Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
Besser81
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
He's pulling and pushing

Ds is 9 months and for some time has been pushing against me trying to get as little of the nipple in his mouth. He'll even pull his head back to try to get less in. He is a quick nurser and about 6-7 xs a day (2xs at night). Is he trying to get more milk flow? What's going on? I'm not enjoying nursing as much as I could be and I really want this to last until at least two.

Advertisement

Besser81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Danielle04
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: He's pulling and pushing

I didn't want to read and not reply. I don't have answer for you but wanted you to know that my DD (9 months, yesterday, actually) does this as well. I'm not exactly sure why she does it but if I were to guess it would be that she is trying to trigger another let down. Other times I think she's just messing around.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by linneabw
Ds is 9 months and for some time has been pushing against me trying to get as little of the nipple in his mouth. He'll even pull his head back to try to get less in. He is a quick nurser and about 6-7 xs a day (2xs at night). Is he trying to get more milk flow? What's going on? I'm not enjoying nursing as much as I could be and I really want this to last until at least two.
My DS did the exact same thing, around the same age. I had actually forgotten about it until reading your post

I would get him to latch on big and wide and he would push and pull back. I basically got him latched on really well and put my arm behind hin with pressure against it. It he tried to pull back I applied more pressure so he couldn't go anywhere. It only took a week or two of doing that.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
badhayrday
Life is Good
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: He's pulling and pushing

I am going through the same thing with my 7mo old now and have been for about a month. It's making me very frustrated because it hurts. I've tried what the pp said but it makes her mad and that adds to it. Maybe I should I try again and be more consistent for longer and see if it helps. It's really taken a lot of the joy out of our nursing sessions. This is #4 and I've nursed all of them so you'd think I'd have the hang of it by now but she is throwing me for a loop.

Sorry I don't have any good advice. I hope you figure out how to get your LO to stop and relax soon
Old 04-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #5
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhayrday
I am going through the same thing with my 7mo old now and have been for about a month. It's making me very frustrated because it hurts. I've tried what the pp said but it makes her mad and that adds to it. Maybe I should I try again and be more consistent for longer and see if it helps. It's really taken a lot of the joy out of our nursing sessions. This is #4 and I've nursed all of them so you'd think I'd have the hang of it by now but she is throwing me for a loop.

Sorry I don't have any good advice. I hope you figure out how to get your LO to stop and relax soon
Just be consistent. If she continues end the nursing session.