Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #11
judeabug
Registered Users
seller

Re: Redness and Irritation from Cloth. Help!

I think using some powder will likely help. We use unbleached flour, but I've heard cornstarch works great as well. You might also try stripping your diapers and trying a different detergent, just to see if that's the culprit. Both Charlie's Soap and Rockin' Green give my kiddos rashes.

As Deanna mentioned, I've also found it's helpful to use the largest setting that will still keep the diaper on. Or just going up a size. Even though a Medium will fit my son, the snugness of it gives him a rash pretty quickly, so I've found that putting him a Large [and I guess giving him that extra breathing room] has helped a ton!

Advertisement

WAHM behind Serwa Chic:Cloth Diapers, Nursing Covers, Wetbags & Long Sleeve Bibs!My Family Blog: Jenny.erally Speak.ing
judeabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #12
Amedlin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueone View Post
You could try some cornstarch based baby powder. That helped my DS. Stay dry material causes rashes so after talking with the ped. she suggested powder. It draws moisture from the the skin so it sort of does the same thing as stay dry material to an extent.
Does the cornstarch affect the absorbency of the diapers in any negative way like diaper rash cream does?
Old 05-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #13
Amedlin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by judeabug View Post
Both Charlie's Soap and Rockin' Green give my kiddos rashes.
And wouldn't you know that those are the only two detergents I have ever used! What kind of detergent would you recommend?
Old 05-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #14
Amedlin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServingHim View Post
He may need stay dry. Sounds like his skin is irritated by the wetness which wouldn't be the case in sposies. My son tends to get red on his boy parts when not in stay dry. We still use cotton diapers sometimes just not all the time. Maybe you could use stay dry 50% of the time.
I would try a stay dry diaper like a pocket or add a fleece liner to his diapers. I know motherease makes stay dry doublers.
This makes sense and it's worth the try. I wish they would make some type of stay-dry from natural fibers.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #15
momma_dna
Registered Users
seller
seller

Is any of the material hemp? My DS is irritated by it and was getting red is the same areas. I figured it out when I stopped using our hemp wipes.
momma_dna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #16
angelacez
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd try stripping the diapers first! It's a lot quicker and even if you only stripped half and use them right then, you'd be able to see if that was the problem. We'd gone a while year before this was a problem, then over night it was NUTS! I thought it was cotton but it wasn't. Now I put a little dish washing soap in every load, keeps them stripped and no more red! But fleece liners are a very good idea also and very cheap to cut for yourself.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #17
buzzannie
Registered Users

My word, this sounds like us, except different type of diapers!! My daughter had no cloth issues and I was loving it! My 17-month old has been a different story. He has super sensitive skin. I found he didn't like pre-folds and it was better using a stay-dry pocket. So, my sweet friend made me some one-size PUL/suedecloth pockets. It seemed to help a bit, but his redness never really goes away. He's a super-soaker and very active. He also gets red irritations on his legs where the diaper rubs. So, I am researching all of this too. I have him in disposables right now because I just can't take it anymore (for his sake). I also notice he's sensitive to laundry soaps. We had issues with one of the brands, haven't tried the other one though. I use homemade laundry soap and he can't use those either. So, I am stripping his diapers tonight and running them on hot and rinsing with vinegar to see if that helps! I just want you to know I understand how you feel! I am so sad because I LOVE using cloth. We are expecting another little boy this September and I so want to have this figured out by then!!
Hang in there, and I have loved what everyone has suggested.
One thing I was thinking was that maybe ours is having a PUL issue, so I might try and get some fleece going. But due to switching to pockets, I don't know how those will work and be waterproof!!
buzzannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #18
Chriscia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
With my dd we found the only inner that didn't make her red was bamboo. We tried everything and ended up getting bamboo fabric to line all her diapers.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #19
mercyscreation
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amedlin View Post
This makes sense and it's worth the try. I wish they would make some type of stay-dry from natural fibers.
SILK! Silk is a natural stay dry fabric. You can go to goodwill and buy a nasty old silk shirt and cut it up to make liners.
~Alicia wife to bestie for 6 years ! Mommy to 2 beauties Gracie (1/30/10) & Lily (6/20/06), and my strong man Declan (5/4/12). I'm a CD'ing, sometimes wearing, exclusive BF, extended rear facing & harnessing, super frugal SAHM!
mercyscreation is offline   Reply With Quote