Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
JadeScarlet
Registered Users

How much food?

I'm curious about how much I should be giving him. I tend to fill up a 4oz pot of food and he eats it all, then he gets some fruit after. Should I give him more?

Sometimes I think he'll stop eating if he's full, but I'm not sure. I'm guilty of not stopping when I'm full - if something is tasty I'll keep eating it well past fullness. I don't want to overfeed him and give him a tummy ache later.

If it makes a difference, we are sort of BLW and sort of not - I give DS the same stuff we eat except I mash it up with a fork or food processer then spoon feed him. We tried letting him feed himself but its just too messy - he smears banana all over his face and in his hair, on my clothes, on the floor. When I spoonfeed him a mashed banana, 90% goes in his mouth and I don't have to change his outfit or bathe him after. Sometimes I'll give him a whole carrot chunk and watch him suck on it - he loves that! And he will also bite off chunks of banana, but if I give him a piece to hold in his hand, it goes everywhere else first before it reaches his mouth.

He loves food and eats pretty much everything with excitement and anticipation. I love watching him open his mouth and lean towards the spoon.

Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
How old is he?

Are you nursing/bottlefeeding first? Or going straight to solids?
Old 04-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
JadeScarlet
Registered Users

Re: How much food?

8 months. He usually gets a half or full feed before solids. He tends to nurse about 5 minutes on each side, which doesn't seem like much, but he's been doing it that way since he was a newborn and gains plenty of weight (he is just over 20 lbs now).

Our day goes something like this:
(somewhere between 6-7AM)
Wake up
Breastfeed both sides
9AM - fruit
11AM breastfeed one side. (he loses interest quickly, although on occasion he will go for both sides).
12ish-1ish - lunch (veggies, sometimes meat, sometimes rice or pasta)

afternoon: chaos. Sometimes naps sometimes doesn't, usually sometime between 2 and 5 PM he will BF on one side and sometimes he'll want both. He is also offered a sippy cup of water, but only after he has refused to BF.

around 5:30-6PM: dinner (meat and veg usually. If he eats it all he gets fruit for dessert).

bath time

7ish - breastfeed both sides until he falls asleep.

He often wakes up twice in the night, around midnight, and again at 5AM, and I feed him back to sleep. I have experimented with trying to resettle without feeding and it takes about an hour or two of listening to him scream, and feeding takes about 5 minutes. I'm pretty sure he isn't hungry but I just can't handle walking him around for hours all night long.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
GodLover
Registered Users
seller

Re: How much food?

I think it sounds fine but I'm anxious to get solids going. I think as long as he is still nursing and getting that nutrition your fine.
GodLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Yeah... Sounds fine, really.

As long as what you're feeding him us nutritious and you're offering the boob first and often, not sure there's much else you can do