Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-25-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
altuttle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Live Below The Line - $1.50 per person per day for 5 days

I am not sure how many of you are BzzAgents and have been invited to this but we are going to attempt this in our house. You do not have to be a BzzAgent to participate. It is to help bring awareness to poverty and hunger. Basically you have to eat at $1.50 (US) 1 Pound (UK) per day per person for 5 days in May.
https://www.livebelowtheline.com/us is the US website but you can get to the other countries from that one.

I thought it might be fun to open this thread to help others with super cheap meal/snack ideas. We can also use this to share our struggles with eating such little food.

Advertisement

Last edited by altuttle; 04-26-2012 at 01:20 PM.
altuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:14 AM   #2
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Live Below The Line

I have looked at this before, unfortunately there is no way my family would eat the foods required to do this. It would be $6 a day for us. No beans and rice in this house. We also can't do peanut butter because of allergies. I might try and work up a meal plan though just for the fun of it. I have never figured out the per cup/tbsp cost of pantry items like flour and sugar though. Flour is kind of hard because it depends on how you measure it out as to how much your cost is. Seems like I did count cups on my flour at one time, but I'll have to find it.

I love this challenge. I think its something that everyone should try, but I am a big fan of walking in other peoples shoes.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:28 AM   #3
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you seen this http://results.org.uk/sites/default/...0COMPLETE!.pdf
Old 04-25-2012, 07:31 AM   #4
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I have a problem with this. The way that someone in the US could live for $1.50 per person per day is SO different than the way someone in extreme poverty in India, on the African continent, etc, would do so. For me, with access to coupons, deep freezers, dollar stores and so on, getting enough foods to average out $1.50 a day, per person, would be easy. For someone in a remote part of Africa or Asia, they have no access to any of that. It's still not really representative of that sort of struggle.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
altuttle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
I have a problem with this. The way that someone in the US could live for $1.50 per person per day is SO different than the way someone in extreme poverty in India, on the African continent, etc, would do so. For me, with access to coupons, deep freezers, dollar stores and so on, getting enough foods to average out $1.50 a day, per person, would be easy. For someone in a remote part of Africa or Asia, they have no access to any of that. It's still not really representative of that sort of struggle.
This is just to bing awareness to the poverty situations not to make us completely in poverty. There are also ways to sign up to have donations for different charities around the world which while it isnt perfect might inspire some people to donate to help others. I understand there is nothing that can completely make me feel that way without living it completely but this is a challenge for us anyway. Not everyone has the means or options to make things free or close to it with coupons. Most of us eat way above the 1.50/1 line and to try to feed our whole families for the week on those amounts would be a huge struggle. I know for our family we are going to buy everything for the 5 days new including things like spices and stuff that I would normally buy in bulk or keep in the house. Those kinds of things reduce the amounts of other foods that we can buy as well. We also will not be able to buy the meats that we normally would eat because they would be too much. Not everybody has to participate or like the challenge but I was hoping to find people who were doing it so that we can share recipes that would stretch the money just a wee bit further.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:36 AM   #6
altuttle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
Some of those look interesting and yummy
Old 04-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
mjg2043
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Dd has food allergies. I wouldn't even try it.