Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-29-2012, 06:41 AM   #1
missc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Positive induction experiences? Stubborn baby boy!!

I will be 42/41+5 tomorrow and the Dr. decided it's time for DS to come out. I went into labor naturally at 40 with DD1, 39+1 with DD2 (after being stripped), and I totally expected to go early with this one! But, here we are approaching 42 and he isn't here yet.
I've had prodromal labor and wonderful contractions for a couple of weeks, and was even stripped a week and a half ago which resulted in decent contractions and loss of mucous plug (sorry, TMI) - but he's still in. We've tried the "natural induction" methods I'm comfortable with (sex, walking, some on the spinningbabies website as I was worried that positioning was stopping labor from progressing, etc) At my last internal check 2 weeks ago he was 2-3cm and just a little posterior, otherwise she thought he was ready. Had a NST last week Tues and he looked good, with contractions every 2 min.
Anyway, I'm a bit anxious about this induction - I really would prefer not to be in the hospital for the entire labor. The Dr. said that we'll go in and they'll just "break my water" and away it will go.
Does anyone have positive induction experiences? Or ideas/things I should request to make this go well? He could come today, but at this point I'm doubting it! Thanks

Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 07:00 AM   #2
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Re: Positive induction experiences? Stubborn baby boy!!

Well I was induced with my first because she didn't want to come out and it was very smooth and a total of 7 1/2 hours from start to finish (I was not dilated at all when I went in), with my second I was also induced (which I now regret but that is a whole different story) and it went wonderfully as well. That labor from start to finish was 5 1/2 hours. They got me started on the pit and then broke my water and things just went super fast. Luckily with my 3rd I did not get induced (contractions are much worse with pit) but both of my induced labors were very very easy and very fast. Although my non induced labor was 4 1/2 hours so I just labor really fast in general.
Good luck with your induction!

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:17 AM   #3
missc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby View Post
Well I was induced with my first because she didn't want to come out and it was very smooth and a total of 7 1/2 hours from start to finish (I was not dilated at all when I went in), with my second I was also induced (which I now regret but that is a whole different story) and it went wonderfully as well. That labor from start to finish was 5 1/2 hours. They got me started on the pit and then broke my water and things just went super fast. Luckily with my 3rd I did not get induced (contractions are much worse with pit) but both of my induced labors were very very easy and very fast. Although my non induced labor was 4 1/2 hours so I just labor really fast in general.
Good luck with your induction!
Thanks I'm hoping that it will go ok.

Has anyone had their water broken and no pit and active labor has started?
Old 04-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #4
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I had my membranes stripped with DD2, went in to labor almost exactly 12 hours later. Went to the hospital, and after about 6 hours kind of stalled, so they started me on minimal pitocin and only upped the dosage once. Within a few hours I was ready to push. I think I pushed too hard, though, because I tore, BUT I only pushed for an hour. And while the tear was unpleasant, I felt pretty good after a few days, and it was nothing compared to my C-section with DD1.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
isaacsmum
Registered Users

I was induced for medical reasons at 39w with my second, so I was hardly effaced or dialated, and I did have to start with pit. I'd say that it really wasn't that bad - I didn't notice a difference in the contractions compared to my first labor (not induced). I had regular, mild and closely spaced contractions for several hours. My water broke spontaneously, but once it did, I went from about 4cm to read to push in ~30min. It was a really easy labor and delivery. I hope it goes just as well for you!
Old 04-29-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missc View Post
Thanks I'm hoping that it will go ok.

Has anyone had their water broken and no pit and active labor has started?

I was going to with #3, but I had my membranes stripped at 4pm that afternoon and my ob said if I wanted to have a baby, just come in and she'd break my water. Low and behold, real labor began after we got to the hospital but before she could break my water since she had to do an emergent c-sec. Baby was born shortly after my water broke on it's own (40w1d). I was 5-6cm for a few day prior.

With #2, I was 40w6d and induced with pit...it was actually very pleasant, more so than #1's "natural" labor (that i got an epi with, i only say natural here b/c it was not medially induced labor).

Since contractions get harder to deal with after the water is broken, i'd opt for a little pitocin to see if that would get the show on the road before just breaking water. Pitocin can always be turned off once your body takes over, and if it doesn't work, then try breaking the water.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would really try to get him into a better position before your water is broken.it can be much more difficult to birth a baby who is posterior, and it's harder for baby to turn after the sac is broken. Is baby engaged? That is really important also, as cord prolapse is a risk and a real emergency.
Hope everything goes well!
Old 04-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #8
mpink22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was induced with DS. I was 3 cm already and was induced with pitocin and water breaking. It went very smoothly. I did get an epi. The whole thing from start to baby out lasted about 12 hours for a first child. I was prepared for a much longer labor. Good luck to you!
Old 04-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With DS1 i went in since I was leaking fluid, found out I was 4cm dialated and having contractions, I wasn't feeling anything at all. DR sent me to labor and delivery and Pitocin was started. Everything was great no problems and I felft great. Sat around talking to the nurse, my mom and DH until about 5pm when my water broke naturally. Contractions picked up then and DS was born at 8pm. Only about 2 pushes. The only scary part was that the nurses were having a hard time reaidng his heart rate so I had an internal monitor put on and that he was 4 weeks early.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
mysticmomma1879
Registered Users
seller
seller

If he's doing ok on nsts why can't you wait a few more days and do another nst? Are you doing epo?
mysticmomma1879 is offline   Reply With Quote