Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #11
CurlyQ215
Registered Users
seller

Re: flying with a 3mo old?

You could box the car seat up, if you want. Someone who worked at an airline told me that checking the seat when you check in is a bit better, actually, and she always had her own daughter do it that way. When they gate check things, they all get tossed down a slide thing on top of each other so she believed it was actually harder on the seat. There's no perfect answer, but I would consider boxing it up rather than dragging it through the airport if you're nervous about it. I haven't been on a flight recently that had extra seats, so I wouldn't count on that although I know it happens :-/

Advertisement

CurlyQ215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #12
lotemp
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Bring a stroller even if you wear your baby. Going to the bathroom wearing a baby can be done, but it is not fun or pretty. Plus, you can wheel your purse and diaper bag (the only carry ons I bring) through the airport and gate check the stroller. You don't have to pay to luggage check your car seat. Do bring a birth certificate b/c apparently some airlines (SW) can't tell that a 3 month old infant is obviously younger than 2 and can be a lap child. Or they just like to scold mothers for forgetting to bring paper work.

lotemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:03 AM   #13
bobbyjk
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyQ215 View Post
You could box the car seat up, if you want. Someone who worked at an airline told me that checking the seat when you check in is a bit better, actually, and she always had her own daughter do it that way. When they gate check things, they all get tossed down a slide thing on top of each other so she believed it was actually harder on the seat. There's no perfect answer, but I would consider boxing it up rather than dragging it through the airport if you're nervous about it. I haven't been on a flight recently that had extra seats, so I wouldn't count on that although I know it happens :-/
To the bolded: YES! Also, when you gate check items (strollers/car seats) they do not take liability if it gets broken whereas if it is checked at the ticket booth they do.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:32 AM   #14
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessi621
It's really not a good idea to check a carseat. They get thrown around and mishandled a lot. I've seen more than one get back to the parents broken. Gate checking is better, but still not the best. You can ask them if they have any extra seats, then you might be able to bring the seat on the plane with you.
Since you don't have a bucket, this is what I'd do. Wear the baby and push the carseat around on the stroller, might have to bungee it down or something. Or, get a bag for the carseat, then you can carry it and push the baby in the stroller. Though I'm sure the carseat is heavier and much more bulky, so option #1 would be way more comfortable.
This.
I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #15
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

when we flew with DS that young we took our own carseat, but we were going to NZ and I don't like their carseat laws and seats they have available for rent. We gate checked it but reading this we will check it in next time. At 3mo having a lap child is no big deal, you'll probably end up holding her a lot anyway. But at 20m when we went to Australia and had DS as a lap child b/c he was under 2 and it saved SO much.. well, we vowed never to do that again with an older toddler with DS's convertible seat we bungee corded it to a package wheely thing (had a 200+ lb weight limit) and sat him in it, worked like a charm! we got it for $20 from Walmart for my co-op packages lol

Last edited by zandj; 05-02-2012 at 08:36 AM.
zandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #16
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

After thinking about it I don't think I'll bring the car seat. Car seat regulations in the US are so strict that I really doubt a major rental car company would have a "bad" one, I mean, define bad? It would have to comply with US regulations so I don't see a problem. Also I've never been in a rental car that wasn't clean, so I'd be shocked if the car seat wasn't clean too.

I will, however, probably bring the stroller just so I have a place to put babe down now and then.

Sleeping arrangements, on the other hand, are still a question.

Where do you put babe when sleeping at a hotel? I could cosleep, but babe rolls a lot and I don't feel good unless there's a wall or rail on the other side of babe. We have a mini-cosleeper, but I don't want to lug that around.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #17
Bella Catalina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The hotel should have pack n plays to rent you--call and check, and bring your own sheets for it.

I flew from LAX to Australia on my own with my baby when he was that age and it was easy as. Don't know how long your flight is, but you can have a flight attendant hold your baby (or your seat mate if they're willing) if you need to use the bathroom, too.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:45 PM   #18
KatrinaLoves
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn.mcc
After thinking about it I don't think I'll bring the car seat. Car seat regulations in the US are so strict that I really doubt a major rental car company would have a "bad" one, I mean, define bad? It would have to comply with US regulations so I don't see a problem. Also I've never been in a rental car that wasn't clean, so I'd be shocked if the car seat wasn't clean too.

I will, however, probably bring the stroller just so I have a place to put babe down now and then.

Sleeping arrangements, on the other hand, are still a question.

Where do you put babe when sleeping at a hotel? I could cosleep, but babe rolls a lot and I don't feel good unless there's a wall or rail on the other side of babe. We have a mini-cosleeper, but I don't want to lug that around.
I've known hospitals to give out expired carseats; I wouldn't expect a car rental company to definitely have decent ones . They might though! I'd call ahead to the location to see what carseats they use, and ask for manufacturing dates. If they sound confused by the question, then the seats are probably unreliable... No real way of knowing, in that situation.

If they assure you the seats are not expired, write down the rep's name. That way, if you get there and the seat is expired, you can go buy a $39 scenera from Walmart and make them reimburse you for the seat, "because xxx falsely assured you their seats were current and legal".

So many people are misinformed on carseat safety, I don't trust nobody!
KatrinaLoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:25 AM   #19
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn.mcc View Post
You have no idea the history of the seat. They could have washed the straps as part of the sterilizing process, which ruins them. Many people don't know that.

What are you going to do if you get there and they are giving you a seat that isn't appropriate for your baby. People have gotten to rental places before and been given a booster for a young baby. Its a "carseat."

What are you going to do if you get there and the seat is disgusting?

What are you going to do if you get there and the one they promised you is not available?

I would not use a car rental seat. Plus, they are often more expensive than just buying a $39 Scenara at Wal-mart and chucking it at the end of the trip.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:40 AM   #20
jacksmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyQ215 View Post
If I were in your shoes, I would check the car seat (well padded) and simply carry your baby. The first time we flew, we just used a carrier, but I had my husband to lug our carry ons. The 2nd time, I was alone, and I was glad for the stroller (that I gate checked) so I could wear my baby and put my heavy old backpack in the stroller. Bonus - you CAN wear your baby through security in a carrier - so, so much easier. They just have to do a quick swab of your hands afterward to make sure you don't have explosive residue on them.

Also, bring shot records or a birth certificate copy so you can verify her age. Some airlines are picky about this even if the baby isn't even remotely close to 2 years of age!
they have always made me take my baby out of the carrier through security.