Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #21
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: flying with a 3mo old?

yerp, another vote against not using the rental car seats

when we traveled internationally we rented pack n plays, highchairs etc from baby equipment rental companies

Advertisement

Old 05-04-2012, 07:27 AM   #22
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyQ215 View Post
If I were in your shoes, I would check the car seat (well padded) and simply carry your baby. The first time we flew, we just used a carrier, but I had my husband to lug our carry ons. The 2nd time, I was alone, and I was glad for the stroller (that I gate checked) so I could wear my baby and put my heavy old backpack in the stroller. Bonus - you CAN wear your baby through security in a carrier - so, so much easier. They just have to do a quick swab of your hands afterward to make sure you don't have explosive residue on them.

Also, bring shot records or a birth certificate copy so you can verify her age. Some airlines are picky about this even if the baby isn't even remotely close to 2 years of age!
I have always had to remove the baby from the carrier through security. Even a sleeping newborn had to removed.

Tell the airline you are travelling with an infant and ask about a bassinet, which would mean you would have a bulkhead seat. Even if it is a short hop, a bassinet is nice because it gives you a place to put the baby down if you haven't a seat spared next to you. Changing a diaper in an airplane bathroom can be done, but a bassinet is far easier.
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #23
Msheidiann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We just got back from plane trip with our 7 month old. We bought an inexpensive convertible that we will leave with my in-laws. I would gate check your carseat. DH worked for a car rental company a long time ago and I would NOT use one of their's, like ever.

I wore baby when I was checking our bags, then had to take him out to go through security. I wore him onto the plane, but again had to unbuckle my carrier for takeoff (funny though out of 4 legs, only 2 times was I asked to take him out). but yes, you can just hold baby the whole time :0)

I wouldn't hold my breath on an empty seat, they are kind of non-existent these days. I have flown 9 legs in the past 3 weeks and there wasn't an empty seat in one...they were asking people to go later! Crazy.

You'll do great!
Old 05-04-2012, 08:01 AM   #24
CurlyQ215
Registered Users
seller

I'm really surprised by the number of people who had to remove babies from a carrier (I'm not talking an infant bucket seat, but an Ergo). I've done it 4 times without ever a question or hesitation. The TSA website says:

"Infants and small children may be carried through the metal detector, but if the alarm sounds, the officer will have to conduct additional screening on both the passenger and the child. If a baby is carried through the metal detector in a sling, additional screening may be required even if there isn’t an alarm"

The additional screening was always swabbing my hands for explosive residue (takes 2 seconds). It's worth a shot - not sure if you want to print out the TSA guidelines to bring, but it sure is a heck of a lot easier to leave them attached! No one even batted an eye, though, when I did it.

You cannot, however, wear your baby during take off and landing in any type of sling or carrier. I usually leave my carrier on, though, so when she falls asleep I can pull the straps up and have my hands free (just not during take off and landing).

I would consider buying a cosco scenara, leaving it packaged, and checking it at check in rather than renting.
CurlyQ215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #25
CurlyQ215
Registered Users
seller

Also, it helped me to remember that MOST people you'll be around love babies :-)
Old 05-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #26
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn.mcc
After thinking about it I don't think I'll bring the car seat. Car seat regulations in the US are so strict that I really doubt a major rental car company would have a "bad" one, I mean, define bad? It would have to comply with US regulations so I don't see a problem. Also I've never been in a rental car that wasn't clean, so I'd be shocked if the car seat wasn't clean too.

I will, however, probably bring the stroller just so I have a place to put babe down now and then.

Sleeping arrangements, on the other hand, are still a question.

Where do you put babe when sleeping at a hotel? I could cosleep, but babe rolls a lot and I don't feel good unless there's a wall or rail on the other side of babe. We have a mini-cosleeper, but I don't want to lug that around.
Omg! I've seen horrific car seat rentals. Filthy, expired, nasty things! Mostly from people flying into SD and planning to use one then calling us for a seat or lift. Lol! Call ahead. Ask the expiration dates on all their seats.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:13 AM   #27
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyQ215 View Post
I'm really surprised by the number of people who had to remove babies from a carrier (I'm not talking an infant bucket seat, but an Ergo). I've done it 4 times without ever a question or hesitation. The TSA website says:

"Infants and small children may be carried through the metal detector, but if the alarm sounds, the officer will have to conduct additional screening on both the passenger and the child. If a baby is carried through the metal detector in a sling, additional screening may be required even if there isn’t an alarm"

The additional screening was always swabbing my hands for explosive residue (takes 2 seconds). It's worth a shot - not sure if you want to print out the TSA guidelines to bring, but it sure is a heck of a lot easier to leave them attached! No one even batted an eye, though, when I did it.

You cannot, however, wear your baby during take off and landing in any type of sling or carrier. I usually leave my carrier on, though, so when she falls asleep I can pull the straps up and have my hands free (just not during take off and landing).

I would consider buying a cosco scenara, leaving it packaged, and checking it at check in rather than renting.
I would definitely put baby in a carrier for the airport and journey (carrier not seat). I just wanted the mama to know that she may be asked to remove the babe. You're already flustered traveling alone, removing shoes with a baby in carrier, etc... etc... (on that note-- wear easily slipped on shoes and make sure your pockets are already empty to save some steps). Didn't want her to be surprised that she may be asked to remove the baby. I guess "additional screening" is up to the agent, because I have never been permitted to keep the baby in the carrier through security.
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #28
JadeScarlet
Registered Users

A small infant carseat (like a graco snugride) fits in the overhead compartment so you can bring it on board and stuff it overhead as a carryon. Not sure about a graco 35 which is a little bigger, but the 20lb infant seat fits (on TAM and Continental/United).

One flight (TAM airlines) we had the carseat with us in the seat, and DS was in it asleep. We were told by the flight attendant that it was against airline policy to have a child in a carseat during takeoff and landing and that we had to hold him. Which was awful because he was already asleep and cranky after I woke him up.

On a long flight, try to get in the front - there is a bassinet where you can put the baby down if they fall asleep.

We have a graco carseat and stroller frame. Last time we gatechecked the carseat and frame as two separate pieces and picked them up at the gate on the other end. We also bring the ergo with us. Sometimes DS will wake up cranky so we put him in the ergo and walk up and down the aisles of the plane as long as there is no turbulence.

If you want to rent a carseat, double check with the rental car company.

Most hotels I've stayed at in the US provided a crib.

I've been on 4 flights (round trip - 8 if you count each individual flight) with DS, who is 8.5 months old. The white noise of the airplane is great - he sleeps really well most of the time. We only had a few instances when he didn't.

I breastfeed at takeoff and landing to help his ears, and I bring a cover since airplanes squeeze people close together and there is less privacy (normally I breastfeed in public no problem but when there are strangers sitting really close either side of you and staring it gets a little uncomfortable.)

And yes I think you need to take the baby out of the carrier to go through security. And if they need to search you, you aren't allowed to put the baby down, or hand the baby over to your husband. I had braces on my wrists and could barely hold my son when my necklace set off the metal detector and I had to stand still holding him which was extremely painful. They got really mad when I asked if I could give my baby to my husband to hold while they searched me.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #29
CurlyQ215
Registered Users
seller

Hopefully, they won't give you trouble about wearing baby through security. If they did ask me to remove my baby before going through security, I would probably just ask a polite question about it, but I wouldn't cause a scene if they insisted on it. I think is is important/good to know what the official policy seems to say so that at least you stand a chance :-) Of course, be prepared for either way!

Good advice on slip-on shoes, empty pockets, breastfeeding during take off and landing!

If the airline offers curbside check-in, that makes life a lot easier, too!
Old 05-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #30
CurlyQ215
Registered Users
seller

Hopefully, they won't give you trouble about wearing baby through security. If they did ask me to remove my baby before going through security, I would probably just ask a polite question about it, but I wouldn't cause a scene if they insisted on it. I think is is important/good to know what the official policy seems to say so that at least you stand a chance :-) Of course, be prepared for either way!

Good advice on slip-on shoes, empty pockets, breastfeeding during take off and landing!

If the airline offers curbside check-in, that makes life a lot easier, too!