Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
Melaine
Registered Users
seller

Breastmilk Jaundice?

Any experience with this?

DS is 11 days old and had the bili blanket for 3 days last week. At that point the ped told me to discontinue the blanket and come back and check today. Well today the bili was down more but not as much as they hoped so they have said it is breast milk jaundice so I am doing formula for 36 hours.

Any experience with this? I'm somewhat skeptical and am so afraid I will have trouble going back to the breast (obviously I am pumping).

Advertisement

Totally new to cloth, so any advice and info is much appreciated!
Melaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
momma2a&h
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Breastmilk Jaundice?

Oh mama! I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I dealt with Breastmilk Jaundice with my second. I have linked a couple good articles for you. I would say contact a LLL leader for some guidance. I am surprised that your pedi told you to supplement. If it is true breastmilk jaundice then there is no reason to stop nursing. In fact everything I read says to nurse more. More nursing = more poos = better excretion of bilirubin. Obviously you need to listen to the recommendations of your pedi if the levels are getting dangerously high but it sounds like the levels are getting lower and if that is the case than I truly see no reason to supplement. My LO was diagnosed with it at her two week check up. We got levels drawn and they were obviously elevated but my pedi advised me to continue breastfeeding and follow up with labs to ensure they were going down. As long as they were continuing to go down (which they did) we continued nursing. That was my experience with it ..... No matter what I am confident you will be able to continue nursing even if you take a break. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions or want to talk. Good luck mama!!

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/000995.htm

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/fir...ndjaundice.htm
Old 04-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
Melaine
Registered Users
seller

Thank you for the info! I'm on hold with my ped trying to sort out a lost test result...will check these links for sure and I didn't think about LLL....good idea!

Old 04-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
penguinmomma
Registered Users

I was also told to nurse more when my son had it.
penguinmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Absolutely no need to stop bf. You have been given bad medical advice. Keep LO on the breast as much as possible.
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #6
Melaine
Registered Users
seller

Thanks guys. I'm feeling sooo stressed about this, but he is taking the bottle fine. I'm just hoping he will go back to the breast fine and that the jaundice will resolve by our next test on Wednesday.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
mrjsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

too bad sounds like you were given the wrong advice My first had the same thing and my doc told us to supplement, I did my research and refused and nursed her like crazy...we essentially were in bed nursing for 2 weeks Her levels came back to normal just fine without using formula. There is no reason why you can't continue to put him to the breast even though he is getting a bottle. Obviously there should not be a bottle at all, if your supply is good I would nurse him more than rely on formula. If you don't put him to the breast for a week while you're supplementing you're right... you may have some trouble getting him back nursing exclusively. Good luck, I hope it all works out

Last edited by mrjsmom; 04-30-2012 at 05:37 PM.
mrjsmom is offline   Reply With Quote