Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 10:06 PM   #21
BunnyMcFluff
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 561
Re: What do you consider a large family?

One more than what I have, however many I have, lol

ETA My dh and I have 5 between the two of us, but one is grown with a family of her own. Folks here don't seem to think we have a ridiculous amount of kids. I don't know if I feel like we are a large family. Sometimes I do. Other times I just think we are a gracious plenty.

Advertisement

__________________
Cami, wife to a guy and mom to some (ok, a lot of) kids

Last edited by BunnyMcFluff; 04-28-2012 at 10:13 PM.
BunnyMcFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:03 PM   #22
ServingHim's Avatar
ServingHim
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7,102
Re: What do you consider a large family?

I only have 1 sibling so I used to think anything over 2 or 3 was pretty big but now I have #6 on the way and it doesn't feel big although I'm sure most people that see us when we are out think we are a big family.
We are even starting to get the "you try'n to be the Duggars?" comment.
__________________
Kimberly, Blessed to be Carl's wife!
Mama to 6 sweet blessings!
ServingHim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:29 PM   #23
TwinMommaplus2's Avatar
TwinMommaplus2
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,871
My Mood:
Re: What do you consider a large family?

I think 4plus... but we have 5 and it doesnt seem that "big"
__________________
Motherhood is not a hobby, its a calling, you do not collect children because they are cuter than stamps, Its not something to do if you can squeeze the time in, its what god gave you time for. ~E. Anderson
TwinMommaplus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #24
american_mommy's Avatar
american_mommy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada but my heart is in Virginia
Posts: 1,873
My Mood:
Re: What do you consider a large family?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBananas View Post
I always thought 4-5+ was a 'big' family until i have 5 kids and it didn't seem big. I now have 7, and while I think we have a decent sized family, I am not sure I feel like we have a 'big' family. Not that that really answers your questions .
This is kind of how I feel. I always wanted 4 kids though now i want 6. Well I want more but know it shouldn't be because of c-sections.
In my town, we live in a very small town, there are 2 different groups of people I guess you would say. There are the Dutch community, very strict Dutch that can have 18+ kids. Then there is the non Dutch community(which I am one of) that the norm seems to be 2-3 kids. 2 is the most common. There are a bit of 3 and less 4. I think my kids say there is only one other family in their school like us with 5.
I sometimes feel like we have a big family but others not big enough. I would have absolutely loved a dozen kids But with my c-sections I know I can't. I promised dh one more and thats it because he is really scared of something bad happening to me
__________________
Tammy, SAHM to 6 little monsters, Hayley(13), Tyleigh(11), Justin(9), Riley(5) & Carter(2),Mason(born jan 16, 2013)
http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/american_mommy
Check out Mamapedia Sweet Deals here:
http://deals.mamapedia.com/?ref_id=3...ontent=hotmail
american_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #25
Bukawww's Avatar
Bukawww
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: vegas
Posts: 6,786
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by american_mommy

This is kind of how I feel. I always wanted 4 kids though now i want 6. Well I want more but know it shouldn't be because of c-sections.
In my town, we live in a very small town, there are 2 different groups of people I guess you would say. There are the Dutch community, very strict Dutch that can have 18+ kids. Then there is the non Dutch community(which I am one of) that the norm seems to be 2-3 kids. 2 is the most common. There are a bit of 3 and less 4. I think my kids say there is only one other family in their school like us with 5.
I sometimes feel like we have a big family but others not big enough. I would have absolutely loved a dozen kids But with my c-sections I know I can't. I promised dh one more and thats it because he is really scared of something bad happening to me
I'm curious what you mean by 'Dutch community' lol. My family is from Holland and large families are uncommon (4-6 being as big as most get). I can't see your 'location' so maybe you mean Amish?
__________________
Liana - WAHM to 4 little mamas and wife to my hawtie dh
Visit my website the Coconut Crush handcrafted soap, soy tarts, & so much more!
'Like' me on Facebook for giveaways, announcements, & even casual chit-chat!
DS WAHM thread
Bukawww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #26
american_mommy's Avatar
american_mommy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada but my heart is in Virginia
Posts: 1,873
My Mood:
Re: What do you consider a large family?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukawww View Post
I'm curious what you mean by 'Dutch community' lol. My family is from Holland and large families are uncommon (4-6 being as big as most get). I can't see your 'location' so maybe you mean Amish?
My dh is actually Dutch but these are a very religious Dutch community. I can't think of their religion right now. The women only wear skirts or dresses. They have a special school their kids go to. My dh's dad was born in Holland and moved to Canada when he was 2. I tease him cause all of his brothers and sister married Dutch and he married an American
I am not sure how these Dutch are different from Holland Dutch. I do know they have big families, not all of course but a lot of them do. Some have only a few.
Oh and no they aren't Amish. Will have to ask dh is he knows their religion or what type of Dutch they are as I don't know but I know the area we live in has a lot of Dutch, not all from this community but it has a very strong Dutch background
__________________
Tammy, SAHM to 6 little monsters, Hayley(13), Tyleigh(11), Justin(9), Riley(5) & Carter(2),Mason(born jan 16, 2013)
http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/american_mommy
Check out Mamapedia Sweet Deals here:
http://deals.mamapedia.com/?ref_id=3...ontent=hotmail
american_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #27
epicurienne82's Avatar
epicurienne82
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 291
My Mood:
5+
__________________
Lauren, wife to Phil 5/19/07 , and mommy to Philip 9/4/08 and Andrew 8/17/10 .
epicurienne82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #28
saongiri's Avatar
saongiri
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,214
My Mood:
Re: What do you consider a large family?

grew up in a family of 12-now over what we have seems big
!
__________________
Sarah
- mama to Ray Olivia and Jack
saongiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #29
LeslieT's Avatar
LeslieT
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,502
My Mood:
Re: What do you consider a large family?

I am the youngest of 8 and my husband is the youngest of 9. My dad was the youngest of 10 and I am one of something between 40-50 first cousins just on his side. So my 4 kids doesn't seem like a lot to me.

OTOH, none of my siblings has more than 2 children, and none of dh's has more than 3, so we have the biggest family of our current generation, both sides. And all our siblings think we have a Big Family. Even in my kids' Catholic school, 2 kids is the norm; I totally believe that "80% of all Catholics use birth control" statistic that is being repeated everywhere these days. There are a couple of families--less than a dozen, I'd estimate--with kids at the school who have the stereotypical Catholic family with a lot of kids. I have two friendly acquaintances with 9 and 10 apiece, and I'm sure at least one of them isn't considering herself done.
__________________
Spread the Word to End the Word
LeslieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #30
SaraElise's Avatar
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,446
My Mood:
Re: What do you consider a large family?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieT View Post
I am the youngest of 8 and my husband is the youngest of 9. My dad was the youngest of 10 and I am one of something between 40-50 first cousins just on his side. So my 4 kids doesn't seem like a lot to me.

OTOH, none of my siblings has more than 2 children, and none of dh's has more than 3, so we have the biggest family of our current generation, both sides. And all our siblings think we have a Big Family. Even in my kids' Catholic school, 2 kids is the norm; I totally believe that "80% of all Catholics use birth control" statistic that is being repeated everywhere these days. There are a couple of families--less than a dozen, I'd estimate--with kids at the school who have the stereotypical Catholic family with a lot of kids. I have two friendly acquaintances with 9 and 10 apiece, and I'm sure at least one of them isn't considering herself done.
I know plenty of Catholic family who effectively used NFP to space or prevent more children. Especially with financial concerns in this economy.

The study that gave that statistic was actually proven to not be reliable as it didn't include women who were not having sex, pregnant, had recently been pregnant, or who did not classify themselves as using birth control. Many who use NFP (myself included) would not call it "birth control" even though I am currently using it to prevent, since we are always open to new life if that is what God has planned for us, even if it's not our plan.

In the end I think it worked out to be about 23% of people who identified themselves as Catholic (which might not even mean practicing Catholic) use birth control. No where near the 80-90% that has been quoted by the media.
__________________
Hi I'm Sara mommy to 4 little Mischief Makers
SaraElise is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.