Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #21
Lousli
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Any ideas to make it to term?

I did p17 with my third. I also did the ultrasounds to check cervical length. The only things I did differently than what it sounds like you are doing is to take a magnesium supplement and to get a test for (and treatment for) bacterial vaginosis (some docs think there is a link between bv and preterm labor.) I'm not sure what worked, or maybe I was just lucky this time, but I had my first at 36 weeks, my second at 33, and my third was 37 weeks 2 days!

Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #22
BooneNicuMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousli View Post
I did p17 with my third. I also did the ultrasounds to check cervical length. The only things I did differently than what it sounds like you are doing is to take a magnesium supplement and to get a test for (and treatment for) bacterial vaginosis (some docs think there is a link between bv and preterm labor.) I'm not sure what worked, or maybe I was just lucky this time, but I had my first at 36 weeks, my second at 33, and my third was 37 weeks 2 days!
Congrats on your termie!! My doctor is doing all sorts of checks for me. She doesn't want me on mag right now because it makes me very sick and I am doing well to keep fluids down presently. She said we would revisit the issue once I can keep my cookies!

(( I just called her and asked about this magnesium business just now ))

Abby (11) Hailey (9) Katlyn (6) Savanna (2) Grace (1) Angel baby May 2011, and Angel Baby Dec 25th 2011. & ANNABELLE Oct. 17th 2012!!!
BooneNicuMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #23
sillyutalktome
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Lousli - How much magnesium did you take? I just started taking it (without asking) because of my daily migraines. It was something I was on before we did our embryo transfer to help with them and now that I've had them non-stop for two weeks I started it again. I take 250mg.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #24
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Good Luck Mama! I know where your coming from as I have 4 babies, all preemies. I was grateful that my first, a 35 weeker was able to room in with me and they kept us both inpatient 3 days after delivery.

However my 2nd was a 34 weeker and went to NICU, though only for 3 days..

So then I decided to have #3 and wound up in PTL at 24 weeks, on hospital bedrest and mag sulfate until delivery at 32 weeks.. He was in NICU 5 weeks.

#4 was a surprise and given my history I did 17p with him beginning at 16 weeks.. well, at 22 weeks PTL started and I was again admitted on hospital bedrest and mag sulfate.. I managed to make it to 31 weeks before I delivered due to a complete abruption. (3 of 4 were abruption babies.. no clue why). He spent 8 weeks in NICU.

I opted for a tubal during my c-section due to my difficult pregnancies/premature deliveries.. and I understand the pain of not bringing your newborn home, hoping and praying your baby will even survive, and dealing with the special needs.. but I always remind myself "At least my babies are here."

I just wanted to offer some and support and some well wishes for a long, healthy FT pregnancy!
Old 05-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #25
Lousli
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyutalktome View Post
Lousli - How much magnesium did you take? I just started taking it (without asking) because of my daily migraines. It was something I was on before we did our embryo transfer to help with them and now that I've had them non-stop for two weeks I started it again. I take 250mg.
I'm so sorry that I don't recall! I will have to go look it up and see if I wrote it down somewhere. My daughter is 14 months old now, but every once in a while I peek into the preemie forums to see what's going on.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #26
madebytrudi
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
After talking to other preemie moms later in life, I really think that the immune system is key in carrying a baby to term- notably, a healthy immune system. Being pregnant is very taxing on the body and immune system in general, and if it isn't strong, the body may not be able to handle it. I don't think you would find many doctors who would say that, but it makes sense to me based on people that I know and research that I've done. For instance, many older women I know that had babies born prematurely now have diagnosed immune issues, like Lupus, fibromyaligia, etc.
It might help to take whatever immune boosters that you can safely take during pregnancy. Probiotics and probiotic foods, no antibiotics or precription meds if possible, natural vitamin C (acerola cherries, red/yellow peppers, or a whole-food supplement), homemade bone broth..all of those are good dietary immune boosters. Your local health food store might have some other suggestions of supplements that can boost the immune system safely during pregancy. Lots of sunlight and Vitamin D3 is also great.
Keep in mind that antibiotics are in the food supply, especially in cafo meat and milk products, so it's best to choose local and organic meat and produce whenever possible. These foods are also more nutritous, so they're doubly helpful.
It's also important to avoid stress whenever possible. Bedrest can be have a very negative and stressful effect on the body, and is not really proven to be helpful in general, probably because prolonged inactivity is not good for the body, pregnant or not. It would probably be most helpful to avoid stressful activities, but keep up moderate activity as long as possible.
I AGREE.. I've recently read some articles about pregnant women needing a lot of vitamin C daily, to go full term and have quicker births. I have had all my babies btwn 32- 36 weeks and realized this time that I probably have an irritable uterus. I have noticed that the contractions started very early this time around (11 weeks or so) and was actually quite painful and scaring me many days. Then I read about Vit. C.... When I have a decent amt of vitamin C in my system, everything settles down. I would have never thought!
I also take B's & E's (my D levels are fine). They really help me cope with the stress of everything. Epsom salts (mag sulfate) is also used for helping stop contractions and I've taken small doses, esp when I have severe gut pain from eating. It seems to help ease the contractions for me too.

Hang in there mama!

Here's one of the sources with the Vit. C research: http://www.doctoryourself.com/miscarriage.html
homeschooling mum (d15, d13, d11, s8, s6) Surprise #6 due Aug 13!
Navy vet and wife to a ret. MARINE
Lend Me Your Pen: my kids's homeschooling Magazine project

Last edited by madebytrudi; 05-02-2012 at 07:46 PM.
madebytrudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #27
sillyutalktome
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Boonenicumama and madebytrudi - How are you ladies doing? Everything going ok? I've already started having some contractions and while they are irregular I am pretty freaked. I'm 22 weeks tomorrow. Way too early to have contractions. Everything is still really irregular so just rest and hydrate for treatment. Next cervical check in two weeks.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:26 AM   #28
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyutalktome
Boonenicumama and madebytrudi - How are you ladies doing? Everything going ok? I've already started having some contractions and while they are irregular I am pretty freaked. I'm 22 weeks tomorrow. Way too early to have contractions. Everything is still really irregular so just rest and hydrate for treatment. Next cervical check in two weeks.
Hypnobabies has an mp3 track that helped stop my preterm contractions my due date is Monday so it has helped keep baby in
Google hypnobabies baby stay in mp3
And good luck
Hugs
-Sarah B
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #29
BooneNicuMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyutalktome View Post
22 weeks Wednesday! That being said, I have been fighting contractions and light spotting since 16 weeks. Everything has checked out fine so far and we are checking the cervix every other week until we know something more. I have had to go in for major migraines twice and dehydration once. So far so good. Bean is trying to stay sticky and comfy it seems with how she is kicking and wiggling and throwing just a major fit with life ! However, I love the fact she's still IN there, and am totally okay with her staying PAST her due date if we could swing it! ..... Of course, since I am gonna be a section, that's not gonna happen :P

How are you doing mama? It can be a bit scary to have your body start to act without your consent, but I have two amazing angels that show that you can make it, even early with the odds against you. <3 We are gonna have healthy, amazing babies!!

Abby (11) Hailey (9) Katlyn (6) Savanna (2) Grace (1) Angel baby May 2011, and Angel Baby Dec 25th 2011. & ANNABELLE Oct. 17th 2012!!!
BooneNicuMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #30
sillyutalktome
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm doing ok. I ended up going in last Tuesday as I had over two hours of contractions that wouldn't stop even though they were irregular intervals still. All signs point to these being just really strong braxton hicks, no cervical changes at all. It hadn't even shortened any from the ultrasound three weeks before. I haven't done the hypnobabies track yet but I found a short little explanation of how to do some of it online and I've been doing that. I increased my Vitamin C after reading the article linked above. It's just really hard and scary to be contracting this early, plus it hurts and my whole belly is sore. I'll be 24 weeks Thursday and time is just crawling getting to that milestone.