Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-23-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Anyone with high cholesterol? What do you do about it/take during pregnancy?

Just wondering if anyone has high cholesterol and what you do (what are you allowed to do?) to regulate it while being pregnant.

Advertisement

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone with high cholesterol? What do you do about it/take during pregnancy?

Women really do not have to worry about high cholesterol. Cholesterol is protective against inflammation, and no woman should be on cholesterol lowering medication. I would cut out all vegetable oils and replace with coconut oil, butter, etc. vegetable oils cause inflammation which causes high cholesterol; natural fats are protective and good for the babys brain.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone with high cholesterol? What do you do about it/take during pregnancy?

My dr told me that I should not worry about it during pregnancy. She said the test numbers would not be accurate anyway.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:19 AM   #4
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
Women really do not have to worry about high cholesterol. Cholesterol is protective against inflammation, and no woman should be on cholesterol lowering medication. I would cut out all vegetable oils and replace with coconut oil, butter, etc. vegetable oils cause inflammation which causes high cholesterol; natural fats are protective and good for the babys brain.
Do you mean this in reference to women in general? Or pregnant women?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyl08 View Post
My dr told me that I should not worry about it during pregnancy. She said the test numbers would not be accurate anyway.
Yeah, that's what my doctor told me back before I had my first daughter. At that time, it was nearly 300. ...all genetics. My concern is that now it's 5 years later - I've not had it checked since then... and we're debating a third, but not sure. ... I'm not comfortable just hanging out waiting without being proactive. It's on my mind now because I had my level checked last week, but haven't heard back from the doctor about results yet.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:31 AM   #5
bcb1961
Registered Users
seller
seller

Fish oil is good for cholesterol, and good for pregnancy as well.
bcb1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah I meant all women. Will type out a longer comment when I get on my computer
Old 04-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #7
pharmmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

High cholesterol carries an increased risk of heart attack and stroke for men AND women. That being said, cholesterol tests during pregnancy won't really tell you anything, and you can't take most of the medications anyway. You could take fish oil, BUT fish oil really only affects triglycerides, not LDL. And LDL is the one that you really need to treat. If you wanted to take it, fine, but make sire to get one that states on the bottle that it has been tested to be free of heavy metal contamination. Otherwise you could be getting a daily dose of mercury too. And you need about 4 grams (4000 mg) daily to make a real impact.
Pharmacist, wife to a nerdy chemist, and proud mama to Leta (12/2006), Derek (4/2009) and Viola (7/2012). Now if only I could figure out a way to quit my job and still pay my student loans all would be well with the world.
pharmmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmmama View Post
High cholesterol carries an increased risk of heart attack and stroke for men AND women. That being said, cholesterol tests during pregnancy won't really tell you anything, and you can't take most of the medications anyway. You could take fish oil, BUT fish oil really only affects triglycerides, not LDL. And LDL is the one that you really need to treat. If you wanted to take it, fine, but make sire to get one that states on the bottle that it has been tested to be free of heavy metal contamination. Otherwise you could be getting a daily dose of mercury too. And you need about 4 grams (4000 mg) daily to make a real impact.
Thank you, that is helpful. I should know tomorrow what my levels are... the doctor put a letter in the mail to me yesterday after I called requesting my results.