Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #51
phridae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: S/O of the $1.50 per day

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
Ok got my individual plan- 2. one has stuff that I don't usually eat and would rather not, but I could eat it. The second has no varity at all, but it includes food that I do eat- just not 5 days in a row and I would usually have more fruit and veggies and cheese.

first plan (the one I will probably not go with)
1 doz eggs 1.69
1lb fresh carrots 1.00
1lb lentil .98
1 lb rice .78
smoked sausage 2.00
2 packs ramen .44
2 apples .60
total 7.49

Breakfast all 5 days 2 eggs, lunch all 5 days lentils w/rice and carrots
dinners- smoked sausage w/ramen (without the seasoning packet) and carrots; smoked sausage, rice seasoned with the ramen packet, carrots; lentils with ramen; smoked sausage w/rice and carrots; last day- anything left over- probably more lentil and rice. This plan leaves 2 eggs and 2 apples to be eaten where ever i want. the apples probably to be eaten a half at a time so that I can have apple 4 days

Plan 2 and the one I will probably go with
5 packs ramen 1.10
1 doz eggs 1.69
1 bag frozen mixed veggies .98
5lbs rice .78
1lb black beans 1.38
1 can whole tomatoes (the last time i got a can it had 5 tomatoes in it) .79
Garlic .30
1 orange .35
Total: 7.37 or 7.49 if I go with the banana plan

breakfast 2 eggs, lunch ramen w/mixed veggies, dinner black beans n rice with tomato and garlic. This plan leaves 2 eggs to eat whenever and an orange which will probably be split in half or even quarters to spread it out.

For the second plan I am torn between having 2 eggs for breakfast and 1 orange for the 5 days- thinking the orange packs a good punch and the 2 eggs will keep me full longer. Plus the 12 eggs even If I eat one at a time I can space them out to take care of hunger throughout the day. the other option I was thinking would be buying 6 eggs and 5 bananas (in place of 12 eggs and an orange). This way i get a fruit everyday but only 1 egg a day and only 1 extra egg to fill in the gaps. Bananas are pretty filling but I don't like taking away the back up eggs or the Vit C that the orange would give. What do you ladies think?
I'm kinda impressed with both of these lists. I'd go with the banana plan, that whole serving a fruit a day is important.

Advertisement

Old 04-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #52
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethany89 View Post
I think in order to do this you have to completely change your mindset. Heck with fresh fruits and veggies - I would be hitting up Aldi's and their .49 cans of veggies. If I have that little bit of money, I am not wasting it on bags of apples - sad to say... I would rather spend .49 at Aldis for a can of fruit cocktail - its still fruit just... not what we would use normally.

That being said... I am considering doing this.
So... this doesn't include things like.... sugar, flour, spices, etc.. that I already have at home or does it? We can't use what we already have at home, right?
I think oz per oz Aldis frozen veggies are a better deal as no liquid to dilute the quanitity.

I just drained and weighed a can of corn. The can claims a weight of 15.25oz. After draining it the corn weighed only 9oz.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #53
issybissy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There is this thing called fasting, where you don't eat anything or drink anything from dawn til dusk. People of the Muslim faith do this, one of the reasons being is that it helps you feel how the poor people feel in terms of hunger..this fasting is not limited to food intake, but also extravagant spending...so yes, I think the challenge is doable. Doctors also see fasting as a means to live longer...http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/i...healthy?page=3. When u fast, you should cut out processed and junk foods, eat less quantity. Eggs and toast for breakfast with water...a couple of glasses of water. Open the fast at sunset with a piece of fruit to bring sugar level up, followed with rice/ lentils for a balance of carb and protein/iron. This is also cleansing for your body. Drink lots of tap water. And maybe a banana afterwards... Canned or frozen veggies can also be added to the rice to make it become larger in quantity and more nutritious. You will definatly not Get full off of a $1.50 but u will be able to sustain yourself for the moment and increase the longevity of your life.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:59 PM   #54
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
We're pretending we don't have a stock pile. Realistically if you had this kind of grocery budget you'd not be able to build a big stock pile. So we're ignoring ours. Hypothetically- because my kids would starve if we did the challenge and my husband would divorce me. So I may try the challenge on my own which would make shopping a whole lot harder, but I am still trying to come up with 4 person scenario even if my family won't do it.

You could price the smaller stuff out and measure your bulk stuff into the smaller priced package size, but it would just be easier to buy the smaller. You'd spend a lot of time in the store writing sizes and prices down to come up with your cost. And you'd need to since we spend way less per unit when we buy in bulk. Sucks- if you could come up with the money to buy in bulk, you'd save so much in the long run- or even get the break for that initial start. But a lot of people can't come up with the larger amount at one time.

I don't know that I'd include daycare kids in the challenge- other then it would give you more money per trip- the meals aren't balanced at all. There is just no way to balance them if you are buying everything. A lot of the bloggers who have done it have talked about feeling dizzy and not being able to concentrate, tired- all the good stuff that goes with malnutrition. Your parents might not like that. But then if you could include a portion for money for them you might be able to get more balanced meals for everyone.

I am really rambling, that's what happens when you stay up all night thinking about this challenge.
Yeah, me too!

OK, so since I'm always up for a challenge, I'm going to try for more balanced lunches so I could include the daycare kids as well (I'm giving myself $.80/day for them.

I have 4 kids all day for 5 days @ $.80 = $16 plus one kid that comes 2 days = $1.60 plus our family of 5 for 5 days = $37.50 for a total of $55.10.

3 gallon milk = $9 (1 gallon for yogurt, 1/2 for drinking and the rest for gravy)
2 small containers yogurt (for starter) = $1
4 pounds carrots = $2
5 pounds bananas = $2.50
10 pounds potatoes = $5
4 dozen eggs = $4.80
4 pounds oranges = $1.29
3 pounds onions = $1.29
1 bag each frozen corn and peas = $2
2 pounds rice = $2
1 big container oatmeal = $4
1 whole chicken = $5
2 pounds butter = $4.60
1 container salt = $.60
2 5 pound bags flour = $6
1 bunch celery = $1
baking powder = $1
Total $53.08

Cooking projects
1. Use one gallon milk and yogurt starter to make a gallon of yogurt. Strain off whey to use in other stuff.
2. Cook whole chicken in crockpot. Pick every last bit of meat off to use for many dishes.
3. Use carrot peelings, onion tops and the end of the celery with carcass to make whole pot of broth.
4. Make homemade noodles. I've never done that before.

Breakfasts - Oatmeal, yogurt or eggs w/ half a banana or orange
Lunches - mashed potatoes (approx. 4 pounds) w/ chicken bits in gravy with peas x 2, homemade noodles in broth with chicken, carrots and celery (soup) with corn x 2, eggs with biscuits, fruit and roasted potatoes (3-4 potatoes depending on size)
Dinner-rice with onions and carrots with x 2, baked potato (as many as are left) with butter and yogurt in place of sour cream & carrot/celery sticks, biscuits and milk gravy with eggs x 2,
Snacks-oatmeal, yogurt, banana muffin, or pancakes made with whey and banana for sweetness

Wow! Way bland meals. And I didn't realize until I sat down to do the meals how having a bigger family helps with variety. Doing the same thing with 1-2 people would be next to impossible without eating the same things every day. Also I really take for granted the ability to refrigerate items. I am a big batch cooker. Not everyone could make a gallon of yogurt or chicken broth and eat from it all week. Certainly eye opening. I'll talk to DH about doing this next week. I do my shopping on Sundays.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:35 AM   #55
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did a calorie count on my most likely individual plan- if I use the the entire bag of rice (10 servings- would be 2 cups a day) and the entire bag of beans (.75 cup) I end up with 1037 calories. That is a lot of rice with only a little impact. Wish I could afford some olive oil- or any kind of oil to up my calories.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:53 AM   #56
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm fascinated by the idea, but I just don't know how to do it (like a previous poster stated, without starving the kids and getting divorced). And I have an advantage - I work fast food and therefore get one free meal per day I work a 5 hour shift. I am not allowed to bring it home, however, so I would still have to figure out what the rest of the family was going to eat.

And even with a hypothetical menu, I know that's not going to be filling. Sure, Ramen noodles are maybe 25 cents a pack - but how long is that going to fill you up?
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:16 AM   #57
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have been following the treads about the challenge. I have found it so interesting I wanted to share a blog that I follow about budget eating. She breaks all of the meals down by price total and serving. They seem pretty tasty.

http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/
Old 04-28-2012, 08:01 AM   #58
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh another thing to consider if we are making this as "real" as possible...I have a DD (6 months) who is still almost exclusively on formula. My milk totally dried up 2 months ago despite pumping around the clock. How would you work a scenario like that in? I do not know any lactating mothers currently to get BM from and my freezer stash disappeared awhile ago...
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #59
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrsenadenos View Post
Oh another thing to consider if we are making this as "real" as possible...I have a DD (6 months) who is still almost exclusively on formula. My milk totally dried up 2 months ago despite pumping around the clock. How would you work a scenario like that in? I do not know any lactating mothers currently to get BM from and my freezer stash disappeared awhile ago...
That makes me cringe. The idea of someone who isn't able to nurse needing to eat on this kind of budget. And realistically a mother who was nursing eating these kind of meals would not have a lot of breast milk to begin with.

The menu would have to be even worse because you'd (someone really in this situation) have to get milk from somewhere- defiantly wouldn't be able to provide formula. And the rules say you can't accept free food from from families and such. Its scary to know that some people do have to live like this.

If you wanted to do it (or hypothetically do it) I would keep your lo out of it. Do your budget excluding your lo then feed your lo as you normally would. Although you wouldn't get full picture the challenge is trying to show, you would still get the picture.

I am going to do the individual plan and I imagine I am going to be starving- or you never know- I am not used to eating a egg a day or that much beans and rice. i might be incredibly bloated and full feeling all the time, even tough I will not actually be full. If I were to include my family it would be easier- but my kids are the starving kids- the would actually starve if I tried to feed them beans and rice. They'd cry and dh would get angry (he hates beans and rice too). Dh isn't willing to do the challenge.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #60
altuttle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I have mine set up the UK version which is 1 pound per person per day. I figured out my list and pulled out our 30 pounds and put it in an envelope. I went and got all our shelf stable things and have 8.16 pounds left to buy milk, eggs, and perishables.

My supplies bought so far:
item how many cost total
TESCO
tesco everyday spaghetti 2 0.35
almond milk 2 2
cathedral mature cheddar 1 1.99
country life butter 2 2
table salt 1 0.29
tesco everyday pepper 1 0.18
tesco mixed herbs 1 0.19
Tesco chicken cubes 1 0.1
tesco sieved passata 2 0.58
molases sugar 1 1.19
discounter sunflower oil1 1.39
red lentils 1 0.83
chopped tomatoes 1 0.31
kidney beans 1 0.18
oaklane blackcurrant jam 1 0.89
tesco everyday peanut butter 1 0.62
granulated sugar 1kg 1 0.98
allinsons yeast 1 0.64
tesco oats 1 0.75
tea 1 0.27
cornflakes 2 0.62
flour 2 1.04

SAINSBURYS
rice 1 0.4
baking powder 1 0.83
salsa 1 0.69
chili powder 1 0.63
peaches canned 3 0.87

ASDA
cinnamon 1 0.55
cumin 1 0.48

choices for Breakfast:
toast and egg
cornflakes
oatmeal

Lunches:
peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
leftovers
with fruit

Dinners:
Spaghetti
breakfast burritos
lentil tacos
lentil chili & rice
pasta with butter, garlic, cheese,
cheese pizza and garlic bread

It doesnt seem to be so bad so far. We definatley will not have nearly as much fruit and veg as we normally do and we will have almost no meat. I will be buying a pack of off cuts bacon as our only meat for the week. All our bread and tortillas will be homemade. It isnt nearly as wholesome as what we normally eat as we normall eat all whole wheat bread, tortills, pasta ect. There are some ingredients in some of the items that we normally wouldnt eat as well.

Last edited by altuttle; 04-28-2012 at 12:05 PM.
altuttle is offline   Reply With Quote