Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
MommyCaroline
Registered Users
seller

Exclamation Homemade detergent HELP!!

I have been making my own for a few months now, but I am not impressed with the outcome of my laundry. I am finding that my clothes are wearing VERY fast!!! Any advice would be great!

This is my recipe:
1 box borax
1 box washing soda
1 box baking soda
3 bars Kirks Castile Bar soap
2 small containers oxyclean.

Grate the bars, mix everything well. To use, put 1/3 cup in a large load.

When I look in the washer while it's agitating, the water is BLACK!!! I do another full wash without detergent, and the water runs clear... I have tried to use more detergent, less detergent, hot water, cold water, warm water.... Nothing works! And then when the clothes come out of the dryer, they smell musty! I've even tried to use TTO and lavender essential oil to get rid of the smell... Nadda... I'm so stumped! I was looking forward to saving a bunch of money by making my own detergent, but I am REALLY close to going out and buying regular detergent again... PLEASE HELP!!!!!

<3

Advertisement

MommyCaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
LaniMami
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homemade detergent HELP!!

Several things come to mind reading that recipe, first that it could be kinda rough on clothes. Washing soda, borax, and oxyclean are kinda harsh to begin with, so maybe cut one of them out, see if that helps. Also, the boxes dont all come in the same sizes so perhaps using a measuring cup for more precise amounts would work better. My powder detergent recipe (been using at least 5 yrs with no issues) is 1 cup grated soap, 1 cup each borax & baking soda, oxyclean as needed or just toss a cup in the mix & stir well. I use 1-2 TBSP per load depending on what I'm washing. Never had stnkies either, and I use this in a front loader which is prone to mold/mildew. HTH a little!
Old 04-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
MommyCaroline
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaniMami View Post
Several things come to mind reading that recipe, first that it could be kinda rough on clothes. Washing soda, borax, and oxyclean are kinda harsh to begin with, so maybe cut one of them out, see if that helps. Also, the boxes dont all come in the same sizes so perhaps using a measuring cup for more precise amounts would work better. My powder detergent recipe (been using at least 5 yrs with no issues) is 1 cup grated soap, 1 cup each borax & baking soda, oxyclean as needed or just toss a cup in the mix & stir well. I use 1-2 TBSP per load depending on what I'm washing. Never had stnkies either, and I use this in a front loader which is prone to mold/mildew. HTH a little!

I used that same recipe when I first started, and had the same issues! :C I have a Maytag top loader...
Old 04-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
LaniMami
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm sure lots of mamas tried homemade detergent and it didnt work for them. Have you tried another type of bar soap? Sometimes thats the problem; I've never tried Kirks castile, I have used Ivory, Fels Naptha, and my own homemade coco castile soap with great success. Do you do vinegar rinses?
Old 04-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
MommyCaroline
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaniMami View Post

I'm sure lots of mamas tried homemade detergent and it didnt work for them. Have you tried another type of bar soap? Sometimes thats the problem; I've never tried Kirks castile, I have used Ivory, Fels Naptha, and my own homemade coco castile soap with great success. Do you do vinegar rinses?

Kirks is a coconut castile soap. SMELLS HEAVENLY!

I have tried Dr Bronner's bar soap and Fels... It has progressively been getting worse with each washing. Every time I have tried a new bar, I make a whole new batch, so I'm not totally sure it could be the bar soap.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
HarleighJanes.Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I wish I had some advice for you. We use liquid homemade on our diapers and haven't had issues. I just made my own powder detergent that has washing soda, borax, baking soda, soap and oxyclean and haven't had any issues. I want to say it has something to do with your washer if you have change the soap and it still didn't matter.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
MommyCaroline
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleighJanes.Mama View Post
I wish I had some advice for you. We use liquid homemade on our diapers and haven't had issues. I just made my own powder detergent that has washing soda, borax, baking soda, soap and oxyclean and haven't had any issues. I want to say it has something to do with your washer if you have change the soap and it still didn't matter.

Do you know how I could go about cleaning my washer?
Old 04-30-2012, 11:41 PM   #8
mypeanut09
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I use powdered detergent but do 1 cup borax, 1 cup washing soda, 1 grated bar castile soap. I only use about 1-2 tbsp per load. I usually use 1 tbsp detergent and 1 tbsp oxyclean since DH works as a mechanic and it helps with the grease. I haven't noticed any issues since switching. Are you maybe using too much detergent?

I love Kissed by the Moon & I'd love it if you shopped my affiliate link! Feel free to PM me with any questions!

mypeanut09 is offline   Reply With Quote