Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-25-2012, 02:06 PM   #21
tandiwe76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is tap water okay?

Water is one of those things...like whether to eat organic or not, whether to take some medications or not...each person has such a different baseline of what they consider "healthy".

I would second the PP and recommend you research the effects of fluoride. This is a neutral site exploring the issue:
http://www.slweb.org/fluoridation.html
This is an article for the CSM that goes into the history of fluoridation:
http://www.fluoridealert.org/wastenot414.htm

Also, check out reports about the concentrations of pharmaceuticals in many municipal water sources. Many common medications like birth control, blood thinners, etc, end up recirculating into the public water supply! In some cities' downstream areas they've found fish that are chock-full of birth control meds. I heard about one city where at the end of the weekend the amount of illegal drugs in the city tap water supply skyrockets, after people party on the weekends, pee it out, and it gets treated and put back into circulation. If the water is from a river, what levels of agricultural runoff, pesticides, herbicides, animal antibiotics, etc, may be in that water?

I never drink tap water anywhere, unless its a well in a more isolated area without a lot of commercial agriculture. We refill 5 gal jugs with RO filter water from the store. We're getting a RO (reverse osmosis) water filter system under the kitchen sink to use for all cooking and drinking water. Knowing that my kids aren't being exposed to unnecessary chemicals just makes me feel better about their long term health. I feel like with how much chemical exposure is unavoidable in our world, I might as well reduce any exposures I can.

Advertisement

tandiwe76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #22
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

I would never use tap water. There are way too many gross things in it such as fluoride, chlorine, heavy metals, etc. we bought a reverse osmosis water filter and we use that water for DS's formula and our drinking water. we don't boil.
JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #23
ilka132002
Registered Users

I've given LO tap water, but we have one of those Brita filters on the faucet so it makes me feel alot better.
ilka132002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #24
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

well, we used staight tap water and everything has been fine... I know we have pretty good water quality though, other places I've lived I never would have...

now to switch over to cow's milk....
RockinLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:15 AM   #25
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeChickVee View Post
I would never use tap water. There are way too many gross things in it such as fluoride, chlorine, heavy metals, etc. we bought a reverse osmosis water filter and we use that water for DS's formula and our drinking water. we don't boil.

I would love a filter like that, but it's not going to happen, nowhere near in the budget.
RockinLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #26
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinLou View Post
I would love a filter like that, but it's not going to happen, nowhere near in the budget.
that's one of those things that is absolutely worth budgeting in. either that or buying reverse osmosis filtered water, but even that isn't too great if it's in plastic bottles. you can get them for around $150 at home depot. save a little bit every week!

ETA: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

this filter is fine. i personally got a $400 14 stage filter, but the water in our city is DISGUSTING. like SO nasty and full of tons of contaminants.

Last edited by JustSomeChickVee; 05-05-2012 at 04:55 PM.
JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #27
BooneNicuMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For what it's worth, we had two preterm babies ( 25 weeks and 31 weeks this matters due to being more susceptible to getting sick ) and the 25 weeker took so long to be old enough to nurse I never gotta really bf so she went straight to bottle once home. She had a brita filter pitcher with the water for her formula in it, and that's as much as we did. That is also what the NICU told us to do. Of course the NICU before recommending what water to use, looked up our water reports for us =) They said straight tap wouldn't harm her a bit, but they always prefer some filtration over none. Just an added safety is all. Not a thing more in our case.

Abby (11) Hailey (9) Katlyn (6) Savanna (2) Grace (1) Angel baby May 2011, and Angel Baby Dec 25th 2011. & ANNABELLE Oct. 17th 2012!!!
BooneNicuMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #28
delladea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have well water that's been tested for contaminants (all clear!). It's still mineral-heavy even after going through three filters and a softener. I drink it from the tap, but filter through a Brita and boil it for my 5wk old daughter until she's a bit older
delladea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #29
delladea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have well water that's been tested for contaminants (all clear!). It's still mineral-heavy even after going through three filters and a softener. I drink it from the tap, but filter through a Brita and boil it for my 5wk old daughter until she's a bit older
delladea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:26 PM   #30
Paislie98
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We use tap
Paislie98 is offline   Reply With Quote