Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #31
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I am just so angry right now :( :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
If your homeowner paperwork inspection says no lead, you could sue. If you have a landlord, I believe they are legally required to disclose. I'd look into a lawyer...
I will look for the inspection paperwork but I have no clue where it is. I own the home not rent.

Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #32
gigismomma
Registered Users
seller

How high is your 2 year old's lead level?
I have read that there are ways to help the body fight it off (supplemental iron, I think? It blocks the absorption of lead).
Otherwise I think everyone else has the same suggestions I do -- paint over it, dust the windowsills often, wash their hands after they play outside.
I can understand why you are angry and stressed about it, I hope you can find some help.
gigismomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #33
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigismomma View Post
How high is your 2 year old's lead level?
I have read that there are ways to help the body fight it off (supplemental iron, I think? It blocks the absorption of lead).
Otherwise I think everyone else has the same suggestions I do -- paint over it, dust the windowsills often, wash their hands after they play outside.
I can understand why you are angry and stressed about it, I hope you can find some help.
It was 49 and is currently 23. We have been upping her iron and calcium naturally through food and it seems to be helping.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #34
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitneywalters View Post
The inside of the house has very little lead in it actually. There was a fire in this house and the inside was redone several years ago. The only place where there is lead is where the insurance did not cover to have things replaced, like windows, outside siding, basement windows and a wall in the front porch. We already replaced the two large windows in the living room, the windows in the kitchen, the windows in my daughter's room/nursery and kitchen.
What kind of siding is on it now? I'd try to figure out a way to cover everything up with vinyl. A full tear off is going to be expensive (well, depending on where you life) which is what we ended up doing. Home Depot has some custom order Anderson basement windows that are very nice if they are the small sized windows. They were about $100 and the same price as the off the shelf when I got ours. Our basement were just a pain as they were metal and we had to build a frame and put them in. Can you cover over the wall with new drywall or beadboard?
Old 05-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #35
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs View Post
What kind of siding is on it now? I'd try to figure out a way to cover everything up with vinyl. A full tear off is going to be expensive (well, depending on where you life) which is what we ended up doing. Home Depot has some custom order Anderson basement windows that are very nice if they are the small sized windows. They were about $100 and the same price as the off the shelf when I got ours. Our basement were just a pain as they were metal and we had to build a frame and put them in. Can you cover over the wall with new drywall or beadboard?
It is wood right now. We are looking into windows for the upstairs and might just board over the basement ones for now.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #36
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No advice, just . I'm sorry you are having to deal with this!
Old 05-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #37
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:
It is wood right now. We are looking into windows for the upstairs and might just board over the basement ones for now.
We pulled our our wood ones - they were nasty when we pulled them out from rot. We did Marvin upstairs, vinyl/American Craftsman in the porch and bathroom and Anderson in 3 of the 5 windows (I have to do the two more and not sure what I will do). They are all nice windows. The Marvin/Anderson look the best but for cheap, I'm just as happy with the American Craftsman which were significantly cheaper.

In the meanwhile, I'd go to HD/Lowes and get a shop vac with a good heppa filter and shop vac everything and wash it down with even just water. Instead of boarding up, which might be a safety issue in case of emergency, just get the heavy duty plastic and tyvek tape (it is far stronger than regular tape but harder to use) or another heavy duty tape and just tape it all up. (we've spent many hours preparing to do work and its all been worth it). That way, someone could rip the plastic if needed.

Do you have carpet or hardwood floors? If the paint is chipping and getting on the floors, that could be an issue too.

If it helps, we have noticed our utility bills drop these past two years which makes up for some of the costs but it has also been a warm winter. So, there may be some benefit cost to it.

I normally would never say this, but would it make sense to get an credit card that gives you one year interest free and then just keep transferring the balance yearly till you can pay it off. I'd only say to do this in an emergency, but this is one.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #38
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs View Post
We pulled our our wood ones - they were nasty when we pulled them out from rot. We did Marvin upstairs, vinyl/American Craftsman in the porch and bathroom and Anderson in 3 of the 5 windows (I have to do the two more and not sure what I will do). They are all nice windows. The Marvin/Anderson look the best but for cheap, I'm just as happy with the American Craftsman which were significantly cheaper.

In the meanwhile, I'd go to HD/Lowes and get a shop vac with a good heppa filter and shop vac everything and wash it down with even just water. Instead of boarding up, which might be a safety issue in case of emergency, just get the heavy duty plastic and tyvek tape (it is far stronger than regular tape but harder to use) or another heavy duty tape and just tape it all up. (we've spent many hours preparing to do work and its all been worth it). That way, someone could rip the plastic if needed.

Do you have carpet or hardwood floors? If the paint is chipping and getting on the floors, that could be an issue too.

If it helps, we have noticed our utility bills drop these past two years which makes up for some of the costs but it has also been a warm winter. So, there may be some benefit cost to it.

I normally would never say this, but would it make sense to get an credit card that gives you one year interest free and then just keep transferring the balance yearly till you can pay it off. I'd only say to do this in an emergency, but this is one.

Floor is mostly wood and a credit card may be an option but I doubt we can get one to cover all the costs.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:18 PM   #39
Ciarrawuvscd
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Ciarrawuvscd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:28 AM   #40
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:
Floor is mostly wood and a credit card may be an option but I doubt we can get one to cover all the costs.
Just make sure to use a heppa filter in a vacuum and wipe down the floors with a drop of water - don't use too much or it will ruin it. We DIY'ed our wood (we did it in stages to make it more manageable) and rented a very basic sander from HD and it was easier than it sounds. (the floors and the windows were far easier than people "warned us about" telling us we could not DIY).