Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #11
BirthdayMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I think "toxic" might be a little overstated, but you're right. PUL and synthetics aren't as healthy for skin as natural, minimally processed fibers. Basically, just like food. The less processing it gets, the better for you. Wearing sposies all the time is like eating at McDonald's every day. Not so great for you, but we all do it once in a while for convenience. Prefolds and wool are like eating 100% home cooked, organic foods. Definitely the healthiest choice, but lacking some of the convenience factors that really help out once in a while. And then PUL and synthetic pockets are like eating home cooked food that's not organic. You could do better, but you could do a lot worse. You have to decide for yourself and your family where on the spectrum you're most comfortable. PUL isn't going to kill your baby, but maybe you feel like it's really important to keep all natural fibers next to the skin. Totally up to you.

Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #12
mamaspice
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthdayMama
I think "toxic" might be a little overstated, but you're right. PUL and synthetics aren't as healthy for skin as natural, minimally processed fibers. Basically, just like food. The less processing it gets, the better for you. Wearing sposies all the time is like eating at McDonald's every day. Not so great for you, but we all do it once in a while for convenience. Prefolds and wool are like eating 100% home cooked, organic foods. Definitely the healthiest choice, but lacking some of the convenience factors that really help out once in a while. And then PUL and synthetic pockets are like eating home cooked food that's not organic. You could do better, but you could do a lot worse. You have to decide for yourself and your family where on the spectrum you're most comfortable. PUL isn't going to kill your baby, but maybe you feel like it's really important to keep all natural fibers next to the skin. Totally up to you.
This is very well put! Way to snap me out of perfectionist mode and bring some balance to the conversation.

This thread HAS fueled my wool-buying itch though.... Need more wool....lol
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #13
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Polyester/ PUL toxic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaspice View Post
This is very well put! Way to snap me out of perfectionist mode and bring some balance to the conversation.

This thread HAS fueled my wool-buying itch though.... Need more wool....lol
Agreed on all counts!
Old 04-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #14
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthdayMama View Post

I prefer pockets, but my son's skin does not. He does much better with cotton, even overnight when the diaper gets soaked. Some of our fitteds have up to 10% polyester in them, though. those don't do as well as 100% cotton, but they aren't that bad to his skin, either. We use PUL covers, though. I have some wool, but I need to wash them up. Even when they are ready to use, they won't be used very often. If it was up to me, he'd only be in AIOs with the suedecloth or fleece inner, but that would be terrible on his skin. My middle son used pocked 90% of the time. it didn't irritate his skin. either way, I think all cloth is still better than sposies
My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #15
cdwelton
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Very well put, thank you!
Old 04-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #16
ServingHim
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Very well said! I think as moms we have to do everything we can to keep our families healthy. But in this day there is just no way to completely rid ourselves of synthetics or chemicals. It's everywere, your furniture, your car, your food, hygine products (brush/tooth brush) and on and on even down to our water.
Unless you manufature everything you family uses you really have no way of really knowing the manufacturing process.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #17
mkojis2
Registered Users
seller

That's freaks me out..I cloth diaper to stay away from chemicals...totally going with natural fibers now...
mkojis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #18
shen7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
This is a pet peeve of mine. It is so easy to scare moms and the internet is full of faulty information trying to scare you. It is mostly nonsense and pseudoscience and so is this. Just because a fabric is "synthetic" or petroleum derived does not make it toxic. Just because a fabric is "natural" does not make it safe or better for babies. Disposable diapers are not exactly killing babies either. It is just about doing what you can to reduce your environmental impact, and what works for your family.

I am sorry if this comes off rude but it is a pet peeve of mine to see these "oooo evil chemicals!!!" type things, I used to work in environmental risk assessment and it just blows my mind what people worry about versus what the real problems are. Polyester fabric in cloth diapers is about the 1,000th most toxic thing in your baby's life, I promise, I don't care how "pure" you try to be. Sorry, it just makes me mad.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #19
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shen7
This is a pet peeve of mine. It is so easy to scare moms and the internet is full of faulty information trying to scare you. It is mostly nonsense and pseudoscience and so is this. Just because a fabric is "synthetic" or petroleum derived does not make it toxic. Just because a fabric is "natural" does not make it safe or better for babies. Disposable diapers are not exactly killing babies either. It is just about doing what you can to reduce your environmental impact, and what works for your family.

I am sorry if this comes off rude but it is a pet peeve of mine to see these "oooo evil chemicals!!!" type things, I used to work in environmental risk assessment and it just blows my mind what people worry about versus what the real problems are. Polyester fabric in cloth diapers is about the 1,000th most toxic thing in your baby's life, I promise, I don't care how "pure" you try to be. Sorry, it just makes me mad.
Yes, and plenty of natural things are toxic (radon, arsenic, anthrax, mold, etc). I'm not worried about it but to each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #20
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn97 View Post
Yes, and plenty of natural things are toxic (radon, arsenic, anthrax, mold, etc). I'm not worried about it but to each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Exactly. I think you just have to pick and choose what's best for your family and then live with that decision.