Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
bai18176
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Should I supplement, and with what?

My youngest is now 10 months and wakes me 4-6 times a night to nurse. She acts like she is really hungry, nurses for what seems an adequate amount of time, and goes back to bed. Do you think a bottle right before bed might help? At least if it is a supply issue? Pumping isn't helping, so it would have to be something else. I have never supplemented but I am desperate for sleep with 4 kids!
Also, she seems to have a dairy sensitivity. I cant drink milk because of the spit up that follows, and the few times I gave her yogurt resulted in massive green diarea. I also don't want soy, so what other options are there?
Thanks for any ideas!

Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Not sure about what formula to use. How often does she eat during the day? Why do you think its a supply issue?

If you need a good nights sleep (no judgement here! I have been there!), maybe just night wean her? She may decide to eat more solids or just more daytime milk. If i had let ds, he would have gotten 90% of his milk during sleeping hours (no joke). I think someone told me nighttime milk is different than day milk. Maybe some babes can tell a difference and have a preference?
RunawayBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Should I supplement, and with what?

Bottle ok just find formula ok 4 baby & try cereal in bottle & somestimes u have to just go with flow & not supply issue or anything.
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by abunchoflemons
Bottle ok just find formula ok 4 baby & try cereal in bottle & somestimes u have to just go with flow & not supply issue or anything.
Please do not put cereal in her bottle. Unfortunately that's normal for a child her age. DS was the same way. He still wakes up at night.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by abunchoflemons
I would advise against cereal as well. There is no nutritional value to it. Maybe she's hitting a growth spurt and is trying to up your supply. Milk supply is lowest in the evening but prolactin (milk making hormone) is at it's peak. So cluster feeding at night will increase milk supply.

For some babies it's just their norm. My DS had to literally be latched on (during sleep) the entire first year!! This too shall pass Mama

Last edited by Connor; 05-02-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
dncegrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It feels like my son is nursing all night long too! I had gotten into the habit of giving him a bottle because I was working full time and absolutely needed sleep to function at work. Now that I am not working, I stopped the night bottle and wow! He nurses all night long. I didnt realize that until I stopped with the bottle. This shall pass though!
dncegrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #7
lilmomma83
Registered Users

I think it's a normal phase too. Even my bottle fed baby woke at that age lol
lilmomma83 is offline   Reply With Quote