Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
KaylaJayne
Registered Users
seller

Uber Gassy Baby...

Any suggestions?

Baby is super gassy after he eats... and he cries whenever he burps and he has a really hard time passing gas. He also spits up almost every single time he burps.

I have cut out caffeine and it didn't do anything to change his behavior; cut out dairy and it didn't do anything to change his behavior either. I am on an antibiotic but his gassy-ness started before the antibiotic.

I tried gas drops, they were useless... I tried gripe water, they don't do much of anything either. I'm afraid he might have reflux (DS1 had reflux) and my options with DS1 were to put him on soy formula - which I dont' want to do with DS2

Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
SarahS12
Registered Users

How long did you cut out dairy? It needs to be cut out for a minimum of 3 to 4 weeks before it is out of your system. This helped my baby with the painful gas, but he is stll super gassy I also have heard that the process of digestion and passing gas can just be upsetting to some babies because the feeling of it is so new.
SarahS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
KaylaJayne
Registered Users
seller

Re: Uber Gassy Baby...

Hmmm... I only cut it out for about a week - maybe I should make it longer... In all honesty though I don't eat/drink much dairy. A dash of milk in my coffee is about it.

Yeah I'm wondering if he's just going to be a gassy baby... I just feel so bad for him
Old 04-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Depending on the baby, that dash of milk might just be what's bothering him. You should start there and see how it goes. If there's no improvement then it might be something else in your diet that is bothering him. For my dd tomato sauce, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, beans and dairy all sent her into screaming fits for hours. Some of my friends have babies with sesame sensitivities (so no hummus) and surprisingly I have a friend who's daughter cannot handle probiotics. Either through breast milk or directly (and I'm talking dairy free ones as well). I had to do an elimination diet to figure it out, and yes it stinks for a while to only be able to eat very few things, but it really narrows it down and helps you get a happy baby. If none of that works then maybe you just have a gassy one Sorry. I hope you figure it out.
Mara'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What about soy? That can be problematic, and unfortunately it's in a lot of foods.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
JAGRRS
Registered Users

Is your LO getting enough hindmilk? The poop should be yellow, seedy - green if getting more foremilk than hindmilk. Not enough hindmilk and more foremilk can cause gas.
JAGRRS is offline   Reply With Quote