Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
Hopefulily
Registered Users

My Mood:
Pumping at work

I am going to be pumping three times a day at work. Can I keep adding to the same storage container or will I need separate storage for each of my sessions?

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum

Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
Miss Bliss
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pumping at work

I pump three times a day also but I'd be curious to see the responses. I pump into the same two containers through out the day and don't have any issues.
Miss Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
Lilwndr
Registered Users
seller

As long as you don't refrigerate between sessions (fresh breastmilk can be kept at room temp for several hours) you can just pump into or add to same container. However, if you put it in fridge after pump you need separate container for next pump. Once that one is chilled you can combine.

Rule is, only add cold milk to cold milk, and milk pumped within same 24 hours can be combined.

Generally what I do is pump mid morn. Put bottles in my desk drawer or leave on desk. Pump mid afternoon (usually nurse babe at lunch) into same bottles. Then put in fridge until I'm ready to head out. I use a freezer pack to keep cool during transport. A lot of times I will just leave them at daycare fridge when I pick up. I use playtex drop ins and usually just pump directly not those (they make a converter for Medea pumps) so no extra steps. Then I just have to take lean nipples for the next day because the milk is already there in my nursers.

Last edited by Lilwndr; 04-23-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Lilwndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
lilmomma83
Registered Users

I pump into the same bottles...I have an insulated bag that I keep them in with no ice pack...they have been in there up to 16 hours and been fine...
lilmomma83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
cutebluebaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I pump into the same bottles (rinse them out afterwards), but store the milk in a separate bottle. I then pour the milk from pump session 2 and 3 into the same container as session 1. I've read that as long as the milk was pumped within 24 hours of the first session, it's okay to store the freshly pumped milk in the already refrigerated milk.

Fabrics : Fitteds : Inserts : Boy Clothes : Girl Clothes
cutebluebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
Manderzthegr8
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilwndr View Post
As long as you don't refrigerate between sessions (fresh breastmilk can be kept at room temp for several hours) you can just pump into or add to same container. However, if you put it in fridge after pump you need separate container for next pump. Once that one is chilled you can combine.

Rule is, only add cold milk to cold milk, and milk pumped within same 24 hours can be combined.

I've been told the main rule is 'Do NOT add warm milk to cold milk' it can introduce bacteria.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

i always pumped into the same container. i didn't know about the "don't add warm milk to cold milk" rule, so i did it, and it was fine. i suppose it makes sense though, so it might be best to just leave it out instead of chilling it as recommended by a pp since i know that bm can be left out at room temp for awhile.
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
megs715
Registered Users
seller
seller

I pump and store all of mine seperately. I generally pump enough from one session for a bottle, and I freeze that day's milk for later use (have a freezer stash that needs to be used up first). So I pump, store into a freezer bag and put it in the freezer at work. On the way home it stays mostly frozen.
megs715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:11 PM   #9
leila03ash
Registered Users

I was told don't mix cold and warm milk also but my lactation consultant told me I could combine milk with 48 hours.
leila03ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:15 AM   #10
earthchickie
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've read now several places that you can pump into cooled milk:

http://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/a...ing-breastmilk
"You can pump directly into refrigerated milk as long as you add the milk within 24 hours of when the original milk was expressed."

The info says there are enough antibodies in milk to kill off bacteria.
earthchickie is offline   Reply With Quote