Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #11
averysmom
Registered Users

Re: stressful ob appointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by erlyjo View Post
I cannot tell you how many moms I know that have had this happen and the baby is fine, me included. With my ODS, they told me the risk of Down's was 1 in 10! (I was 23 at the time) Turns out they drew blood too early so the test results were wrong. After that, I vowed I would never do that test again, because I would love the baby either way, and they do not do anything different if the baby does have Down's, so for me it is a waste of money for needless worry. I'll keep you in my prayers for sure, but chances are good everything is fine. And know you are not alone!
This exact same thing happened to me. My ds is now 9yrs old and perfect. I have never done the testing again.

Advertisement

Avery Grace 8-17-05 Autumn Rose my HBAC baby 2-9-10 EXPECTING #4 sometime in Sept. 2012 Planning my second homebirth!!
averysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #12
TigersBabygirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think it's great that you have a positive attitude and you're SO right: a 71 in 72 chance of having a perfectly healthy baby is still pretty good It sucks to have to wait around to find out more, though. Trust me, I know (I posted about this way back when we had our first OB appointment/ultrasound). I guess that's one of the reasons why I refused any kind of screening: it does nothing for you but makes you worry. Hopefully stories like Delana's will help you keep up your positive attitude! Best of luck and keep us posted!
TigersBabygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #13
oldandnew
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

no advice... and prayers that all is ok!
Old 04-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #14
austinandashlynsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had my genetic counselor appointment and ultrasound today and everything went great. All of baby girl's measurements were perfect and on target, no markers for downs. I refused the amnio, but they did do a new experimental blood test that is for trisomy 13, 18, and downs, and rather than just a 'risk factor', it actually comes back as positive or negative. I guess it's $2000 for the test, but I got lucky and my insurance is paying for it, so I did it, lol. I'll get the results in 2 weeks, but I'm really not at all concerned. Thank you for your prayers and thoughts.
austinandashlynsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #15
QHoneyB
Registered Users
seller

Yay, glad to know all looks well!
Old 04-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #16
TigersBabygirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm so glad to hear that your appointment went well and they didn't find anything that gives cause for concern! I'm also super glad to hear that you refused the amino, invasive testing is just not worth the risk in my opinion. Yay for that new (super expensive) test! So in 2 weeks you'll know for sure You must have awesome insurance, by the way..
TigersBabygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:43 AM   #17
erlyjo
User requested temporary ban
seller
seller

My Mood:
Yay! I knew everything would be fine. I think the failure rate of that quad test must be way higher than they say based on how many stories I've heard like this.