View Poll Results: What estrogen-dominant factors influenced your system or your ASD child's?
Hormonal birth control prior to conception (within 2 years) 1 9.09%
Dietary and environmental estrogen "leaching sources" like BPA 1 9.09%
Pitocin-induction lasting >24 hours 0 0%
Any two of the above 5 45.45%
All of the above 1 9.09%
None of the above 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
Havah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Question Estrogen Dominance and ASD

Anyone else been following this?

I've been thinking about the differences between DS and his little sisters (other than gender, obviously).
1) I ate horribly during my pregnancy with him (didn't know then what I know now): MSG, HFCS, soy bi-products galore, canned foods, you name it!
2) I drank from BPA-laden water bottles
3) I was on hormonal b.c. (even though I had a known negative reaction to it - mild depression) for a year before conceiving him
4) Induced birth - 68 hours on pitocin
5) he was partially bottle-fed (about 10-50% formula as he got older), and yes, this was before the BPA ban, too.

(Underlying similarity between the kiddos: all c-section births, all vax'd. Let's not get-off topic here, I'm just trying to compare/contrast.)

The girls: 1) shifting to whole foods for everyone, most canned foods axed
2) no b.c. since before DS was born
3) no BPA bottles anymore (me or them)
4) exclusive breastfeeding (extended for DD1, DD2 is only 6 months but I intend to let her self-wean as well)
5) no induction (only pit exposure was trace in my breastmilk for the small amount they administered after delivery)

So! I'm essentially polling in case anyone else noticed similar patterns? Or if anyone else had any info sources?

Note: I do believe there are genetic tags for ASD, and in my own early childhood memories I've seen some of the red flags, so I'm really interested more in "triggers" than acute causes. I've just started looking into this ... search engines aren't pulling many direct hits except this one-

http://www.ageofautism.com/2011/05/a...-seizures.html

Others barely touch on it or are poorly researched. I did see this post on another forum and it really got me wondering:
"I think I'm onto something here. Just read this article on how they are blocking copper in the body to treat regrowth of vessels after surgery (to stop blockage). Copper is sent in the body to help cells regrow and increases inflammation. The one big thing that has changed over the years are women's long term use of birth control pills. Birth control pills will make a woman estrogen dominant and will cause her to hold onto excess copper. If she gives birth to a child and passes this excess copper on, then if there is a stressful event during delivery, lack of oxygen, increased pitocin or anything like that, vaccines will do this too. The excess copper is sent to reapair. The major disregulation of copper comes into play with the fungal infection. The copper accumilates in the intestines, where it is hard to detect and when the yeasts die-off, they release the copper into the bloodstream. The copper in the gut also makes it more permeable. The unbound copper from the indigestion of proteins and lack of zinc (remember, not only does copper antagonize zinc, so does folic acid-something pregnant women take gross amounts of). This is it. i think. Copper is hard to chelate because it is smaller. Zinc can help, but you need the small protein peptites to bind to copper to help it's excretion out of the body, i think? hmm."

Here's another indirectly-related article-
http://www.autismtoday.com/articles/...esearchers.htm

Advertisement

Last edited by Havah; 04-30-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Havah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Estrogen Dominance and ASD

Very interesting! I love reading different theories. I know there is a genetic link but I think there is something in our environment adding to it, something triggering it.

I took birth control for a decade before both boys
DS1 has some s/s but didn't meet criteria for an asd when tested. He had the pit during his birth, required vacuum, oxygen, and generally struggled as a little guy. DS2 is my classically autistic son and he had a super easy birth. I had also been off the birth control since I tried to conceive ds1, I was pushing the 2 year mark so I marked 2 of the above.

I didn't know about bpa until ds2 was 1 or 2 years old and I'm sure I was exposed to plenty, as were they. Ate much better, more natural with #2 because I had gained to much weight with #1 and didn't want that to happen again.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm not sure if you want me to vote because DS1 isn't technically diagnosed but I think he has mild asperger's- he is diagnosed ADHD though.
I was on bc pills for years up until the month before he was conceived, switched to BPA water bottles because I was a breastfeeding mom and trying to drink plenty of water, I also was induced with him with pit for about 12 hours. He was breastfed until he weaned himself at 15 months but he did have about 3 bottles (BPA) per week while I worked in the evenings from 8 months on.
My second son who doesn't have the same issues had almost the same exact "exposures" though.
My 3rd, 4th, & 5th all refused bottle of any kind, I never went back on bc after #2, and I think that was about the time we found out about BPA.
I was induced with pit for all 5. My first 2 were almost EBF- the last 3 were EBF.
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
kimmiepie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wish we could pick more than one option.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
mamasab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have never been on any form of birth control. DD was an emergency c-section, but no pitocin. DS1 was a homebirth. Neither ever had a bottle. DD was fed mostly organic, etc...was a bit more lax with DS1, haha. My kids basically had as little exposure to estrogen as possible in today's world and they both are on the spectrum. We'll see what happens with DS2
Overall our family seems to go against all the "possible causes" from all kind of research...no vaxes, DH and I were young, I was thin, I didn't have gestational diabetes, and on and on and on. Kind of drives me crazy sometimes, I actually do wish I had something to point to besides my obviously faulty genes.
mamasab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
Havah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks, gals! Yeah, I'm not trying to pinpoint even a "primary" trigger, just trying to illuminate hazards with the newly-released CDC rates. Like I mentioned, my childhood memories point to SPD/touches of Asperger's, but I was raised in such a quieter, cleaner environment: homegrown veggies and chickens/ducks/eggs, and each year my fam purchased half a beef from our next-door neighbor. Mom made all our bread, and while we did get processed food occasionally, it was highly rashioned. There was also waaay less environmental stimuli - I spent a lot of time outside and was homeschooled.

... but my Dad is an "eccentric" with an extremely high IQ, and my brother shows many of the signs of an Aspie.
Meanwhile, I had early onset-menstration (at 11), and that really got me wondering. The women in my family have a history of really heavy periods and fibroids - I did not have a "normal" cycle until I'd breastfed a year and shifted to 90% whole foods/30-50% organic, and started cutting a lot of the environmental toxins ... made me start to really question the prevalence of autism in our country. Epecially with us routinely consuming things that are banned in Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmiepie View Post
I wish we could pick more than one option.
Yeah, I kind of thought about that after the fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasab View Post
I have never been on any form of birth control. DD was an emergency c-section, but no pitocin. DS1 was a homebirth. Neither ever had a bottle. DD was fed mostly organic, etc...was a bit more lax with DS1, haha. My kids basically had as little exposure to estrogen as possible in today's world and they both are on the spectrum. We'll see what happens with DS2
Overall our family seems to go against all the "possible causes" from all kind of research...no vaxes, DH and I were young, I was thin, I didn't have gestational diabetes, and on and on and on. Kind of drives me crazy sometimes, I actually do wish I had something to point to besides my obviously faulty genes.

Don't do that to yourself, mama! Your genes aren't faulty - for one thing, your DH might have contributed. For another, I don't think that it's "autism in a vacuum" that's the issue. Most of the greatest minds in history show signs of being in the spectrum, from Einstein to Mozart to Jefferson. The issue is if our children are incapable of emerging, and when they're little it's devastatingly difficult to predict!
But I appreciate your candor. Because it's no easier to sit as so many of us did and say "If I hadn't ____ [insert blame here: be it induced, vax'd, etc], my child wouldn't struggle today." Instead, that just breeds guilt which gets us nowhere.

And I confess that I've been a cynic of the vax blame from the beginning. Not because I don't think it can be a factor or a trigger, but because I think blaming vaccines exclusively is frankly too simplistic. The movement is breeding rabid dichotomies to the point of rendering friendships, and that worries me as we need to be supporting each other and brainstorming everything that is feeding these astronomical rates!

The reason I didn't want to get "off-topic" is because I'm firmly fixed "in between" as vax's go. I firmly believe that we over-vax in the US, but I also don't believe that vaccines cause autism exclusively or that they're "the" trigger for every spectrum child. (FWIW, I do believe currect general vax schedules are a contributing factor to national health issues.) I think we need to keep digging and exploring.

My interest in estrogen dominance is rooted in my tendency to look for "common denominators" in multiple problems. I have so many friends with issues relating to their thyroid ... or endometriosis ... or fertility ... or allergies ... or cancer ... or kids on the spectrum ...
... and each one of these issues has a tendril of synthetic hormone (generally estrogen) conneced to it. So really, that's all I'm trying to explore here. Generating chatter.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
kimmiepie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I voted any 2 of the above, but I meant to vote *all* of the above.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #8
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

I should mention that my oldest who is ADHD and probably an aspie is a very intelligent little boy- he is in a gifted and art immersion program at school. He is finishing his second year of french and plays french horn and trumpet.
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #9
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havah View Post
my childhood memories point to SPD/touches of Asperger's, but I was raised in such a quieter, cleaner environment: homegrown veggies and chickens/ducks/eggs, and each year my fam purchased half a beef from our next-door neighbor. Mom made all our bread, and while we did get processed food occasionally, it was highly rashioned. There was also waaay less environmental stimuli - I spent a lot of time outside and was homeschooled.

... but my Dad is an "eccentric" with an extremely high IQ, and my brother shows many of the signs of an Aspie.
Meanwhile, I had early onset-menstration (at 11)

Sounds alot like my childhood, right down to my dad, brother and menstruation time. My second child was diagnosed with ASD at age 2, and I also have a first cousin who has Aspergers (and his dad, my mom's brother probably had it too)

I only selected the dietary/environmental etc. exposure as I have never been on birth control, and the only pitocin I had was for DD1's birth (and not an induction, but to restart labour after the epi slowed it down)

I guess the only differences in my 1st and 2nd pregnancy was the fact that I was on 2 drugs for morning sickness for the first 4 months or so the 2nd time around.

DD2 was delayed for vaxing (not on purpose, she kept getting colds and I would put it off) and has not even had the MMR yet due to allergies. I, too, think they can be a factor or trigger, but not the absolute cause.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #10
Havah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwick View Post
Sounds alot like my childhood, right down to my dad, brother and menstruation time. My second child was diagnosed with ASD at age 2, and I also have a first cousin who has Aspergers (and his dad, my mom's brother probably had it too)

I only selected the dietary/environmental etc. exposure as I have never been on birth control, and the only pitocin I had was for DD1's birth (and not an induction, but to restart labour after the epi slowed it down)

I guess the only differences in my 1st and 2nd pregnancy was the fact that I was on 2 drugs for morning sickness for the first 4 months or so the 2nd time around.

DD2 was delayed for vaxing (not on purpose, she kept getting colds and I would put it off) and has not even had the MMR yet due to allergies. I, too, think they can be a factor or trigger, but not the absolute cause.
Wow! I don't want to say "I'm glad I'm not the only one", but in a weird way, I am. Your story is intriguing, to say the least ...

FWIW, I'm going to try an experiment this summer: the whole family is going to go "low-tox" (eliminate aluminums, pthalates, and carcinogens to the best of our ability while going largely Weston Price + herbal remedies) for a minimum of two months. I'll be watching for an improvement in DS' focus and impulse-control (within reason), a reduction in DD1's skin allergies, and an improvement in my mood & energy (don't really have any concerns for DD2!) I'll be keeping this thread updated ...