Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #71
LaniMami
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does this forum include disaster preparedness?

I have issues somewhat like yours, my hubby is active duty Navy, and if anything went down I'm pretty sure he'd have to go in to work (if he wasnt already there). When I packed my bug out bag, I put everything in my bag, and by that I mean if I only bought one (ie stove, water filter, shovel etc) I intentionally packed it in my backpack. I hate to even think it, but if he has to go to work and we have to bug out, I am not sure I would stay here and risk something happening to me & my kiddos while daddy is hopefully safe at work. And he wouldnt be able to bring us with him, unless he left us at the TVQ (kinda like a hotel on base), and I'm not sure how safe that would be for us. On the flip side, I dont want to go anywhere without him (not to mention I wouldnt know where to go ), we would be worrying about eachother constantly...guess it depends on the circumstances.

I am not working on a 1 month food stash for home, and am going to be buying freeze dried meals for our bug out bags. Easier to deal with and less weight to carry. Hubby is buying a gauge shotgun & 9mm handgun this month for our home defense, and we found a gun range about 30 minutes from our house that I can go practice at. Eventually I'll get my own handgun and we would like a good hunting rifle.

Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #72
LaniMami
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

updating our prep status

We got our 12 gauge and 9mm a couple of weeks ago, hubby has been having me practice safety & loading at home. We found an outdoor gun range in town so dont have to drive very far at all. I packed my bug out backpack, our food & medical totes are ready, kids have their own little backpacks, I just have to do hubbys. I also need to get some freeze-dried meals for backpacks.

Issues I'm having are food storage. I'm trying to get a one month supply going so we can eat from/rotate but it seems grocery prices are so high, kids are growing and their appetites show it I cant seem to get ahead on the stockpiling. Will have to figure something out, really want to achieve that goal by August at latest. Any tips? Thinking I need to check out dollar store for some food stuff, never know what they have.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:13 PM   #73
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It might be too late for this now, but we used a portion of our taxes to get on top of our food storage. We were having the same issue about not getting much stored as quickly as we wanted.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #74
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I used a portion of my tax refund for my food storage. I also got a severance paycheck from my old job and have been working OT at my new job and that money will be going towards it as well. Plus COUPONS! =)
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #75
Sonoran Bloom
Registered Users

LaniMani, I think consistency is key. Setting a budget to spend for each month has really helped us stay on track. Perhaps take the estimated total cost for one month's worth of food and divide it into chunks that you can handle. If that can be done by August, great. If not, just keep going.

When I was stockpiling store bought canned goods and putting up fresh produce, I really tracked my area's sales via pinchingyourpennies.com. Go to your state's forums and find your grocery store. It gives star ratings on how good of a sale price it is for that item based on how that item's price varies throughout the year. You'll learn there is a 'season' per say for each item to be cheap. For example, we are coming up on the huge meat sales, so stock up on that as much as you can (around Memorial Day). However, January is the WORST time to buy meats as the prices are at their highest. The site also matches up the sales with coupons so it is not uncommon for things to turn out to be FREE!!! My regular grocery budget also went down when our menus were based on what was on sale that week...that will free up money for stockpiling, too.

Also, make sure you are very familiar with grocery prices before heading to the dollar store. The dollar store is not always cheapest especially since some of their cans/boxes, etc. are smaller than normal. Also, I would really compare expiration dates since dollar store inventory may not rotate as quickly as grocery store.

Hope that helps. Remember to just keep working at it. It is a long journey and becomes a way of life. (Well, except for those that buy a whole year's worth of food for their whole family all at once. LOL but most people don't do it that way)
Sonoran Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #76
LaniMami
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have I mentioned I am horrible at budgeting I am about to start using cash only for groceries because my current method of writing a grocery list, then throwing in whatever I WANT thats not on the list just because I can is not working at all. I spend between $100-150 a week to feed 4, but the two kiddos (8 & almost 6 yo) eat like adults, and they as well as my husband have very fast metabolisms. We eat a majority of homemade food, the prepackages stuff is usually school lunch items. Its not just that, I need to reign in my impulsive shopping...its my stress outlet, but I really need to buckle down and cut the frivolous spending for next few months so I can get this pantry stocking done. Then maintaining wont cost as much, and I will have more money to spend again. And I understand what you mean about the dollar store, but I figure I would just check it out to see what they have first before actually buying much.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:41 PM   #77
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

does anyone know of a disaster preparedness Co Ops!? JUST PM me it since I know we cant talk about it openly...if not I may have to create one lmao
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
Old 05-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #78
ASchultheiss84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by igotmywings
does anyone know of a disaster preparedness Co Ops!? JUST PM me it since I know we cant talk about it openly...if not I may have to create one lmao
Please let me know, too!!! Unless its the Tomato one because we dry our own fruits/veggies for the most part.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #79
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'll let you know. Im actually looking for one that does Food, Nylar bags, 02 absorbers, and others....So far NADA
Old 05-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #80
ASchultheiss84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm stocked on Mylar bags and oxygen absorbers, but would be interested in water purification, first and foremost. Any kinds of alternative power sources, gas masks/radiation suits, and of course food would be good, too.

And if there is a way we could add ammo to that.....

I'm glad these kinds of posts don't make me look crazy!!