Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #71
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Would you let your 3yo SON....

No. There are still far too many instances where earrings are not acceptable (corporate America) or downright prohibited (school and military) for a boy.

Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #72
ruvalokiteshvara
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby View Post
See that is how I feel so I don't know why I am even torn. I let him go out wearing hair bows and headbands when he asks to. I honestly don't care. I also feel like ear piercings are something that he can choose to not wear earrings if he goes through a phase of not wanting them etc. Piercings aren't like tattoos ya know. I just need to find a place to pierce his ears that will have some less girly earring options.
Didn't read all the replies, but I would let him do it. DW always said she wanted to pierce a baby's ears if we had a girl, and I said only if I was allowed to pierce a baby boy's ears! But, if my child asked, I would say yes.

As to where - I would take him to either a tattoo/piercing parlour or a pediatrician (if you can find one that won't give you a hard time). I had mine done at the ped's office when I was 11 - much more sterile than the mall! And you can always replace plain studs with something else (even though plain studs are gender-neutral enough anyway).

Freethinker - Free Ranger - Free for All
ruvalokiteshvara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:17 PM   #73
~Sherry~
Registered Users
seller

I'm more traditional, I'd say no. I've never dated a guy with ears pierced or tattoos, though in the past 4 years DH has gotten 2 tattoos (foot prints for B, a profile outline of Em on the back of each calf) and will get 1 more for Baby #3. Other than my uncle we don't have guys in my family with earrings or tattoos either, same with DHs family.
~Sherry~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:38 PM   #74
aldermother
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We're a CDing (potty-learned), co-sleeping (bunk beds), extended BFing (weaned), baby-wearing (big boy-wearing), non-circing, Waldorf loving, tree-hugging, hand-me-downs-welcome Earth friendly family!
PT preschool teacher& FT Mama to my beautiful tree & our little growing sapling

Last edited by aldermother; 07-11-2012 at 12:58 PM.
aldermother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:52 PM   #75
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No but i wouldnt let my 3 year old DD get hers done. if DS wanted to do it when he was a teen i would be ok with that
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #76
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey View Post
I just think earrings on boys look SO tacky
me too, i saw a little kid about 5 with a mohawk and an earring and i thought it made him look very trashy
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #77
kai_e
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

No I wouldn't but my rule would apply to both genders. They can get their ears pierced when they can understand the impact, fully take care of them and pay for it.
kai_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #78
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
me too, i saw a little kid about 5 with a mohawk and an earring and i thought it made him look very trashy
I actually don't prefer the look of ear rings on little boys (I like grown men with piercings) but HE wants them and my kids wear lots of things that I think look tacky or are not my style.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:03 AM   #79
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
No. There are still far too many instances where earrings are not acceptable (corporate America) or downright prohibited (school and military) for a boy.
I don't find that to be true in "corp America" in the DC area, I see many, many professionals in suits with long hair, tats and earrings
And in our school system, nothing has ever been said. They only can't wear them for sports, but neither can the girls. Boys have long hair, earrings, colored hair, it doesn't matter here. And who is to say my DS would work in corp america? or could take his earrings out later.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby View Post
I actually don't prefer the look of ear rings on little boys (I like grown men with piercings) but HE wants them and my kids wear lots of things that I think look tacky or are not my style.
I let my kids pick their clothes, etc, even if it's something I don't like. I don't think it looks tacky on MY boys...but they have dreads and long hair, etc, so it fits with them. It can look tacky on some, I suppose.
Have you made up your mind, OP?

Last edited by bluedaisyma; 05-03-2012 at 09:05 AM.
bluedaisyma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #80
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisyma View Post

I let my kids pick their clothes, etc, even if it's something I don't like. I don't think it looks tacky on MY boys...but they have dreads and long hair, etc, so it fits with them. It can look tacky on some, I suppose.
Have you made up your mind, OP?
When I said little boys I meant like very little boys, not pre teens or teens and I honestly don't think I would think they were tacky on DS, ya know cuz he is mine and always cute

I am going to let him do it, just looking for a place to get them done. I think we might wait until school is out for this year simply because he is in pre school and I don't want the other kids messing with them when they are brand new (kids seem to be attracted to new things). As for boys not being allowed to wear ear rings at school, that sucks for those kids. That is not a rule at our school.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote