Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #11
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do we need to be boiling bottles and nipples?

We have always just used the dishwasher. My ped said it was fine.

Advertisement

My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #12
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

if you aren't struggling with thrush, then soap and water should be fine.

We struggled with thrush for several months (mostly because I refused to throw out my pumped thrush milk). I sanitized everything between uses and the thrush went away quickly. That included pacifiers. She got her pacifier sanitized nightly (rotated between 2).

I stopped doing it at 12months when we moved and the sterilizer got packed away.

Maybe unnecessary, but I even sterilized the spoon/fork that she used that day. I did not want the thrush to come back.

Last edited by EmilytheStrange; 04-23-2012 at 08:37 PM.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #13
reneaumommy
Registered Users
seller

I have 2 kids. Have never sanitized anything and we never had thrush.
reneaumommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #14
leila03ash
Registered Users

I have 2 kids also and have never sterilized anything. Soap and water for us. No problems so far, knock on wood.
leila03ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #15
michelle32190
Registered Users
seller

My son had a horrible thrush infection as a baby. I boiled everything, but he ended up having to have his whole mouth painted with some purple stuff at the doctors... That finally got rid of it for good. What the docs told me was that boiling is necessary when treating thrush with medicine, otherwise you're taking two steps forward with the meds and one step back when you give baby an infected bottle. As far as I know, thrush doesn't *originate* from bottles not being sterilized... It is a yeast infection, and most babies first contact with yeast is actually in the birth canal. Good luck with your LO!!
michelle32190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #16
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle32190
My son had a horrible thrush infection as a baby. I boiled everything, but he ended up having to have his whole mouth painted with some purple stuff at the doctors... That finally got rid of it for good. What the docs told me was that boiling is necessary when treating thrush with medicine, otherwise you're taking two steps forward with the meds and one step back when you give baby an infected bottle. As far as I know, thrush doesn't *originate* from bottles not being sterilized... It is a yeast infection, and most babies first contact with yeast is actually in the birth canal. Good luck with your LO!!
Yes.

If someone didn't have thrush, then it doesn't matter how they washed their bottles.

It's very different for kids dealing with thrush (often from GBS+ moms) and contracted during birth from the canal or due to the antibiotics.