Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
If you co-sleep

We co-sleep/bed share with our 2.5 year old, he sleeps inbetween us in a king size bed. Not that it matters because he squishes up against me so we have like a foot of space for the two of us but anyway! lol.

The past couple of weeks I've been getting what feel like bruises, usuallyon the top of my stomach. There's nothing to be seen, it just feels like a bruise feels. Hurts to touch and if I bend on that area it gets sore. Not crampy, just sore. I'm pretty sure its from my son being too rough with me. When he gets super mad he does attempt to hit me in the stomach (not purposely and we're working on it) or just jumps around to play alot andusually lands on or near my stomach. The biggest issue is while we're sleeping though. I think he's kicking me in our sleep.

I just spoke with one of the midwives and she didn't seem too concerned. She said she seriously doubted a 2year old could harm the baby and it ismost likely just a bruise. She did say I could be seen if I wanted but she wasn't concerned as long as I wasn't bleeding or leaking fluid, which I'm not. I'm also feeling baby move a bit (wish it was more! but its early and I'm fluffy). I'm opting not to go in just yet, and to try to fix the situation first. I do have a doppler and baby seems fine.

So, if you co-sleep have you dealt with anything like this? Aside from using my pregnancy pillow to put a barrier between DS and me is there anything else I should be doing? Would you be concerned if you were me? Thanks mamas!

Advertisement

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
mgmsrk
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you co-sleep

I'm an unwilling coleeper, it's not the plan but since we are in transition with a move and her bed is currently packed up 1000 miles away it is the easiest thing if I want any sleep for now.

At 20 weeks the uterus would be just about at the level of your belly button so it sounds like so far he is kicking above that but you are going to keep getting bigger. Apart from using something like the pillow as a shield I can't think of anything you could really do, it sounds like he is just active in his sleep and you can't train him out of that.

Do you plan on co sleeping with both? When were you going to transition them to their own beds? I'm worried about the baby, I think he likely will not be able to damage the baby in your belly but if he is a kicker at night that would worry me once the little bean is out.
mgmsrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
dogmom327
Registered Users
seller

At about that stage we pushed a twin bed up against our king bed and had DS sleep on the twin. It was basically one giant bed so he didn't seem to mind. I also had DH sleep next to him. I slept better and it was a good transition. When babe arrived I had her sleep between me and a safe bed rail so basically it was baby, mommy, daddy, big brother across our gigantic bed.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
kangasox
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327
At about that stage we pushed a twin bed up against our king bed and had DS sleep on the twin. It was basically one giant bed so he didn't seem to mind. I also had DH sleep next to him. I slept better and it was a good transition. When babe arrived I had her sleep between me and a safe bed rail so basically it was baby, mommy, daddy, big brother across our gigantic bed.
We did that too, but had a cosleeper on the opposite side of the king bed, though the baby often ended up in the bed. It looked ridiculous but everyone had their own space but was still close.
kangasox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
MacMama
Registered Users
Formerly: PaisleyandLaylasmommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post
This is us too, and we're in your exact position-- a 2.5yo DS cosleeping and 20 weeks pregnant. I put a toddler mattress at the end of our bed (which is on the floor, so we're all right next to each other), and he does great in it most nights. On the nights he ends up in bed with us, I put him between me and the wall, and turn my back to him after I get him settled.
Heather; wife to my love Jacob, lucky mama of Layla (9), Paisley (7), Thatcher (almost 5) and my nursling, Koa (9/4/12). Creator of Hand-stamped jewelry, custom teething necklaces and accessories by Avery Rayne Designs
MacMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We won't be co-sleeping with the newbie, at least for several months if we choose to at all this time. He'll be in a cradle next to my side of the bed. I doubt we'll end up with both kids in bed (plus we have our 75lb pit in bed too lol) but if we do we'll be doing some major rearranging.

I wish we had room to side car a bed next to ours but our room has a little inset that fits our bed perfectly, and there's only about 1.5-2' of space left between the bed and the wall if one side is against the wall.

We did move his toddler bed (his crib without one side) into our room and we tried moving him into it after he fell asleep but it didn't do so well. Maybe we'll have to try that again.

Until then, the pillow it is! Or we'll have to find a way to get DS to sleep on DF's side of the bed instead of the middle.

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I put a twin against our king recently too (I am 35 wks pregnant) bc we will be co-sleeping with the new baby as well and DH takes up a ton of space. the 23 mo old still sleeps right next to me and if he is squirmy, I just turn away from him. Rather be kicked in the kidneys than the stomach
Old 04-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #8
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

we don't routinely co-sleep, although ds does end up in our bed quite often. but, just to put your mind at ease in terms of the baby, probably the baby is just fine. i feel like he would have to kick you REALLY hard, harder than a child that small might be capable of, in order to seriously harm the baby, and you would certainly wake up. they're very safe and well-cushioned in there. my 2.5 yr old is very rough. he doesn't mean to be, but he's just overexhuberant and tend to not only kick in his sleep (i've been sleeping with my arms wrapped around my stomach for months now) but also just playing around, he has many times jumped on my stomach, kicked it, head butted it, you name it. again, he's not doing these things to be purposely aggressive, he just gets carried away while playing around mommy. and, i'm already 35 weeks, so YES he does sometimes land where the baby is. it hurts me for sure. and he earns himself a timeout. but the baby is just fine. that doesn't mean he should be allowed to do it over and over, but just that, if it happens, i wouldn't worry about it too much.

Last edited by Liadan23; 04-27-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote