Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
Maddalena
Registered Users
seller

EC....what exactly is it?

Sounds like your old fashioned potty training to me. Maybe started earlier than they used to? I have a 19 month old. What's the difference between EC and pottytraining?

Advertisement

Maddalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
jessicah
Registered Users
seller

Re: EC....what exactly is it?

I think tribalbaby.org has the best info. on how old fashion pottytraining really was.

My mom in the early 70's had two girls a year apart. She lived withou a washer and hand washed flats everyday. She started putting her first on the potty around 7 months out of necessity b/c she could not be handwashing diapers plus clothes so much. (and she was pregnant with her second,too) Both of my sisters were potty trained like this so by one they were pretty much trained.

I think that is how it was done back then- only those with money could afford disposables. So the poor still had to use cloth, and still were handwashing. That meant you get your little one trained ASAP.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
hibiscus869
Registered Users

Yes I think that before disposable diapers EC/early potty training was the norm. My MIL never had a washing machine or disposables so not surprisingly my DH was totally potty trained by 16 months. I really like the books Diaper Free Baby and Diaper Free before 3 on the subject. EC Simplified.com is also very informative.

Last edited by hibiscus869; 04-30-2012 at 08:29 PM.
hibiscus869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:28 AM   #4
Maddalena
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicah
I think tribalbaby.org has the best info. on how old fashion pottytraining really was.

My mom in the early 70's had two girls a year apart. She lived withou a washer and hand washed flats everyday. She started putting her first on the potty around 7 months out of necessity b/c she could not be handwashing diapers plus clothes so much. (and she was pregnant with her second,too) Both of my sisters were potty trained like this so by one they were pretty much trained.

I think that is how it was done back then- only those with money could afford disposables. So the poor still had to use cloth, and still were handwashing. That meant you get your little one trained ASAP.
Yep I remember those days and did the same thing w my now teenager. We are old fashioned and I was broke. I started potty training around 9 months as customary in my family. He, however just went on the floor wherever he was until he was at least 4! He didn't get it but that might be partly because he's autistic. Back in the day they didn't have xl diapers...he was 30 lbs at a year so they didn't even make diapers to fit him so we used cloth training underwear...kept the poop off the carpets, that's about it.
Maddalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: EC....what exactly is it?

With a 19m old I don't think it would be any different than potty learning. What is different about EC is that people generally try to start before 3 months or at least 1 year.

That is not to say you can use the techniques with your 19mo, but that is the cause your r confusion I believe.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote