Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #21
MommyKeller0107
Registered Users
seller

Re: Birth Hopes/Plans

Dawn, you need to come be my nurse! I think we'd get along well

Advertisement

L0Ri K

MAMA T0 KADE (1/07)
LEVi (09/10)!

:: & RUBY ♥ ::
MommyKeller0107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:47 PM   #22
eguisgirl
Registered Users
Formerly: en**doza
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyKeller0107 View Post
Dawn, you need to come be my nurse! I think we'd get along well
I wish!
Old 04-25-2012, 06:16 AM   #23
aphlbrck
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eguisgirl View Post
You can absolutely decline anything but educate yourself about the signs and symptoms of hypoglycemia in infants. If your baby is eating well and you don't see any s/s of hypoglycemia then decline away! I always let my patients know that they can decline anything they want. (Of course, if they have risk factors than I don't say that because ultimately health of mother and baby is most important).

Do you have a trusted source you'd recommend regarding signs of infant hypoglycemia? I grow them large too (last was 11lbs 15oz) and two out of my three were stuck so many times it made me sick. It never occurred to me that I could safely refuse the test.

Also, I noticed that lots of you are planning to decline vitamin k shot and eye stuff. Are these basically unnecessary also? The only thing we've declined in the past was the hepatitis shot they try to give the baby right away as well as paci's and bottles.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:44 AM   #24
LittleTadpoleDesigns
Registered Users
Formerly: littlest_one
seller

My Mood:

We're planning our second homebirth. Our first ended up at hospital because of being 18+hrs with broken water and being GBS+ (plus he was face presentation and labor kept stalling). Our second was born at home after about an hour of active labor before our midwives even got there. Both were pain-med free but I had Pitocin with ds because of the stalling. This time I'm hoping for a happy medium with our midwife present and a reasonably fast and smooth labor... I'd love to have time to labor in the tub for a bit!

I'm also hoping there will be no need for antibiotics and for another RH- baby. I have been GBS positive for both so far and we only treated on risk factors. There was no time for antis with dd so that was nice. Had to with ds because of the 18+ hour thing. Both kiddos so far have been RH- (as am I) so no Rhogam afterwards either which would also be nice once again!

My Etsy Shop ~ Get 5% off with "DSFIVE"
Snap Belts for Preschoolers ~ Crocheted Toys ~ Custom Soother & Mitten Clips ~ Nursing Necklaces Facebook
LittleTadpoleDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:11 AM   #25
marthathecakelady
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am now planning on refusing the vitamin K shots.... after reading about it .... I don't actually remember my kids getting it but assume they did. I do see that we meet one of the risk factors for HDN (fast delivery) and possibly another if I end up being GBS + and need antibiotics. But I am thinking about supplementing vitamin k for myself to increase the vit k in my breastmilk..... dont know much about it but going to look into it.... and possibly allowing the use of the oral vit k..... this is the first article I read....

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...you-about.aspx

I plan on reading more on the subject but so far (in the 45 minutes since I have been out of bed.... lol.... that is what I have read! ) it is very interesting and worth rejecting (the shot, not the article.... :P )

My facebook "fan" page
marthathecakelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #26
aphlbrck
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the link Martha!

Looks like since we're in NY State it looks like it's going to be a big legal issue to avoid any of "standard" practices
Old 04-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #27
1healthylady
Registered Users

We're planning a home birth for our first baby. I'm hoping for a water birth, but as long as I get to labor in the water I'll be happy. Haven't made any decisions yet about Vit K because we haven't done any research on it yet. If it's a boy we'll probably do the circumcision at a week old, but haven't looked too much into that yet either. But DH said without a question he wants it done. We aren't finding out the gender, so I just haven't pressed the issue.
Ina May' Guide was fabulous. I had read Peggy Vincent's Baby Catcher before we were TTC and that introduced me to the world of natural childbirth, and then Ina May told me how it's done. We'll be doing childbirth classes with our midwives. I can't wait for the experience I've been envisioning! I just pray all goes well and we all stay healthy to get the births we want.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #28
Ciarrawuvscd
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I am really hoping to have a med-free birth at the hospital. I was induced with my first for pre-e and made it halfway drug free. Then my water broke and I just couldn't bear... It was rough, but I got an epidural. I am hoping this time to go into it naturally, and hopefully my body will be more forgiving! I am very excited.
Ciarrawuvscd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #29
BLargy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am wishing for med free ,short, and non induced.What I would be happy with is low med, non induced , without prolonged time of pushing. I am not worried about breastfeeding right away cause they are very boob friendly at my hospital.If you say your doing it they are there right away to assist you and try to make sure your a success case.I don't want baby taken from the room but if she is she will be going with my dh or I. I don't want any procedures done not okay with my ped so I will have a list of can dos .If it ain't on there it ain't happening.Hopefully I won't be as exhausted this time or have as much afterpain.I was unable to sleep until the evening after i gave birth to ds.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #30
mama2seth&trey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marthathecakelady View Post
But I am thinking about supplementing vitamin k for myself to increase the vit k in my breastmilk..... dont know much about it but going to look into it.... and possibly allowing the use of the oral vit k..... this is the first article I read....

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...you-about.aspx

I plan on reading more on the subject but so far (in the 45 minutes since I have been out of bed.... lol.... that is what I have read! ) it is very interesting and worth rejecting (the shot, not the article.... :P )
Vit K is very easy to get in your diet. Any of your dark leafy greens, green tea, brocolli, cabbage, asparagus, alfalfa, most herbs and much more have it in there. If you can see what is in your prenatal you may already be getting this, it is in most multivitamins and even slim fast.
mama2seth&trey is offline   Reply With Quote