Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-21-2012, 02:07 PM   #11
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Want to homeschool so bad!!!

I second the 'weird' comment. The weirdest people I ever met were in public school. At the time I thought the HS kids were weird, but they were just uber polite and acted more like adults LOL

Advertisement

Old 04-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #12
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawnlovesjasper
Her education is your and her father's choice, not yours or his family's. At such a young age, I don't feel she has a say in her education either, but others think differently on that point.

If you really want to homeschool her, you need to make it clear to your families that disrespecting that is not going to be tolerated. If it means that your kids can no longer spend time alone with them, then you may have to make that happen.

I never let anyone have any say, I simply said this is what we are doing. You have to gain some confidence about the whole homeschooling experience. It will come across when you talk about it. You can let everyone who has major concerns that you understand their concerns and that you have concerns too and that is what is leading you to homeschool at this point. If in the future things are different, then you will be open to another schooling option.
Yes exactly! Mom and dad are the only ones who matter. If family continue to disrespect you then no more alone time with dd. At 4/5/6 children can not comprehend everything that should be taken into consideration about their schooling choices. I seriously doubt it goes further then ps-kids to play with and hs-get to be with mom....My mil is a retired teacher so she really didnt like the idea of hsing even though her nieces were hs....Over these 2yrs she has seen just how well the girls are learning, growing, maturing, ect without the aid of ps @@ It was an insult really...guess she thought I was to stupid to do it. Anyhow, I told her in the begining they wouldnt attend ps for x and y reasons point blank. I was going to teach them and that was that. It was hard b/c I didnt have much confidence in myself really. I have much more now so when ppl question my desision I tell them its whats best for us and change the subject eta-and if 'weird' is not demeaning others, laughing about how you pushed someone down that was half your size-witnessed this yesterday, not spending 2hrs of everyday on a hot loud! bus,being able to interact with all! age groups then I would love for my children to be 'weird'

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).

Last edited by my2sweets; 04-21-2012 at 02:31 PM.
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
JellEBeanDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

mama click on the link in my siggy and read the post about parenting regrets- it lays out my view on this exact situation in my life
JellEBeanDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #14
SillyEllie
Registered Users
Formerly: ardygurly
seller

My Mood:

I always find it so weird that people always point out the socialization aspect when it comes to homeschooling. You do NOT send your child to public school to socialize. You aren't allowed to talk in class and the last I heard someone was telling me they watch how much they talk at lunch too and recess is almost unheard of anymore and the little socialization that is going on in public school is extremely unhealthy. Your family needs to respect your choice. It's YOUR decision and if they can't accept that don't be afraid to tell them to back off. Whenever my family used to say anything I would just nod my head and say "ok". They don't bother me about it anymore. And all kids want to go to school and ride the bus because they feel like when you grow up that's what you do. Find yourself a good group of homeschool friends either from a co-op or a homeschool group that offers park days and show your child that other kids homeschool too. My kids have more socialization then any kid in public school and it's in a healthy envirnoment
Old 04-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #15
ERISAmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We were at MIL&FIL's house a few months ago and I mentioned our plans to HS DD. SIL and BIL are ps teachers and - though they constantly complain about how horrible their schools are - the family remains very negative about anything other than ps or catholic school. No Montessori, no lab school, and definitely no HS. At one point, FIL says "we aren't fans of homeschooling," in a very judgmental tone, like "if you like HS you're not really part of the family." I replied, "good thing it's not your decision.". That was that.

It's your and DH's decision. No one else's. You can have a civil discussion among adults, but trying to sabotage your decision by talking up ps to your kid? That's so disrespectful it's, it's, ... Something that you'd learn in ps. :-p
crunchy-urban-homesteading lifestyle!
ERISAmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #16
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberP View Post
I second the 'weird' comment. The weirdest people I ever met were in public school. At the time I thought the HS kids were weird, but they were just uber polite and acted more like adults LOL
Seriously. How old is your daughter? Entering K next year? I would talk to her about what the kids DO at school all day. My son is in prek now and while he likes getting to play with the other kids there, it's such a small portion of the day that they are actually allowed to play...

I also agree you need to tell your parents (inlaws?) to leave the HS/PS issue alone. It's your decision and you don't need them trying to interfere with your parenting in this way.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #17
R055ANA
Registered Users

Hi there!

I love the responses that you have gotten so far.
If you would have told me 10 yrs ago that I would be HS I would have said you are very mistaken. Before deciding to HS my girls I was one of those silly people who thought why do that to your child. I also thought what fun it is to ride the school bus and get to go to gym. We went to visit the local PS before my ODD was supposed to enroll. The kids didn't have gym class, they did gym in the classroom??!! There aren't school buses for them to take either because they are close enough to walk.

I sort of understand your extended family wanting you to send DD to school because it is SO against the grain to HS. I would continue to explain to family that this is what you are going to do. Answer the questions that show they are expressing genuine concern and just grin at the others and move away.

Many children will say that they want to go to school instead of being HS. My girls did it as well. I kept reminding them that the things we were doing they wouldn't be able to do if they were in PS. Today if I mention the idea of going to school my 10 yr old DD gets angry and concerned. She totally DOES NOT want to be in school.

Just keep gently reminding DD that this is what you are going to do or maybe don't mention it and just do as you planned. Children who have no context of school are really just interested in the idea that they have been told about school. How can they really know so well that they will love going to school if they have never been there?

Best wishes and feel free to ask more questions.
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:03 AM   #18
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I could have almost written this original post myself . Only my oldest in in K at the PS this year. We started off HS'ing and I was due in Sept. with our 4th so I just got super overwhelmed and couldn't find a good curriculum that worked for him so we ended up enrolling him in PS about a month after school began. He has loved school and has learned a lot, but it's a big regret of mine. DH doesn't want to entertain the idea again since it didn't work the first time and it was hard on my DS to go to school a month after everyone else. I don't know what we will do next year, but my mom is a PS teacher and she was a big negative talker about HS'ing and that combined with expecting a newborn via C/S at the beginning of the school year was just too much ...wish I could've/would've/should've done it differently.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #19
NorahsMom
Registered Users
seller

My MIL is forever expressing her concerns as well. I think it's acceptable for grandparents to voice concerns...to YOU. They love the child and are interested in her well-being, but it is completely inappropriate to put your daughter in the middle of a disagreement they have with YOU. I would honestly tell them that if they have concerns or questions, you are more than willing to address them (and then do that--I don't think it's fair to tell a child's grandparents that you have made a decision and that is that. They obviously don't understand homeschooling. It may be helpful to answer their sincere questions. If they are unrelenting, THEN you can play the the "I'm the parent" card.) Beyond that, you absolutely need to tell these people that it's not fair to your dd for them to confuse her and use her to manipulate you (which is exactly what they're doing). It's pathetic, really.

As for her making her own decisions, I will never believe that a 5-year-old has the knowledge, wisdom, or foresight to make her own decisions regarding her education. I'm all about my 5-year-old making many of her own decisions, but those are more along the lines of what outfit to wear, what sport to play, what color to color her pictures.

ETA: As others have pointed out, there are plenty of weird, socially awkward kids at ps, too. The best indicator, I think, of social "weirdness" is how weird a kid's parents are. If you and your dh are socially awkward, your dd will be socially awkward no matter where she goes to school. If you aren't weird, she probably won't be either, no matter where she goes to school.

Last edited by NorahsMom; 04-26-2012 at 12:18 PM.
NorahsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #20
FormallyMichele
Registered Users
Formerly c****f
seller

My Mood:
ETA: As others have pointed out, there are plenty of weird, socially awkward kids at ps, too. The best indicator, I think, of social "weirdness" is how weird a kid's parents are. If you and your dh are socially awkward, your dd will be socially awkward no matter where she goes to school. If you aren't weird, she probably won't be either, no matter where she goes to school.[/QUOTE]

This!

We live in a small, small town and most (certainly not all) of those that homeschool that my family know are people who don't want their children exposed to any ideas/ people EVER that are different than their own. They want their children sheltered from everything and are really socially awkward themselves. Not to be mean, but I doubt public school would make them less "weird.".

Plus, I'm a tv free vegetarian who cloth diapers and breastfeeds in a town where 97% of the population has never seen an avocado so my kids are doomed to be weird anyway.
FormallyMichele is offline   Reply With Quote