Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #201
RoccerMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Boo'sMama
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: For the momas with buildup/stink/ammonia/new 2 CD momas/or washing trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
I bet you are right about the minerals. Those can't be removed as far as my research has shown. I know calgon is #1 for preventing calcium. It can't remove it though. The dawn can't hurt. I'd say you are going to lave less of a calcium issue with the softner now. It's really hard switching from hard to soft water. ALL of our stash was 100% repelling from detergent buildup after 6 yrs experience. I had no clue the water was that soft here. I'd say perhaps start with line one and see how many suds are in the main wash. You don't want too many, but sure not too few. It's a a real pain finding that happy medium with detergent and a new water type or even a new machine. I had a heck of a time. Like being new all over again. Be sure to check each rinse for excess suds as well.

GL!!!
That's crappy about the calcium....I'll give it a shot and see what happens. If the BG's don't make it I won't be heart broken as I got them used and we've gotten a ton of use out of them....I'll let you know what happens with the strip! Thanks again!

Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #202
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's conflicting info from what I was told by P&G. I was told liquids were formulated to rinse cleaner. They were quite surprised to hear that many momas use powder and believed it to be cleaner rinsing. I persionally don't care as long as I get great results without issues. I have tried powder numerious times. It always has gunked up in my dispenser of on the cloths. I also have trouble with it rinsing. I get a strong fragerance after the load is done. Doesn't matter the brand either. Although I prefur tide. I have tried in hot, cold, hard and sof water. All with poor results. It just refuses to work for me. I strongly believe that every moma should use the detergent that works best for her and her family. I also strongly believe in facts and experience. Facts don't change, but experiences do. All of our water is diff, as well as machine, fabrics, wash routine, days till wash, ventilation, additaves, # of diapers per load, and kind of diapers.

I only mention liquid as an good alternative for momas that need to switch up their routine due to their detergent not working for them because of the info from P&G, the rumors of use XYZ only on your diapers or they will self distruct, and experience, as well as facts that can be found through various detergent research, ect.

I hope this doesn't come off as definsive. I just wanted momas to know there were other options. That they should each find what works for them. This includes natural detrgents. Do what's best for you kinda thing.

Thank you.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #203
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoccerMom View Post
That's crappy about the calcium....I'll give it a shot and see what happens. If the BG's don't make it I won't be heart broken as I got them used and we've gotten a ton of use out of them....I'll let you know what happens with the strip! Thanks again!
For the synthetic fibers, if the dawn doesn't do the job, sport wash is a great idea. It's designed to remove any foreign material from the fibers, including scent.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 04-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #204
farminmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

This is my first time posting on here, so I hope I am doing it right! I just wanted to thank you SO MUCH for this thread! I have struggled with washing my cloth diapers since March '09 when we started to cd my then 3 month old son. It seemed like from very early on we would have the barnyard smell after he would pee in them. Then, we had the nose burning ammonia smell after opening his night time diaper. Then during other diaper changes. Then the horrible RED bottom. So we took a break and then I found out we were expecting #2, so out came the cd! I stripped the ones we had, put #1 back in them and switched detergents (this was our third one!) and thought we were good. Used them on #2 for a while and our problems were back. So we took another break! Ughhh...Find out #3 is on the way, so #2 goes back into cd. We lasted a day! Stinky out of the drier, stinky when he peed in them and grabbing himself and trying to pull the diapers off! I am determined to figure out WHAT is going on!

Should I do the bath tub stomp + bleach washes and try Tide? In the past I have used Planet liquid (really did not like this detergent!), Charlie's Soap (which I thought was causing the horrible red burns), and lastly RnG. We have really soft well water and also FL Bosch. I do have a TL I can use if my husband will clean it (it was used for his diesel and oil soaked work clothes). Sorry this is a lot, but no one else has been able to help me!
farminmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #205
NessieO
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by farminmama View Post
This is my first time posting on here, so I hope I am doing it right! I just wanted to thank you SO MUCH for this thread! I have struggled with washing my cloth diapers since March '09 when we started to cd my then 3 month old son. It seemed like from very early on we would have the barnyard smell after he would pee in them. Then, we had the nose burning ammonia smell after opening his night time diaper. Then during other diaper changes. Then the horrible RED bottom. So we took a break and then I found out we were expecting #2, so out came the cd! I stripped the ones we had, put #1 back in them and switched detergents (this was our third one!) and thought we were good. Used them on #2 for a while and our problems were back. So we took another break! Ughhh...Find out #3 is on the way, so #2 goes back into cd. We lasted a day! Stinky out of the drier, stinky when he peed in them and grabbing himself and trying to pull the diapers off! I am determined to figure out WHAT is going on!

Should I do the bath tub stomp + bleach washes and try Tide? In the past I have used Planet liquid (really did not like this detergent!), Charlie's Soap (which I thought was causing the horrible red burns), and lastly RnG. We have really soft well water and also FL Bosch. I do have a TL I can use if my husband will clean it (it was used for his diesel and oil soaked work clothes). Sorry this is a lot, but no one else has been able to help me!
I would get the husband to clean the TL It seems that most of the people who don't have issues are those who have a TL.

Here's another detergent thread that I found useful: http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1040786

There's a lot of good info in the first post.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #206
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would try the strip and bleach, then make the detergent switch. The TL'er could be a good idea as it has more water. It sounds like natural detergents just don't work well for you and a main-stream one could really help keep the ickies away. If the odor starts to come back, you may want to consider more detergent and working bleach into the routine. Once a week/month, whatever you are comfy with. Also HOT helps, so does a good prewash so they arn't washing in icky water. Keep an eye on the main wash and rinses to make sure it's not too much detergent. I now have soft water and it's nice, but can be a pain when it comes to washing. gor putting up with haveing this much trouble for so long. Barn yard smell is usually not enough detergent/not getting clean diapers. Fishey and odd odors is normally bacteria. And you can tell amonia a mile away and none of these are normal or something you have to put up with.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #207
farminmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thank you so much ladies! I typically run a quick wash no detergent, then a hot wash with detergent, and also finally another quick was no detergent. I started the tub stomp and, oh my goodness, the smell coming from these dipes is awful! DH was laughing at me as I stomped around trying to tell him about the stink...he told me my feet were going to smell like poop! lol! I also got an exasperated look when I told him no one was bathing or showering tonight! I am going to give it a try with my FL'er first bc I remember now that we purchased it in the middle of this long journey, so I am pretty sure I was having the problems while using the TL'er too.

Also, did you mention in a previous post Gain is ok to use also? That is what I was using for our clothes before I dug the cd out again, so I have some left. I just wasn't sure since it has the strong fragrance. It is just original Gain HE
farminmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:38 AM   #208
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Gain is a great detergent. It's an awsome smell and have some great strength too it. It will still have the strong fragerance, but should mellow out some in the dryer. Also make sure the diapers are really dry before putting away. How much detergent are you useing? You have a prefect wash routine? It really smelled while stripping? That's just wild! Deff soak those suckers. When you bleach today, use the max amnt you are comfy with and be sure it's the original with the 6% for disinfection. I would really recomend doing that twice. it should give you a clean slate. I'm glad you soaked them, that's key. You really only wanna bother with it once! I believe it easier and more effective to do the tub method compared to the washer, not to mention safer for the machine. You can also add more dawn! And controll the washing too.
Now to figure out how much detergent is perfect for you. It seriously sounds like it wasn't enough or just not a good detergent for you. I hope it's as easy as a switch. Remember to check the main wash and rinses for a while. Find the happy medium of suds.

GL!
Keep us updated!
Old 04-25-2012, 11:44 PM   #209
luvmyswissy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Any idea on how to know how much detergent is too much or not enough? I have an old top loader and I think my water is normal. We are fairly new to the state so I need to go pick up some strip tests.

Never had any problems with cd's with my oldest. Now with my new littles I am having issues with ammonia. I'm hoping I got it this time, but I am so afraid to get build up from too much detergent. I def. don't need 3 babies in repelling cd's that are having ammonia issues...that quite frankly would do me in. lol

Thanks,
Dawn
luvmyswissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #210
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I may not be on much to help trouble-shoot as we're in the hospital. Cayden just had his surgery and we will be here for a while. He's resting well atm though.

Look in the main wash cycle when it has been aggitating for a good bit. There should be a descent amnt of suds, but not too many now. Then watch the diff rinse cycles. Some suds are ok. The final rinse should have very little to none. Depending on the water type and detergent, Normally 1.5-2 line is a good place to start with normal water. You can check the water by looking in the dishwasher for buildup, around the fawsets for it, wash your hands with bar soap and see how easily it washes off. Things like that. If you have ammonia, are you going to strip and disinfect?or try to adjust the detergent levels first?
I'm sorry you are going through this with 3 in cd's!!!!!!
Bless your hear sweetie! That would be one huge bath-tub stomp wash!