. It was the right decision, and no one person is the only barrier between my babies and hunger.

The job itself? It is fine. I actually got moved over into the department that I want, and I'm supervising people doing my old job.

And I did feel uncomfortable back when DH paid 95% of the bills. It did feel unfair to heap all of the stress of providing on one person. And everything my kids would not have been able to do throughout their childhoods due to lack of money... my short temper after about 3 days alone with them... an inability to move out of a bad neighborhood, again due to $...

For me, working is best.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:23 AM   #180
Riverleaf1772
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDahlia View Post
I personally think working makes me a better mom. I need to be doing something that makes me feel productive. Working also helps me appreciate and manage my time with her. I love looking forward to coming home to her everyday and our time on weekends. I also believe that she enjoys interacting with other people. But I think everyone is different and makes the best of their situation.
I agree with the above exactly.

I did take about 7 months off to be with my baby, then I eased back into work part time and then went back full time at 20 months. I find I'm a better mom when I'm working. We all enjoy socializing with others and have more energy for each other when we come home. It helps that I love my job.