Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
Mama2Gage
Registered Users
Formerly: MamabearSmilee
seller
seller

My Mood:
Will I regret? Help me make a decision!

My DS is around 21lb and 15m old and skinny! I realized one day his thirsties size 2 covers were starting to gape at the legs especially when he sat down which was causing some leaks which we NEVER had.(he has very skinny legs BTW) his waist was also getting smaller it seemed and instead of going forward in size I was having to snap the waist at the smallest setting.. I thought maybe the elastic was wearing out but it was the same in the blueberry cover I had too. The Red GMD prefolds were also fitting awkwardly and were slightly too long in the rise and just super bulky around his legs. DS was also getting wiggly and hard to change while trying to fold/snappi/and cover and I was getting exhausted after every diaper change. So for those reasons we switched to the grovia A12's and so far it's been working out ok for us. I don't like having to use more shells due to the smell/poo getting on them , and the soaker bunching up but I LOVE the fit, it's fast and easy!
With all that being said I'm not sure if I should keep my prefolds/flats & covers to use as backup. I don't want to regret getting rid of them incase the Grovia's don't work for us anymore one day. should I keep the prefolds but sell the flats (they are tiedye and I have hardly used them but they are SOOO cute!) or sell both of them? I only have 13 grovia soakers which is about 2 days worth give or take and I have 7 very well loved BGE's that I use for going out, naps and backup when I run out of grovia soakers. When I had used the flats I found that they weren't very absorbant without a doubler which I don't have many of and Using them as folded diapers just isn't what I really would like to do since it takes so long to get the fit just right. I pad-folded them into the grovia shells when I ran out of soakers once but they also get soaked quickly and cause the shell to get wet. I have tried to use the prefolds with the grovia covers and it was just too bulky so If I kept the prefolds I would need to keep some covers too. I really don't want extra fluff around if I'm not going to use it and it takes up space as well. HELP ME DECIDE!!

Advertisement

Last edited by Mama2Gage; 05-02-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Mama2Gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
Mama2LilBug
Registered Users

Re: Will I regret? Help me make a decision!

Could you take your Thirsties size twos and adjust the rise snaps on the sides to be the shortest length while leaving the center snap at a medium rise? I notice on DD (18 months, almost 25lbs) that sometimes I have to snap the waist to where the snaps have no gaps in-between them. (i.e. the two snaps on one wing are right next to each other in stead of having one snap between them on the body of the diaper... if that makes sense...). I converted a dozen of my red-edged GMD prefolds into fitteds and I think that has helped us tremendously... Easier to get them on DD, and extra insurance at the leg holes.

Lindsey
Mama2LilBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:41 AM   #3
nutkase
Registered Users
seller

I would sell most (if not all) of the prefolds/flats/covers and use that to fund more gro-vias since that's what's working and you like them.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:50 AM   #4
MomdeIsla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutkase View Post
I would sell most (if not all) of the prefolds/flats/covers and use that to fund more gro-vias since that's what's working and you like them.
I would to....if you are attached to the tie dye keep those if you r planning on another baby if not....sell away.

If money is tight....sell to fund what works....toddlers get slimmer as they grow taller...then they PL!
Old 05-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
Mama2Gage
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2LilBug View Post
Could you take your Thirsties size twos and adjust the rise snaps on the sides to be the shortest length while leaving the center snap at a medium rise? I notice on DD (18 months, almost 25lbs) that sometimes I have to snap the waist to where the snaps have no gaps in-between them. (i.e. the two snaps on one wing are right next to each other in stead of having one snap between them on the body of the diaper... if that makes sense...). I converted a dozen of my red-edged GMD prefolds into fitteds and I think that has helped us tremendously... Easier to get them on DD, and extra insurance at the leg holes.

Lindsey
It makes sense but that would totally bug me with it bunching up! I had some fitteds for night that were inbetween snaps and the end snaps didn't have anything to snap to so it hung down and it bothered me even though I just put a wool soaker over it. I didn't think it would be too comfy for DS. I sold those off, even though in the future they would probably work and got some that fit better (aplix and snapless) Did you convert your prefolds yourself or by a WAHM? I LOVE the softness and quickdrying of prefolds and just hate to get rid of them but have considered GMD's worhorse IF I can find some cheap used snapless ones on FSOT. but I think it's wishful thinking for now. Converting sounds like a good idea but I haven't sewed in years! I would feel more comfortable having someone else do it and the prefolds I have were sooo cheap I don't know if it would be worth it. Hmmm leaning towards selling the flats and keeping the prefolds!
Old 05-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
tcat160
Registered Users

I also found Grovia love with my skinny guy, and have been pondering on thinning my 24 prefold stash down to 12. I can't really help you but wanted you to know you're not alone! lol
Mommy to my sweet rose and my hunky monkey and my lucky little man Wife to my #1 guy
tcat160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #7
Mama2Gage
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm realizing that there is gaping at the legs when my DS sits down. I even snapped the side rise snaps on the smaller setting and it still was gaping though was too tight when he stood up. To me the grovia inserts are bulky in between the legs instead of the hips like prefolds. I've noticed that when he sits down he pulls at the bunch in-between his legs! Maybe my DS legs are just super skinny And we'll just have to deal...
Old 05-03-2012, 12:57 AM   #8
RealMommyLife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've found Dinkledooz have really really amazing elastic that is gentle but fits snug. They are 14.95 new at gogonatural,com and are OS. Pretty trim too, I wear them on my toddler and my 3 month old. They have a very satin like pul too, so they are super soft. Plus there's a coupon code for a free os diaper when you spend 30.00. It's ongoing. CDCHANNELOS

If you break your order up you can keep getting more free diapers. Oh and the free diaper is the dinkledooz