Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-29-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
Ladyinwaiting72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Nellies All Natural Laundry Soda

Can someone please tell me how is this different from Super Washing Soda by Arm N Hammer. AND what is it paired with in the wash?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum App

Advertisement

Ladyinwaiting72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
Ladyinwaiting72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Bump

Old 05-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
Ladyinwaiting72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Bump

Old 05-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #4
lovebabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I haven't used A&H, but I used to use Nellie's! It is used as detergent, and I added in a bit of their oxygen brightener with each load. I LOVED it, and it got my diapers really clean-no stink, no stains, and not a lot of extra rinses. The only reason I'm not using it now is it got a little pricy for my budget. I found the best price at crateandbarrel.com.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #5
Ladyinwaiting72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
By A&H I meant Arm & Hammer like the baking soda. But it's called Super Washing Soda. Wanted to know what's the difference bt that n Nellies

Old 05-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
cassie.sattler
Registered Users
seller

Re: Nellies All Natural Laundry Soda

nellies appears to not have any enzymes, brighteners, dyes, scents or softeners which is cd safe.
http://www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html

and it appears the only ingredients are coconut oil surfactants and sodium silicate. sodium silicate is stated as fallowing
"detergents are used in cleaning household surfaces, dishes and washing laundry. Sodium silicate is a building agent used in many commercial detergents. The purpose of the sodium silicate to is prevent mineral deposits on surfaces after washing by removing water hardness. According to Laundry101.com it is especially effective on calcium ions creating an irreversible reaction. It is best to use sodium silicate with a surfactant that pulls dirt away from the material. "
http://www.ehow.com/how_6003392_use-...detergent.html

surfactants are used in commercial brands of laundry detergent for their cleaning abilities and being from coconuts completely natural.

"Surfactants are compounds that lower the surface tension of a liquid, the interfacial tension between two liquids, or that between a liquid and a solid. Surfactants may act as detergents, wetting agents, emulsifiers, foaming agents, and dispersants."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surfactant

however i have ran across a few sites that also claim it has washing soda (sodium percarbonate) as the first ingredient

"Sodium softens water by binding with Calcium and Magnesium forming solid, which can be rinsed off the fabric. �However, if not rinsed thoroughly, the minerals can redeposit onto the fabric and cause problems. �

Washing soda's PH is 11, very caustic (neutral PH is 7). Need to wear gloves to handle. �If not rinsed well, may cause skin irritation on baby's skin. �It doesn't dissolve in water as fast as baking soda, and its molecule is sharp, and can rub and damage thin fabrics. �Theoretically baking soda is sharp too, but since it dissolves in water so easily, it rarely damages fabric. �

Two things about washing soda that are great. �One, it has 2 sodium in its chemical formation, very effective in softening water. Two, it's very caustic (ph 11) so it's great in degreasing and removing stain."
http://community.babycenter.com/post...ent_nerd_alert

Last edited by cassie.sattler; 05-06-2012 at 11:18 AM.
cassie.sattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #7
myk
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Nellies All Natural Laundry Soda

arm and hammer super washing soda is sodium carbonate. just sodium carbonate. which is a main ingredient of most detergents. it is not, in itself, a detergent. nellie's washing soda IS a complete detergent, and contains surfactants as well as other ingredients to make it do a proper job. if you use just arm and hammer super washing soda, it won't work well - it's intended as a laundry booster (like borax or oxyclean - use WITH detergent).
myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #8
Ladyinwaiting72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassie.sattler
nellies appears to not have any enzymes, brighteners, dyes, scents or softeners which is cd safe.
http://www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html

and it appears the only ingredients are coconut oil surfactants and sodium silicate. sodium silicate is stated as fallowing
"detergents are used in cleaning household surfaces, dishes and washing laundry. Sodium silicate is a building agent used in many commercial detergents. The purpose of the sodium silicate to is prevent mineral deposits on surfaces after washing by removing water hardness. According to Laundry101.com it is especially effective on calcium ions creating an irreversible reaction. It is best to use sodium silicate with a surfactant that pulls dirt away from the material. "
http://www.ehow.com/how_6003392_use-sodium-silicate-detergent.html

surfactants are used in commercial brands of laundry detergent for their cleaning abilities and being from coconuts completely natural.

"Surfactants are compounds that lower the surface tension of a liquid, the interfacial tension between two liquids, or that between a liquid and a solid. Surfactants may act as detergents, wetting agents, emulsifiers, foaming agents, and dispersants."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surfactant

however i have ran across a few sites that also claim it has washing soda (sodium percarbonate) as the first ingredient

"Sodium softens water by binding with Calcium and Magnesium forming solid, which can be rinsed off the fabric. �However, if not rinsed thoroughly, the minerals can redeposit onto the fabric and cause problems. �

Washing soda's PH is 11, very caustic (neutral PH is 7). Need to wear gloves to handle. �If not rinsed well, may cause skin irritation on baby's skin. �It doesn't dissolve in water as fast as baking soda, and its molecule is sharp, and can rub and damage thin fabrics. �Theoretically baking soda is sharp too, but since it dissolves in water so easily, it rarely damages fabric. �

Two things about washing soda that are great. �One, it has 2 sodium in its chemical formation, very effective in softening water. Two, it's very caustic (ph 11) so it's great in degreasing and removing stain."
http://community.babycenter.com/post/a27556305/de-myth_baking_soda_washing_soda_borax_detergent_nerd _alert
Thanks Cassie! This is exactly the info I was after! The science behind the ingredients!!
Old 06-18-2012, 06:48 AM   #9
Ladyinwaiting72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Anyone use RubyMoon laundry detergent? All I see in ing list is really Washing soda and Borax.... No detergent or surfactant??? What gives?