Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #21
Queen_Celeste
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What's the current recs for the umbilical stump?

Our pedi said the alcohol actually keeps it wet longer. I know around 2 weeks my second's cord fell off and what was still there was oozing, then we got the nitrate treatment. But other than that we don't really do anything. And our hospital never painted cords so we always have icky brown worms come off at some point when I pull a shirt up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liadan23 View Post
ok, random question, i didn't see it mentioned here, although i opened the thread hoping someone would mention something like this. but i was hoping maybe someone knows? after ds was born the midwife gave me some herbal capsules and said to just keep the stump clean, and open a capsule and dump it on the cord a couple times a day. ds's literally dried up and fell off in like 3 days. we never used alcohol or anything, and there was never any oozing, smelling, or really wetness. after the first time we put the herbs on, it really dried up fast, and after it fell off his little belly button was all clean and healed, no open wound at all. for the life of me, i cannot remember WHAT she gave me! and i'm with a different midwife now in another part of the country, so i can't just ask her. but i really really want some of that stuff again! i feel like, after some preliminary googling, it's goldenseal? maybe? anyone know? i'm still going to ask my current midwife, but it'd be nice to have some idea before i look like a complete idiot.
Maybe this stuff? I jsut found it with a google search. http://www.yourwaterbirth.com/cord-c...der-p-302.html

Advertisement

Queen_Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #22
jenncatsmeow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 247mom View Post
I have found (comparing care of 3 children's umbilical stumps) that alcohol actually kept it wet and it took a lot longer to fall off (plus there is a chance the alcohol can be absorbed into baby's system), and the fastest cord to fall off was the one I just kept dry (wiping around the stump with a dry cotton swab several times a day). That cord stump was also not painted with anything at birth either and fell off in just a few days. The alcohol wiped stump took a couple weeks to fall off and was very stinky and wet looking before finally falling off.
I found this with my 3 as well.
DD and DS1 I used alcohol....took awhile and was kinda' "icky"
DS2, I did nothing, just left if alone and it fell off in a week, clean and hard.
5% off at My HyenaCart with code: DS Momma
jenncatsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #23
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I picked up some alcohol and cotton pads today just incase we need them. I figure i'll use them if there is a particularly messy diaper or if it starts oozing.

Plus it never hurts to have a little rubbing alcohol around the house and we only had peroxide and witch hazel
Old 04-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #24
I Dream of Cloth
Registered Users
seller

Alcohol is usually not recommended anymore because it actually preserves the stump and causes it to take longer to fall off. I have used peroxide in the past if looked oozy to clean it which is what our midwife recommended. This time however I plan on using goldenseal powder to help speed up the healing.I heard it stains badly, but I got some really dark colored wool covers that hopefully will hide that! From what all I've read, it's fine to get it wet from a bath, but just gently pat it dry after or let it air dry before covering it back up with a diaper and clothes. I love tees rather than onesies for the early days waiting for the stump to fall off because it is easier for the air to get to the stump.

Mother to 4 girls : R (6yrs), H (4yrs), P (2yrs), V (born 3/29), and 2 little ones departed from this world.
I Dream of Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #25
I Dream of Cloth
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liadan23
ok, random question, i didn't see it mentioned here, although i opened the thread hoping someone would mention something like this. but i was hoping maybe someone knows? after ds was born the midwife gave me some herbal capsules and said to just keep the stump clean, and open a capsule and dump it on the cord a couple times a day. ds's literally dried up and fell off in like 3 days. we never used alcohol or anything, and there was never any oozing, smelling, or really wetness. after the first time we put the herbs on, it really dried up fast, and after it fell off his little belly button was all clean and healed, no open wound at all. for the life of me, i cannot remember WHAT she gave me! and i'm with a different midwife now in another part of the country, so i can't just ask her. but i really really want some of that stuff again! i feel like, after some preliminary googling, it's goldenseal? maybe? anyone know? i'm still going to ask my current midwife, but it'd be nice to have some idea before i look like a complete idiot.
Yep it was goldenseal root powder. Goldenseal has amazing herbal antibiotic properties! Glad it worked well for you. We are going to use that this time too.

Mother to 4 girls : R (6yrs), H (4yrs), P (2yrs), V (born 3/29), and 2 little ones departed from this world.
I Dream of Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #26
JulileE
Registered Users
seller

I agree with the alcohol keeping things wet. I've used goldenseal with very good success. Open the capsule, sprinkle some around the cord stump. It dries up the area.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #27
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Dream of Cloth View Post
Yep it was goldenseal root powder. Goldenseal has amazing herbal antibiotic properties! Glad it worked well for you. We are going to use that this time too.
thanks! i talked to my current midwife about it at my appt on friday and she said it was most likely goldenseal too. i will definitely be getting some
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote